SAU Community

EVO vs Skyline

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem is its all good when your running Buddy Club P1's with sticky bridgstone semi slicks on an Evo, but when ya got 190rwkw and 225's on the back ya guaranteed to lose... but with a good show on the line at take off lol

actually you cant get an 'aust delivered' EVO VII. The last aussie batch were the 6.5 Makinen versions. As far as I know there are only a few 'complied' EVO VII imports in aust - so they are not detuned & are much rarer.

I agree with the $50K R33 then spend $50k. And if you could stop there that would be great.Unfortunately it doesn't happen & you end up with a troppo GTR like mine. An EVO7 doesn't need $20K spent on it - they are great as they are. On an R34, $20K is nothing - barely does stage 1. Mine has Apexi, Exhaust & front pipe, Suspension,wheels,short shifter,twin plate clutch, stereo,alarm,oil cooler,catch can, etc.Goodbye $20K.

Haven't seen that yet. Was ages ago those photos were taken.

My favourite thing to beat used to be a ford - when I was a Holden head. But now I hunt for WRX's. Gotta have a pet hate -

& subes are mine.

Munro, that's interesting. so basically what you're saying is the Evo 7 you took on was a JDM one? hmm....but yea 20k on a GTR gets you nowhere fast.

How does your 34 do on the track?? I understand that too "wildly modded" a GTR does not like cornering too much. Of course, i'm talking about in excess of 800hp.

My car is currently waiting for oil sump, oil pump and oil cooler before going to the track.

I don't really see how changing engine power can hurt handling, its not like you'll change the balance of the car. More likely you're arriving at corners so much faster that you don't slow down and enter the corner balanced properly = increased understeer.

EVOs are in the GTR league (ie: top shelf), not GTST standard (not offence to GTST owners).

But, that's stocks for stock - once you start modifying, the rules go out the window.

The GTST has more straight-line potential, but will never be the allround champ that the EVO is.

But, as was noted above, they are different cars, in different classes, that are intended for different purposes.

sorry, I somehow missed the second page. Some good points raised by all.

I think using JGTC as a comparo is a bit problematic - it's like saying 'my holden is better than your ford because holden just won bathurst'. I think we all know how different the track and street realities are there.

What about Tsukuba time trials? - the benchmark used by most street tuners in Japan. If you've seen Best Motoring videos - that's where the final shootouts are usually held. And who is currently winning that? answer = evo. But who is a bee's dick behind = r34 GTR.

for sure, and as production cars, both are severly limited by only having 206kw (alleged). Its a wonder a heavy car like gtr can be competitive at all unless modified. Neither is anywhere near the porsche times around nurburgring these days either.

Duncan...i agree with what you said about increased understeer, which was what i was trying to say, the turn in would be more difficult to the point of being impossible, i.e. the more hp, the more likely you will just drag the car instead of going to a proper track. which is mainly the reason we have the GT500 and GT300 classes in the JGTC. if you have a read there, you will see the NSX driver complains of understeering already, just due to having a plate placed beneath the car (weight restriction). from this, we can see that the Jap's philosophy is to build a balanced race car, not one with outright hp. which again brings me back to my question...at what stage would it be madness to race a GTR around a track?? i have heard it's above the 800hp mark.

DaiOni, with regards to Tsukuba, the GTR34 that you're talking about is the Mine's 34 i assume? it's the fastest GTR around that track at the moment right?

sorry, misunderstood your question. I think what makes a powerful car difficult to drive on the track is

1) progressiveness of throttle

2) grip at the driven tyres.

ie, theres no problem racing a 1000hp car if the throttle is progressive and wheelspin is under control.

Where it gets impossible is with such big turbos they have a lot of lag, which makes precise throttle control almost impossible. Look at the big boostinf F1 turbo cars - they were hugely powerful but almost undriveable.

rb26dett: Mspeed r34 GTR vs Jun Evo (V? I think). There's less than .5 sec between them (last time I checked). Not sure, as I haven't bought option magazine in a few months - much prefer option 2 these days. The mines 34 was in the top 12 though.