SAU Community

The More Complete Manual Conversion Thread

ok, im not going to do bolt to bolt

however i am going to do the REAL details

the things that make you go to the hardware store 4 or 5 times for crap

first ill tackle the tranny and wiring aspect...theres alot of work

1.remove the battery, adn the harness going from the battery on back (it has the alternator, 3 sensors behind the alternator which go to a plug in front of the alternator ****remember this plug, very important****, then to the starter, adn then to the auto tranny)and the four plugs in the front on the side of the left frame rail.

on the auto harness, you can cut everything that is connected to the tranny itself, nothing in teh harness in front of the harness.

2.Take off starter, and lay it to the side, remove the shifter linkage, rear driveshaft, front if you have it installed (i didnt), and rear hydro line.

DRAIN YOUR TRANNY. i had a friend that didnt, and it was funny as hail....better yet, leave it full....its more funny for your friends

3. Put a tranny jack under your tranny, dont worry about your engine, it will automatically go into the position you need to remove the tranny.

remove the tranny member, and the mount as well, so you dont damage it.

on the tranny-take out all the bolts, and keep 3 of the bottom ones, the two for the starter, and throw the rest away

take the ones you kept, and go to the hardware store, get ones that are about a half an inch to an inch longer, as well as a number of washers, in case the ones you got were too short

the bolt size is

M10 1.5

i don't remember my length, i will measure it tomorrow for you guys.

pull the damn thing already....whats taking you so long!!!

Ok so its out, now for hte fun part

Breaking apart your old harness and splicing into the new one

Hopefully you were smart and bought the manual power harness (the one from the battery to the alt. to the starter etc etc etc)

if not, go get it, your an idiot. :)

so now, lay the old auto one, and the manual one side by side

there is a grey 6 pin plug (wow its the one i told you to make note of in front of the alternator). You need to separate that from the auto harness. THe manual harness does not have it with it, so you need to put them together.

I dont know what sensors they are, but i broke one clip, and couldnt find hte plug for another, so we will see what they are when i start it up right?

so go ahead and dismantle the Auto harness, and remove the wires and plugs and integrate them and your almost done!

THe two white wires, ont eh manual harness they should be on a ring terminal

cut it off

on teh auto harness, they are on a plug

cut it off

put the plug from the auto to the manual so that it plugs in, and its not a ring terminal

wiring is done

plug it all in....and go to the interior

tear it all out

Its that simple

unbolt everything, i didnt have to drop any columns, or naything, take your trim off, and take everything off.

those bolts on the airbag module, if you don't have the right socket, use vicegrips, i did

also if you use the 260RS center, you need hte new bracket for hte airbag and Gmeter box thing, it moves it all back to make room for the new compartment.

blah blah blah

get it all out

thats all you get for right now.

heres some pictures for your enjoyment

457543884_90ee5e4087.jpg

the left over parts so far

the tranny tunnel from teh 260rs is there as well, thats where i got my ebrake bracket from, an hour of drilling and prying got it all off.

457543906_88b95942e7.jpg

457543906_88b95942e7.jpg

self explanitory

457559051_e7a6f226c0.jpg

260 center console

457543768_a8ae667264.jpg

engine shot

457543720_54528638b1.jpg

baller but i didnt put it in, im ordering a new throwout bearing for it, and plates. they are .1 under the limit.

exedy is in there now

457558905_d63639079f.jpg

VG30det turbo with cheater (screamer pipe)gate

got em for 50 bucks, adn they work

the turbo is a bolt on, so i have a spare

457558857_7cf43322af.jpg

whats the use of the manual harness because i did the conversion and unplugged the auto wiring and needed to hook up the reverse lights and then bridge 2 wires together on one of the plugs and its full steam ahead without any dramas :thumbsup:

if u dont get the manual wiring, dont bother its a waste of $$$

I don't think anyone here thats done it so far has used the manual harness. I haven't done a stagea conversion but a few S13's and have never swapped in a manual harness. Just did exactly what owerpowered said...worked fine. Seems like a lot more hastle and cost to me. And I don't mean to sound offensive here but so far I don't see anything "more complete" about this thread than truck boys thread (which is where you should have posted all this, there are enough of these getting around already). I would have just added the new information to that thread. Anyway like I said I'm not trying to sound like a prick just don't see why we needed another thread started.

Keep it up and good luck with it !

Yeah what's all this nonsense about a manal harness? As far as I was aware you just need to re-jig a couple of wires for the starter and reverse and you're good to go. sounds like a waste of time trying to rewire a harness in.

As Mr RS4 said, there are plenty of other manual conversion threads around, you could have just added to them.

i have always swapped the manual harness in. it has two extra plugs for the manual tranny on this particular one, adn gets rid of a bunch of htem from the auto.

makes it cleaner, and less wires all around.

dont do it if you dont want to.

THe other thread left me thinking wtf do i do next.

Didnt say anything about longer bolts etc etc

move it if you want, or dont.

and if you use the auto harness, where do you plug the two plugs on the side of the tranny into?

When you say longer bolts, are you talking about bell hosuing bolts being different length between auto and manual. If thats what you mean I'm pretty sure that was covered in the parts lists on other threads? But I'm not sure if thats what you mean seeing as you didn't say what they were for. Any more up dates anyway?

I just removed the wiring for the manual tranny switches from the manual loom, then made them into their own loom (very small only four wires).

Then ran them up to where the auto wiring plugged in, beneath the battery.

Pic of the manual switch wiring has been posted in the conversion thread.

When you say longer bolts, are you talking about bell hosuing bolts being different length between auto and manual. If thats what you mean I'm pretty sure that was covered in the parts lists on other threads? But I'm not sure if thats what you mean seeing as you didn't say what they were for. Any more up dates anyway?

yes, the lower 3 bellhousing bolts fit

so do the starter bolts, but all the rest need bolts around a half inch longer. get some washers to make up space if they shank out.

they are m10 1.25 thread pattern