SAU Community

Hi all. Pulled out my slipping clutch this arvo. Did not know what clutch was in it but it is absolute crap! One day it is nice and firm,next day light as a feather!

Found that the rivets had broken out of the friction plate that hold on the fiberous material. Car has 181rwkw... Clutch type EXEDY EXTREME ORGANIC.

Think i will go clutch like my old car, with new one 3 puk brass button! Did'nt have a drama at all with that, copped a lot of abuse!

Overall i think they are very over rated! :santa:

post-27527-1177246180.jpg

post-27527-1177246259.jpg

That's what happened to my last clutch (also exedy organic - different car though). Also had some cracks around the springs.

It did get treated like rubbish though and lasted a while, so I got another because I didn't know of any real alternatives at the time.

They are good clutches.It all depends on what you want to do with your car,how much left leg work you want to do,and how much power it has to hold.

Stock would be much like the one you have there.Full faced but with a heavy duty button.

For 180-220rwkw i would recomend either a 8 puck as above "i have not seen these yet".5-puck,or 3 puck ceramic sprung/cushion button.They are easier on the leg for street not so much on/off feeling.And they will see you through track days well.

For 250-320rwk.Maybe a super single or twin plate???The twin is a bit harsh for street/city driving so i am told.So would be that kind of power.

Then you move into tripple plate etc.Cazy power cars.

Personally i use the 5puck ceramic sprung button and it has held out well.Though for the numerous events it has seen plus daily driving at arround 1.5yrs.It is allmost time to replace it.

Though others have differing opinions on what power they can hold.This is what i beleive they will comfortably hold.

My Exedy Organic has so performed flawlessly, and it's seen 1.5 trackdays, about 15,000km and 6 months - maybe more (not sure.

How it looks today:

Image073.jpg

This is the bellhousing after 6 months - look Ma, not dust !

Image074.jpg

My pressure plate assembly is the same used for the brass puck clutch, rated at 70% higher clamping force than stock.

just finished putting in a HD exedy clutch. feels real good and holds up through 2nd and 3rd no slip. I was thinking of getting a small (20thou) step machined into the flywheel ,they're suppposed to be flat, to give it a bit more clamping pressure but ran out of time.

Not sure of the clamping pressure but on installation the diaphragm spring caused the pressure plate to distort so that the bolts had to be tightened to get it to slip over the dowels..... So im guessing theres plenty there!!!!

Pedal is slightly heavier but not really noticable all in all pretty happy. I had a brass clutch in another car once and it ended up wearing the flywheel out, good for the track but everyday driving it sucked!