SAU Community

Pick An Exhaust!

Hi Guys,

Ideally in the future I would like to upgrade our exhausts (money permitting :))

I have narrowed it to these ones... I would like other peoples opinions on which they would choose and why :)

The first one I am looking at (and is my preferred for some reason :thumbsup:)

The power extreme II from trust.

http://www.nengun.com/trust-greddy/power-extreme-ii

And the alternative...

The HKS Hi Power Exhaust.

http://www.nengun.com/hks/high-power-exhaust

Being guilty of wanting it all I suppose I am looking for the exhaust that is going to give the best power increase, give the best sounding note and also look the best... eventually I would like to angle the muffler once I have changed my rear bar (is going to require an additional bend) but wildkats would just stay straight I would imagine....

Cheers in advance :)

name brand exhaust.. lol, who is going to know if you have a trust/hks exhaust, or some no name brand?

ive got a 'no name brand' exhaust, and i get that many comments that it makes a lovely growling note, people want to know what it is. :thumbsup:

3" straight through with no mufflers and standard nissan ecu (nice and rich).....flame bursts FTW!! :thumbsup:

hahaha seriously for the prices you pay for genuine jap brand systems these days they aren't much more than bolt on systems already here is australia (if you can call them bolt on, I'm yet to see one I'm happy with yet and I've fitted a few of them) or custom jobs for that matter would probably work out more or as much. Where as they REALLY do BOLT ON and I have to admit they have a sound of their own. For eg. an an SR20 always sounds better with a jap brand exhaust, don't know why they just do, ditto for RB's.

As for which one I'd go for I really don't know. The HKS is cheaper but isn't all stainless (which doesn't really matter unless your a show pony) but the Trust wasn't much more.

3" straight through with no mufflers and standard nissan ecu (nice and rich).....flame bursts FTW!! :thumbsup:

hahaha seriously for the prices you pay for genuine jap brand systems these days they aren't much more than bolt on systems already here is australia (if you can call them bolt on, I'm yet to see one I'm happy with yet and I've fitted a few of them) or custom jobs for that matter would probably work out more or as much. Where as they REALLY do BOLT ON and I have to admit they have a sound of their own. For eg. an an SR20 always sounds better with a jap brand exhaust, don't know why they just do, ditto for RB's.

As for which one I'd go for I really don't know. The HKS is cheaper but isn't all stainless (which doesn't really matter unless your a show pony) but the Trust wasn't much more.

Sounds like what my car is running - just an 18" long resonator before the final cannon muffler.

Loud as hell, and heaps of popping on over-run with the standard ECU. It does have that distinctive RB growl, though!

Sounds like what my car is running - just an 18" long resonator before the final cannon muffler.

Loud as hell, and heaps of popping on over-run with the standard ECU. It does have that distinctive RB growl, though!

Gotta love it, only way an RB should sound :thumbsup:

my rb sounds like a rotary lol, plenty of people have told me that anyway :thumbsup: soon as its going again im gonna get some sound footage to show ya's :)

ive got a apexi cat back system, though ive chopped out both muffler since and put in a 3.5' hotdog and left the rear cannon off and it sounds stupid loud. jap mufflers definately sound hot compared to cheap china ones, or try magnaflow they are a great brand also if u get the system made here.

my apexi has 3.5' piping and the inside of the cannon goes down to 2.5' which is stupid, but thats obviously how they keep it from being soo loud.

Edited by overpowered

I'm also thinking of revising my setup. The car had a custom job done when it got in Aus by previous owner. Think Rob Bliss did it....and its a pretty quiet system, but still has a nice note to it but not good enough for me. From what I can see it is a 3" inlet on the Canon but the resonator is a custom made one for a rotary (thats why I think its so quiet) and a H/F cat. Its going to be tuned a Mercury monday week so see what it makes and go from there, spent soooo much money on it latley, exhaust might have to wait a bit.

Also I think that (from the origional question) the Trust system will be quieter than the HKS. If that helps with the decision.

I thought the Trust system would have acutally been a little louder... It has a slightly larger diameter pipe... ? :thumbsup:

I guess I am focussed on those 2 due to my R33 having a HKS exhaust on it ( and a trust dump I think ) and it just sounded special... I am trying to relive my past :)

is just which one you prefer. If you are looking for sound Nismo is te go. Looks nismo. LOL!! Its really up to you wat you want, looks? sound? or performance? or best buy?

For me i was looking for nice fit. Mine was a Nismo with a oval outlet which tuck in nicely onto the bumper and nt looking like the ass hanging out of place if you know hat i mean.

Edited by stasis

to be honest im yet to see a " off the shelf ( jap or what ever) exhaust" that sat properly especially HKS Superdragger cat backs( wonder why they called them dragger.........on the floor maybe?). i say buy whatever makes you happy , whatever the cost.

kermit

I have the HKS exhaust on my R33 and everyone loves the exhaust note, wouldn't have a clue about the power difference, but it sure sounds nice :thumbsup:

As others have said, it's really down to personal preference and what you are looking for in an exhaust, happy hunting!

I'm running a custom 3" dump, hi-flow cat and a Fujitsubo 3" cat back. it's quiet as a mouse, which means no unwanted attention from the cops. It doesn't sound that great (more like a stock auto commodore) but it still gets good flow and I noticed an improvement when I went to the dump pipe. A standard R33 fit fine, the shop that installed it said there were no problems fitting it.

The main differance between the Trust and the HKS is the DB rating

Most rear cannon mufflers are louder than the legal 92DB

I looked into these 2 exhausts for my Stagea

Trust was 96 DB and the HKS Silent was 92DB

I was planning on getting the HKS one, but at the time about 6 months ago they where discontinued, but have now reappeared on the Nengun site, so they HKS most be remaking them

I ended up going with a Fujitsbo Legis R due to DB rating approx 82DB

I had a loud cannon with no front resinator on my R33 and get sick of not being able to hear.

^^^Yeah I meant it the other way around, was up too late last night :D

I love a loud exhaust note, but considering what I bought the stagea for it probably would be best to keep my current system as long as its doing its job. Plus living in a town house now no one took to the 180 very well :)

And as for bolt ons dragging on the ground don't bother going any where near x-force systems. I installed one on my 180 and the fit was shocking. Sure it bolted together but was also probably origionally designed on a standard height car (even then it would be too low). I stuffed it within a couple of months. Used another one on a mates R33 and was a much better fit. And had a pretty nice note to it, but still a little low hanging.