SAU Community

Semi Slick Potenza 540's?

Has anyone used a semi slick Potenza 540 or similar Dunlop cut slick? what are they like in the wet? What are they like wear wise? I'm heading to a track meet and am thinking of getting a set on a second set of stock 16's

I've been considering using them as a street tyre too, as i want more traction without getting fats and new rims. I just need a wet driving account, as i don't want to kill myself if it rains.

Couple of the guys in NSW use semi's at track days. They cut hell mean times but fatz gives them a good go with his falken (driver insanity is wat makes the car fast there). I know majanal uses 540's on his rear but not sure what up front. Duncan and Merli use d01j's. Current lap record at eastern creek is Merli with his gtst at about 1:55 or 1:52.... can't remember.

i'm running djo1 atm seem very grippy in the dry, but wet grip is better than most street tyres in light rain, but if it poolings , then it's a different ball game.

I was surprised how much grip the DJ-01s have in the wet. I dont have huge hp so that would help my case. All things considered in a straight line grip is as good, if not better then Falken 451s i use to use. However they are skaty in the wet when going around corners.

So as far as wet road traction i dont see any reason not to use them (Dunlop/Bridgestone/Yokohama etc). However road noise, wear. tramline all over the road, stiff sidewall and increased harshmess in ride, and expense means i wouldnt consider using as every day tyre.

Thanks for the replies guys. I basically want more dry traction (i don't punt THAT hard in the wet) without going to a wider rim (too expensive).

For the money, i think the 540s are pretty good - i can get them for around 180 each in a 225/50 16.

Does anyone have any idea how long they will last if street driven as well? I would be thinking around 5000 - 8000km - any experience would be really grateful.

I think if you drive them easily they would last 10,000km no probs...

If you are going to drive easily ...put normal tyres on...you wont notice the difference....dont spend the money for semi slicks...

If you are going to drive hard....then buy the semi slicks...but they wont last long...

The point I am trying to make is...unless you have endless money supply (which you may have) get a second set of rims to have the semi slicks on and put them on when you want to hoon....

Cheers...

My mechanic has a mate who is organising a track day for his friends.... i'm inviting myself along but i don't think he'd like it very much if i said "hi, here i am with a bunch of mates"

sorry inasnt :D

Guest INASNT
Originally posted by Ronin 09

My mechanic has a mate who is organising a track day for his friends.... i'm inviting myself along but i don't think he'd like it very much if i said "hi, here i am with a bunch of mates"

sorry inasnt :D

:D is it at sandown or philip island? and is your mechanic donald from evo r?

Ronin 09 ...... Currently I have 540s on my car and previous to that I had DJO1 Dunlops. Both tyres are great but I¡¦d be leaning towards 540s. However DJO1 I got second hand (from Mick Doohans car that he rolled in Targa on 1st stage), where as Bridgestones I bought new a few months ago. Dry & wet weather performance in great. Much better breaking, acceleration and around the twisties you can't compare especially once you got a bit more heat into them. Even when cold they still perform better all around compare to a street tyre. The launch also improved a lot as I can slip the clutch from higher revs before the tyres start spinning. I think I could do sub 2 second 60¨ on the street.

When I took the car around Sandown I was amazed how well they gripped the road, and how much later I could break. Once you got a bit heat into them they are phenomenal.

However my suspension is set up more for those tyres than an average car as I run a bit of camber, 3 degrees front and 2 degrees rear with 300% stiffer suspension than stock, shortened body struts, konis etc¡K.. Also since my 240Z weights about 1100 kg they are quiet, but the same tyre a little wider (255) on GTR was a bit noisy.

Can¡'t go wrong with both tyres, but they are only worth getting if you abuse the car on regular basis, do a bit of twisties or circuit work. Driving in traffic on them is a waste as they are a purpose designed tyre. I found that rears won¡¦t wear out as fast as you won't be wheel spinning as much. If you don't drive too hard they will last. You only wear faster on the track, where you warm up and let go very soft.

The best price FOR 540s I found at:

BRIDBESTONE TYRE CENTER, AIR PORT WEST

1/93-95 Matthews Ave, Airport West Vic 3042

Ph. 03 9330 4133

Paid $360 each for 18x235 compare to everywhere else nearly $500 each.

BTW......... I don¡'t I'll ever go back to street tyres, especially since the semi comps are on my 2nd (weekend) car.