SAU Community

Wolf V500 On R33 Gts-t

-33-

Considering PFC's for R33s require a mortgage these days anyone tried a wolf V500?

Ive been looking around at a few ECU's and theres a fair bit of useful info around here, but no-one's said much about the V500. If anyone's used one with a gts-t, your opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is slightly untrue. As you need to look at what is best for your car and the long term goals you have. For example I looked at the Wolf (and still considering it) for a few reasons. Some of them being: the ability to have dual maps (one for street, dyno/circuit), internal 30PSI MAP sensor, inbuilt turbo timer, add on boost controller, easy to use screen (far better than the old style PFC one). They have a direct plugin and not all that expensive for what they are. Looking around $1900 for the ECU and Controller.

The tune will only be as good as the tuner, but the ECU is definately not determined by the tuner.

Thanks for the reply PSI those are good points which are swaying me too when looking at the v500 ;)

$1900 is a decent price considering a PFC + new AFM (which many people forget to factor in) is not all that far off in terms of price.

We all know a tune is only as good as its tuner... what i was getting at is the whole deal with the V500 as compared to other stand alone ECUs, i.e.: ease of use, tuner availability, bang for buck??? Haven't heard of all that many people putting them in 33 gts-t's (yet)... anyone else?

The main problem you will find is trying to track down a tuner. Some are reluctant as they have to spend time getting to know the user interface. There are Wolf premium dealers around so either try to track one of them down, or speak to your preferred tuner and ask them if they are willing to take the time to get to know the Wolf. I dare say that they will be pleasantly suprised at what Wolf can offer them. Your totally right about the price being about the same with people getting a Z32 as well. Removing the AFM altogether is a better option IMO too, it unclutters the engine bay that little more and a MAP sensor gives a true indicator as to the amount of air being fed into the engine. As the air that passes through the AFM still has to hit the compresser blades, travel through the intercooler, some more piping, and then into the plenum, with possible leaks and pressure drops along the way. There are different trains of thought however.

As for cars that are currently using Wolf, see issue 77 of HPI, the GHOSTT car is running V4, soon to be upgraded to V500, and puts out 487RWKW. And just remember, just because people aren't doing it, doesn't make it wrong.

Very true and all the more reason to look seriously at one ;)

Since u mentioned it, and just out of curiosity, how does the old v4 stack up these days as a cheapo alternative in terms of features? The V500 has an impressive features list... what are the differences?

That is slightly untrue. As you need to look at what is best for your car and the long term goals you have. For example I looked at the Wolf (and still considering it) for a few reasons. Some of them being: the ability to have dual maps (one for street, dyno/circuit), internal 30PSI MAP sensor, inbuilt turbo timer, add on boost controller, easy to use screen (far better than the old style PFC one). They have a direct plugin and not all that expensive for what they are. Looking around $1900 for the ECU and Controller.

The tune will only be as good as the tuner, but the ECU is definately not determined by the tuner.

Ok scenario.

Tuner has never used a Wolf. Yet the tuner has used PowerFC's for 3-4 years.

Would you give them a wolf and expect the best possible work? No.

I know what your saying and I agree somewhat, however any decent tuner should be able to tune any ECU. The main point I was trying to get across is that you have to have the right ECU for your engine/power goals/current modifications to get the full benefit.

however any decent tuner should be able to tune any ECU.

exactly spot on, couldnt of said it any better, id go with a v500 for sure, heard lots of good things about them and looking at the features it has you can almost compare it to a MOTEC (almost) but if if had known this computer was coming out i would of got it instead of a PFC 100%

I'd be very reluctant to try an ECU that is at this stage fairly well untested in the industry unless you dont mind paying for the extra hours that may be involved. From what I've seen of the earlier wolf versions aka 3 I would be very reluctant to use. It's one thing for an ECU to say it supports say closed loop cam or ETC but its a whole nother ball game to actually prove that it can - incomparison to the factory ECU (and that includes the all bells and whistle M800 motec). That said the r33 is a donkey in terms of new electromechanical features so as long as it does fuel, timing and a few other things correctly you SHOULD be fine.

• 3 months later...
I'd be very reluctant to try an ECU that is at this stage fairly well untested in the industry unless you dont mind paying for the extra hours that may be involved. From what I've seen of the earlier wolf versions aka 3 I would be very reluctant to use. It's one thing for an ECU to say it supports say closed loop cam or ETC but its a whole nother ball game to actually prove that it can - incomparison to the factory ECU (and that includes the all bells and whistle M800 motec). That said the r33 is a donkey in terms of new electromechanical features so as long as it does fuel, timing and a few other things correctly you SHOULD be fine.

How can you say "V3 was shit so the V500 must be shit too"? Ever here of manufacturers advancing their technologies or upgrading by 'leaps and bounds'

How good was you PC 12 years ago? Will you now say that all new PC's are shit and slow, because your 486 only had 4 meg ram and a 20Mb hard drive? Same principal applies.

The V3 was a basic ecu and pretty damn crude. The V4 had MASSIVE improvements, i have actually been using one in my car for the last 4-5yrs. I have seen the V500 installed and running in two R33 GTR's, one gtst and a few other cars. I am very impressed with it's features, tunning abilities and how smoothly it runs the cars. I am currently considering upgrading to the V500, in the near future, that is how impressed i am. A.E.M. (wolf 3d designers/manufacturers) are currently looking for a replacement h/c as the N.Z. manufacturer went bust; so until i see the new h/c i will stick with the V4.

The feature that sealed the deal for me, over the Pfc, was PIN security. This stops the engine from starting, once enabled, until the PIN number is entered. When i take my car to my mechanic, i disable it, so he doesn't even know my PIN :(.

There is a shit load of features the new V500 can do, too many to mention. But Ash is 100% correct, it's only as good as it's tuner. Even though my mechanic has been tunning Wolfs for 5+yrs, he still occasionally rings AEM to get advise on how to tackle certain gremlins.

You will not regret buying the V500, provided you can find a good tuner.

PS: GHOSTT was built by my mechanic, and is yet to be hooked up to the NOS bottle in the boot :)

Yes, we can supply you with Wolf, PM or Email ([email protected]) for pricing and availability as the controllers are now a discontinued item (might have some left in stock) and they are looking for a replacement.

NO hand controllers left :(

i have the wolf v500 software and it is pretty straight foward. it has a butt-load of features. it has 3d mapping and if you alter 1 point it will affect the points either side, so it fills in any gaps.

sorry if im hijacking but maybe another alternative just discovered an interesting thing the adaptronic ecu now has an option to supply a plug in loom for the r33 rb25det :)

New Products: Plug in looms and Igniters

Adaptronic have designed and built a plug in loom for the R33 skyline(RB25DET) which may also suit other R33's and R32's, and a plug in loom for the Suzuki Swift GTi G13B Mk2 & Mk3, we are still interested to hear what other vehicles you would like plug in looms for. We are now also stocking single channel 'dumb' igniters for those of you who decide or need to change the ignition system

http://www.adaptronic.com.au/ $990 for ecu and $350 with loom and mapsensor

so $1340 all up and u can use a laptop to tune and monitor

maybe the new upcoming ecu for all *ponders the thought*

how does the wolf v5 compare to the apexi power fc for R33 GTST??

is it worth payin the bit extra for the V5??

as nismoid says it comes down to the tuner. if they are a good pfc tuner then the pfc will be ok, but as far as ease of tuning i'd probably say the wolf would be easier, since you don't have to fill in every part of the grid. with the wolf you can just change the scale and it will fill in lots of gaps.

plus it is all in english.

some cool features of the wolf:

you can set a lower rev limit for the turbo timer so if someone was to steal the car while the turbo timer is on they can't rev it very high

has both soft cut and hard cut rev limiter

good display

6 stage shift light control

can have 2 wideband o2 sensors hooked up to monitor/control afrs.

help text for everything.

if i had a spare few hours i would take some screenshots of it all, but there is just too much of it.

I would definately pick the V500 over the Pfc.

- as stated by mad082

PLUS

- PIN security

- Multiple AUX inputs and outputs (Control boost, thermo fan, NOS, water spray, Meth inj, C2O, warning lights, afr sensor, etc)

- turbo timer

- boost control via rpm and load

- map sensor

- full sequential injection (just like Pfc: V4 was grouped for 5+ cylinders)

- and a whole lot of other shit i don't even know.

With the Pfc you are just limited to whatever the std ecu controlled, and the option for the added boost controller, which i have read/heard is a prick to make run properly.