SAU Community

Roll Cages - Myths And Fallacies

Roy

I have been enquiring about cages for my road car of late. And there seems to be so much misinformation floating around. So rather then propogate all the misinformation David Brown from Brown Davis Motorsport will be coming along to next weeks Club Meeting.

He builds cages for Targa Cars, drift cars, club cars, race cars...if they have cages he builds them . He is aslo on teh Advisory Board for CAMS and Vic Roads so you can walk away with all the facts and be able to decide for yourself with the right information what best suits your needs.

No i just have to save up enough money for mine :)

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=164024

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is he coming so he can get all those monkey's in GTR's business when they have to put cages in? :(

It seems thats just another BS rumour floating around. He is a nice guy and is armed with facts...lol unlike me :(

Is anyone from around Mullgrave/Glen Waverley/Dandenong going? I probably won't have a gearbox-in-car by then, but wouldn't mind going along for a chat/meal/drink, so, . . umm, . . . aaahh.. . . Can I bum a lift? :wub:

If I have any money to buy dinner by then.. . . . . (stupid dumb gearbox)

what's the cage for troy... rally stuff?

LOL...becasue if im going to hit somehting, i think im going quick enough that its going to hurt more then i like. I want a half cage so that i can run side intrusion bars that i can bolt in for the track and be legal with on the street.

The ability to actually do some things like Mt Bulla would be a bonus as well.

Is anyone from around Mullgrave/Glen Waverley/Dandenong going? I probably won't have a gearbox-in-car by then, but wouldn't mind going along for a chat/meal/drink, so, . . umm, . . . aaahh.. . . Can I bum a lift? :wub:

If I have any money to buy dinner by then.. . . . . (stupid dumb gearbox)

Post up in the meeting thread. A lot of people come from over that way. R32Bigboy. Belsil80 etc etc. Im sure someone can get you here.

As for the dinner thing, yeh i just eat ppls left overs :stupid:

This might sound silly but on the Winton and Calder days with WRX club do you have to really have a roll cage on slicks since the track is not CAMS? I know you don't need a cage on practice days. Just a thought I had recently. Do they use cams or aasa insurance?

I like the idea of a cage since being paraplegic or retard vs normal = cheap since ours cars are now going faster and the idea of using slicks turns me on.

Its a Supp Reg thing so yeh. No matter what insurance they run under the Supp Regs dictate you need a cage with slicks.

But the cost and availability for 2nd hand slicks means i offset the cost of a cage with one set of tyres :) If they arent as quick as new slicks, they cant be that bad

I'll definately have a chat to this guy. The way I see it, is you can never have too much safety gear in your car, especially in the instance of a roll-over. Good job Troy :)

for what reason is it not approved? Its padded and well designed.As for it being useless for competing in - Its a Drift car - I have taken passengers at Winton before in it.

I had my head around this 2 years ago when I was doing all the CAMS scrutineering training and prac. But not so much today. Not to mention that the cage requirements change a little every year.

Assuming your cage is like most, it does not comply with the FIA / CAMS requirements for cages. For starters if it’s a 6 point it has two many bends in the front legs. Secondly the grade, diameter and wall thickness of the main roll over hoop does not comply with the guidelines. The guidelines are a a known receip for a cage. Cmply wth that and you are fine. Go outside that and you have to spend a lot of money on engineering and FEA analysis to demonstrate the cage is meets/exceeds their guidelines. Does it interfere with the use of window/door/locking mechanicsms, sun visors etc. There are a whole host of things that mean that Jap cages don’t comply.

Competition = PC licence or higher. Not the L2S speed stuff we do :P

hahaha @ the speed stuff you do - how is that more dangerous that coming into a corner with a 170 km/h entry sideways and keeping your foot into it while banging the steering on full lock :cheers:

I have a 4 point rollcage, the top bar is a seperate peice so there is no bends, only two where it bends to the contour of the rear window. It is the approved thickness and has been padded. Made by KSP engineering in Japan.

hahaha @ the speed stuff you do - how is that more dangerous that coming into a corner with a 170 km/h entry sideways and keeping your foot into it while banging the steering on full lock :cheers:

I have a 4 point rollcage, the top bar is a seperate peice so there is no bends, only two where it bends to the contour of the rear window. It is the approved thickness and has been padded. Made by KSP engineering in Japan.

Just because it is made by a reputable company in Japan doesnt mean it meets the regs for CAMS here, look at compliance. Why do cars have to be complied?

Cars out of the UK and Japan are amongst the safest in the world yet as imports, they still have to be changed to meet ADR's, same goes for stuff that might meet Japanese competition equipment regs, doesnt automatically mean it meets CAMS legislation.

It isnt about who goes fastest, who has the more dangerous sport, it is regulations.