SAU Community

Where To Mount An Oil Cooler?

On the good advice of many of the track guys I purchased a Just Jap Racing 19 row external oil cooler for my R33 GTR. Now I needed to get it mounted. It makes sense that you mount it under the front bar / somewhere by the radiator so it gets airflow but precisely where? Does anyone have pics of how they have mounted theirs?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a thread in the diy section that shows one being mounted in behind the indicators on the front bar, I like this idea because it means your not adding extra heat to the airflow through the cooler and radiator. If there isn't enough room there though majority of people mount them between the cooler and the radiator, on the righthand side to keep the lines as short as possiable. Just make up some brackets that bolt to the structure somewhere

I bought a Trust one for my GTR33...but the supplier supplied the r32GTR type which sat where my air-con goes.

Anyway...you will need to take off your bumper and wheel, including wheel arch and make up a set of custom brackets to get it to sit up-right.

Take the panel(Left Front) off a swell, this will help you alot..lol

Your hoses will not be long enough...so you will have to take measurements after you install the cooler.

If you have the relocation kit you will find you will also need a 90 degree bend from the oil cooler...or something of that angle to get a braided oil line to fit.

Good luck....I know I spent an extra $700 to fit the dam thing.....frustrating...

I bought a Trust one for my GTR33...but the supplier supplied the r32GTR type which sat where my air-con goes.

No you were provided the right one.

the R32 one from Trust sits in the front bar passenger side air intake.

the R33 one sits next to the driver's side headlight.

Bob on gtr's there is hardly any room down on the drivers side.....Blow off valves are located there.

R32 GTR Type oil cooler sits in front of the radiator.

R33 GTR Type oil coller sits behind the passenger side headlight.

So Ronin.....you have been corrected.

Oh...don't mount it so rocks gravel or stones can damage it....you will be asking for trouble

As for the extra money that was spent on mine...it was for 2 braided lines..approx.....3 metres in lenght each..which ran across the front of the radiator....Custom brackets to set up the oil cooler..to sit upright. 2 angle bends for the relocation filter and another 2 for the cap which went on the old oil filter location.

So as I said......good luck...have fun

tekin, not quite right mate. greddy make a number of different kits. for 32 GTR alone there is one that mounts in the duct on the passenger side (below the headlight) and one that mounts in front of the radiator and within those two types you can get different size cores. which ever type you order will come with the perfect length lines and brackets and even a little duct. greddy kit is by far and away the best one.

TJ has not bought a greddy unit....but an off the shelf......19Row unit...which can only be installed below the passenger side front lights as I have discussed before.

So he is in need of the items I have listed above..........tj can you keep us informed on what you had to go through to install this unit...

seeing it was not specific to your car.

Is there a rule of thumb to mount the oil cooler below the oil pump? I've noticed most oil coolers are mounted lower than the oil pump in the inner guards.

I have mounted mine in front of the radiator, and always wondered if its mounted too high? never had a oil temp problem on the track though...

post-19425-1176681336.jpg

Is there a rule of thumb to mount the oil cooler below the oil pump? I've noticed most oil coolers are mounted lower than the oil pump in the inner guards.

I have mounted mine in front of the radiator, and always wondered if its mounted too high? never had a oil temp problem on the track though...

post-19425-1176681336.jpg

242076901.jpg

I had the oilcooler mounted in front of the radiator, but this setup is much better. It's a HKS S-type, deflectors etc. are included.

well it is better, but it shoudln't be a problem. my greddy kit has the cooler mounted down low, but the filter relocater is mounted up high. as long as the pump isn't too worn it will be fine. just keep an eye on pressure that will tell you if there is a problem or not.

Tekin, I was replying to this:

"R33 GTR Type oil coller sits behind the passenger side headlight.

So Ronin.....you have been corrected."

it is wrong. I have a 32 GTR. I have an oil cooler and it is not mounted in front of the radiator. yes you could mount it there but it's a crappy spot to put it as it gets little flow through the core. passenger side duct is the best spot on a 32 GTR and a 33 for that matter.

lol

anywho, whatever is the case, as baron stated one of the best places is in the lower bumper vent on the passenger side, either R33 or R32 gtr.

just remember to cut exhaust holes in the inner guard or bottom stone tray for the air that has passed through the core to escape.

otherwise the cooler will do..... Fark all.

242076901.jpg

I had the oilcooler mounted in front of the radiator, but this setup is much better. It's a HKS S-type, deflectors etc. are included.

That looks really neat, I might relocate mine and make some deflectors, would work alot better...

Bob on gtr's there is hardly any room down on the drivers side.....Blow off valves are located there.

R32 GTR Type oil cooler sits in front of the radiator.

R33 GTR Type oil coller sits behind the passenger side headlight.

So Ronin.....you have been corrected.

Oh...don't mount it so rocks gravel or stones can damage it....you will be asking for trouble

As for the extra money that was spent on mine...it was for 2 braided lines..approx.....3 metres in lenght each..which ran across the front of the radiator....Custom brackets to set up the oil cooler..to sit upright. 2 angle bends for the relocation filter and another 2 for the cap which went on the old oil filter location.

So as I said......good luck...have fun

Please mate, before you tell others they have 'been corrected', make sure you know what your talking about.

Trust makes various kits, including a 'radiator front' (radiator support mount) kit for BCNR33 and I should know, not because I read it on the internet, but because I have one on my R33 GTR.

I know it's true also. not because I have one, but because I read it. but not on the internet. it was written on the toilet wall of Hobbys International in Shinjuku.