SAU Community

EVO vs Skyline

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it really depends on which evo he is referring to? EVO 1,2,3,4,5,6,6.5,7 or Evo 8 [which is out soonish]? ? ?

If its a really old evo like 1 or 2 then a 33 gtst would have more power definately, but you are still comparing a RWD with an AWD...

early models were around 140 odd kilowatts...evo 5 onwards are around 206kw...with evo 3 / 4 being around the 180 mark AFAI can remember

The evo's are probably lighter than a skyline too...

sigh - right back at you pal. when someone says

one of my mates is continually telling me evo's will shit on a R33 GTS-T
I think they are talking about performance and not looks. I agree with you that skylines are better looking...I wouldnt have bought one if i thought they were ugly...

I wouldnt waste my time trying to convince someone anyway...some people like skylines and some dont...does this friend actually own an Evo? What does he own?

If you want to entertain his silly school yard statements then tell him that the 911 Turbo Porsche will eat his lancer for breakfast, lunch and dinner!!!

Well EVOs are pretty cool cars.My VII is std with exhaust/ECU & ran a 13.4 @ 105. It does handle pretty well, but does feel like a gokart compared to the Skylines.It is an $80,000 car & it does drive like it, but I think for 1/2 the money, a GTSt is almost as powerful, handles almost as well, does look much better, & is a much nicer car to cruise in than the EVO.I do like the 7, but am not a fan of the previous models. For someone who does a few hillclimbs or rallies, & needs a 4dr sedan, then the EVO is the ultimate. But for normal street cruising & the odd drag off the lights I think the GTSt skylines are awesomes cars & great value.

If you get a chance - drive an EVO hard & you will be impressed,

but it will make you realise how nice your skyline is.

BTW - my 7 is for sale.

BTW - has your mate actually got an EVO? If not, whats his point?

He is comparing the top spec Mitsi, to the base spec Nissan!

comparing apples with apples - GTRs crap all over EVOs

& I should know!!! Remember a base spec lancer is a POS!

bryan...the new Evos r 2 litres.

i think it all comes down to where you do your playing...in tight situations, say gymkhana events, any Evo worth its salt will leave even a GTR for dead.

you really have to consider their pedigree to understand why these cars are like that. the Skyline evolved from Group A racing, and later on, Grand Touring Championship.

the Evo, on the other hand, evolved from rallies. thus, both cars were created for totally different purposes. from there, we can see why the Evo is relatively anorexic in weight as compared to the Skyline.

if we consider their built purpose, we find that it's hard to compare 2 such cars. stock for stock, the Evo would outsprint the same generation GTR to 100km/h. but the GTR was not made for such low speeds. take on the Evo in a rolling start from say 80km/h and you will understand why the Godzilla is the Godzilla.

I took an Evo VI one night (he even had the plates EVIL6 - yes it did go pft, pft turbo)... i am not sure what he was doing at the start, but he was definitely was *trying* to drag me. I was several lengths in front after few 10's of metres. I had to slow down as over the hill is "cop spot" but i dunno..either he was driving really really badly or i was killing him. It was up a hill, maybe the torque of the skyline had something to do with it?

Thing is EVO is going to handle great around corners, and it would be pretty nimble, and its got lots of other nice goodies like active yaw control and the like... great for rallying or cornering..but on the street in a straight line a modded R33 GTS-T can take one.

rb26dett: hmmm.. recent case in point: Targa tasmania.. ok its a road race mainly and not true rally.. but hmmm which car came second?

the sheer stupidity than a RB26DETT can get to if enough money is thrown at it counters any advantage the EVO might have.

Hehehe...

I think people should not look at the EVO as a done up 1.8l fwd. The reason why Mitsu use the Lancer on the WRC cars is purely for marketing reasons. The entire EVO car is different and formdable weapon.

Last time I saw a EVO come up the street, it wasn't so much the speed which impressed me, the brakes! The way he pulled up to the corner in so little distance shocked me.

First off, don't worry what your mate says. Tell him to go buy one and then come talk. The later generation EVO's are a quality car, but comparing it with a skyline of any form isn't a fair comparison. Put it up against a WRX STI and you've got two cars designed from the same sorts of moulds.