SAU Community

R34gtt Vs S15 Vs Sti V9

Hey guys just wondering whats your opinion on these cars. I know each has their own uniqueness, but just wondering if anyone owns either of these before and willing to share their experiences such as daily drivability and so on . The sti version 9 should be by far has the most performance but in terms of styling not really a big fan of it. So yea... given the three, which would you guys choose ? something also to commute daily to work.

i'm sure you have your reasons for choosing these 3 cars, but correct me if i'm wrong, isn't the rex MUCH more expensive than either of the others? you can get a very nice GTT or S15 for a lot less than the rex, but they will be older. and the characteristics will be completely different.

i for one thoroughly enjoyed the S15 that Dr. Envy had. great little car, zippy, chuckable and goes hard too (as well as having a huge amount of aftermarket parts).

if you don't mind owning a car that isn't a nissan (you obviously don't) i'd say go for the rex, or better yet go for an evo. they will both be much newer than the GTT or the S15, probably still have the balance of new car warranty also.

Thanks for the input guys ,

2000 + JDM rx7 ? i love them too but there is still always the debate about their reliability. Whats your thoughts AndyMac?

The reliability issue of rotaries is a crock of shit

The ones who spin all that garbage about them being unreliable are the ones who dont look after them properly

I had a modded s4 rx7 a few years ago and never had any issues

Look after them and service them and they will be fine

Do you mean jap spec s15 or aus spec?

Ok well i own a R34 GT-T and i can honestly say they are terrific. I cant really complain about a single thing with it. Oh wait.. it guzzles fuel.. but u wouldnt be buying a performance car if you cared about that anyway. They STI definetly has the best performance though.

I would have to say it depends on what you want to use the car for. If you will be doing track work i would say STI all the way. But for street use/ daily driver i would be looking at the s15 jspec or r34 gtt. i was tossing up between these 2 cars when i was looking for a car.

What swayed me to r34 was - r34 looks better, r34 is rarer, 6 cylinder engine sounds tuff, also prefer the interior.

Obviously all of the above is my opinion so no one come on here and try tell me how im wrong.

Thats what i believe too, a mechanic one told me that they are really very reliable if u know how to take care of it .

personaly i would go a 34gtt as its still a 6cyl

2nd would be the s15 but there being done to death

and i would get a evo over the sti as the evo is a better car in both performance and looks.

all imo tho

why not get the 3 cars in the condition you wont(i.e stock)and drive them around for a bit if you can and see which one you like best

Ok well i own a R34 GT-T and i can honestly say they are terrific. I cant really complain about a single thing with it. Oh wait.. it guzzles fuel.. but u wouldnt be buying a performance car if you cared about that anyway. They STI definetly has the best performance though.

I would have to say it depends on what you want to use the car for. If you will be doing track work i would say STI all the way. But for street use/ daily driver i would be looking at the s15 jspec or r34 gtt. i was tossing up between these 2 cars when i was looking for a car.

What swayed me to r34 was - r34 looks better, r34 is rarer, 6 cylinder engine sounds tuff, also prefer the interior.

Obviously all of the above is my opinion so no one come on here and try tell me how im wrong.

I have to agree that the 6cyc engine is and advantage over the s15 but in my opinion exterior and interior wise the s15 i think is better, more sporty and stylish, more streamlines and all that. r34gtt are quite flat, not much streamlines across the car. Interior wise, persoanlly i find the s15 heaps better feels more like a sports car than a family car lol.

The reliability issue of rotaries is a crock of shit

The ones who spin all that garbage about them being unreliable are the ones who dont look after them properly

I had a modded s4 rx7 a few years ago and never had any issues

Look after them and service them and they will be fine

Hey i sat in a S8 Rx7 on the weekend and its a snug fit for a tall guy, is there a steering tilt on it?..beautiful car though!! I also have to agree i think the interior of the S15/Rx7 S8 looks better than the R34, but the R34 has great performance and is more practical and less common than the S15..

Aside from daily driving, what else do you want from the car?

If you're just after a zippy daily driver that you don't want to do too many mods to, I'm going to go out to left field and say you should buy a VW Polo GTi. The cabin is well isolated when the windows are up, the seats are comfy, and the controls are well weighted. The stereo isn't bad either. The suspension is firm, but fair. Its a lot more controlled than your average Falcodore, but its not exactly a JDM Tuner Special. The build quality is VW, so its better than any Nissan and probably the Subaru too.

In other words, its a great daily driver.

But, get up it and its a quick little thing. That 1.8L Turbo has quite a bit of poke in its factory trim. Since the car is also mechanically identical to the old Audi TT, you can get the ECU reflashed with that car's tune and pick up another 30-40hp without having to replace any parts. The only thing it really needs is the ECU flash, rear swaybar, and maybe a pod filter / exhaust for noise (aftermarket induction/exhaust parts don't seem to make much gain so its not as worth it) to be a reasonably quick little car.

So its not a bad hot hatch either.

And because it will still look stock and its a Euro machine, the cops will leave you alone. Another plus for a commuter vehicle.

Ultimately you can't do too much to it affordably, being European, and being FWD there's only so much power the fronts will handle (although the engine will take a fair amount of power). But, if you want a light tune vehicle then its hard to beat.

If you're just after a zippy daily driver that you don't want to do too many mods to, I'm going to go out to left field and say you should buy a VW Polo GTi. The cabin is well isolated when the windows are up, the seats are comfy, and the controls are well weighted. The stereo isn't bad either. The suspension is firm, but fair. Its a lot more controlled than your average Falcodore, but its not exactly a JDM Tuner Special. The build quality is VW, so its better than any Nissan and probably the Subaru too.

In other words, its a great daily driver.

But, get up it and its a quick little thing. That 1.8L Turbo has quite a bit of poke in its factory trim. Since the car is also mechanically identical to the old Audi TT, you can get the ECU reflashed with that car's tune and pick up another 30-40hp without having to replace any parts. The only thing it really needs is the ECU flash, rear swaybar, and maybe a pod filter / exhaust for noise (aftermarket induction/exhaust parts don't seem to make much gain so its not as worth it) to be a reasonably quick little car.

So its not a bad hot hatch either.

And because it will still look stock and its a Euro machine, the cops will leave you alone. Another plus for a commuter vehicle.

Ultimately you can't do too much to it affordably, being European, and being FWD there's only so much power the fronts will handle (although the engine will take a fair amount of power). But, if you want a light tune vehicle then its hard to beat.

Thanks for the feedback guys,

i have driven the golf gti , really zippy car too imo but im after a jdm this time haha so euros are no go lol . Looks like at the end of the day it boils down to 34gtt. I have heard the rex is a bitch to mod and repair as the engine is at the lower end and has 4 camshafts instead of twin and because of the position of the engine it takes more time to work on it. Anyone can clarify this?

Hey guys just wondering whats your opinion on these cars. I know each has their own uniqueness, but just wondering if anyone owns either of these before and willing to share their experiences such as daily drivability and so on . The sti version 9 should be by far has the most performance but in terms of styling not really a big fan of it. So yea... given the three, which would you guys choose ? something also to commute daily to work.

For outright speed, definately the STI and it doesn't look half bad either in my opinion. Give it another look.

Other than that, an R34... 6 cylinder RB enough said.

Ok well i own a R34 GT-T and i can honestly say they are terrific. I cant really complain about a single thing with it. Oh wait.. it guzzles fuel.. but u wouldnt be buying a performance car if you cared about that anyway.

The R34 GTT RB25 is NEO, so isn't it supposed to be more fuel efficient? What's the fuel efficieny figures for the R34 GTT then?

If you're just after a zippy daily driver that you don't want to do too many mods to, I'm going to go out to left field and say you should buy a VW Polo GTi.

Looks fugly, won't go near as quick as the other 3, is over priced, spare parts will burn a hole in your pocket, is FWD etc. Need I say more?

WRX Sti sounds the best out of the 3. Is the quickest, has a nice interior, AWD, but is dog ugly on the outside. :)

JDM S15 Silvia is nearly as quick as the Sti. Is a more 'fun' car than the other 2 as it is relatively light. Don't discount the 4 pot. The SR20 is an extremely tough little power-house that loves to rev. It looks frickin hot on the outside, and is very nicely styled on the inside (bar the cheap looking hand brake).

R34GT-T looks the toughest and most aggresive out of them all. Best thing is it's the most unique/original (in Australia) as they are still relatively rare. Interior is very bland, exterior mainly looks the best with a decent kit on. It's the slowest (stock) of the 3. But as you know, has the 6 cylinder.

IMO, go the JDM S15. It would be the most fun out of all 3. You can use it as a daily, a track or a drift car and will be the most entertaining drive. Sti is way too expensive, but for pure all round performance, you can't go past it.... unless you want an EVO. :P

I'm not going to even try and discuss rotary reliability on a skyline forum.

All you have to do is test drive each and everyone one of the cars mentioned. And find out which one suits you most.

Just test drive the RX7...