SAU Community

Supercheap Autech Stagea

CeJay

The odd thing about it is the rust - not something you would expect on a 1998 japanese car that had been even reasonably looked after. Possible kept outdoors by the sea? Who know. It's also a very low price - sign of a really good bargin, or something to stay away from - hard to tell...

Its been hanging around on J-Spec for a while but not a this price. I just got home and had the email from Prestige in my inbox. The interior looks great as does most of the exterior. Its not that uncommon to find rust on suspension towers of imports (my last 2 180's have had this problem) but not usually that bad. If it was caused by the elements or something I would expect to see rust on other areas of the car. Maybe some fluid was spilt (like brake fluid, I know I have sat bottles of brake fluid on suspension towers before, not a good idea!!) and has corroded the paint causing it to rust. But for $16, 000 its well worth spending some money on as it still came in as a 3.4 grade so the rest of the car must be pretty good. Shit even if its not once it gets here you could part it out for that price. I just wish I had that money. Anyone want to by my RS4???? No seriously :) And i'll buy it!! Its not going to last long though.

Hmmm don't think I'd be shelling out anything. It's rusty, and if it's rusty in one place it wont be long before it'll appear in others. Probably wouldn't get through comliance, (shouldn't anyway). Looks like it's had a low maintenance life. My Falcon with 330,000 looks cleaner under the bonnet than this thing. Even for that price, a high performance motor with 140,000 (genuine??) km's, would need rebuilding. Looks like a very expensive restoration job to me. For just the cost of the engine rebuild alone (+ the cost of this) you can find a nice one.

The rust in the strut towers is not unusual

Due to poor building in the factory

If you look closely the seam sealant does not cover the join/overlap line in the layers of metal on the tower

So over time water/salt gets in and the rust grows

I just repainted my series 2 engine bay and found very minor rust starting in the same spot right along the seam line. You could see the seam sealant was not applied correctly allowing water/moisture to get in.

It would be worth everyone checking their car for the same signs. Also check all the seam lines in the engine bay as I had some minor rust spots between the tower and firewall aswell.

It would be almost impossible to stop/repair that rust now in that 260RS. You would have to replace the strut towers. So I dealt any compliance shop would let that car past inspection.

Yeah you can see in the first pic of the rust, a crack comes out from the seam to one of the larger spots of rust. Don't know about the random spots around it though as these are no where near the seams. The other tower doesn't look to bad at all but would like a closer look with the tower brace off! You would expect to spend money on the car when it got here. Probably a re spray (depending on what the rest of the body is like) and there would be some mechanical work to do but it does look dead stock, but the Japanese aren't exactly known for the regular service intervals :dry: There is another one there for a little over $20G too. That was the one I said had been around for a while, got it confused with this one.