SAU Community

What Not To Do When Trying To Avoid A Kangaroo

Hey guys and girls, I had a rather eventful weekend, lost my pride and joy, but not my life which is the most important thing.

I was driving along a country road, not far from singleton, as we made the trip up the for my girlfriends neice's christening, it'll certainly be a story told at her 21st. At about 4pm on sunday afternoon I was travelling at about 80kmh an hour, and a kangaroo was up ahead on the road, so I swerved, lost control on the light coating of gravel on the road, slammed on the brakes (I panicked, and I should never have touched the damn thing) and careered towards the edge of the road, as it turned out I was going no faster than walking pace at this point in time (if the road was another meter or two wider, I'd still have a car in perfect condition), and I rolled off an embankment which had about a 3 meter or so drop down into a creek bed, the car rolled 1 and half times side ways and flipped back towards the road.

We were stuck in the car sitting in about 3 or 4 inches of water (thank god for the drought), trying to smash the passengers side window out (mine was under water), my gf's uncle broke his hand from punching the window frantically, we tried using the steel from a head rest, but I eventually found a rock in the creek bed which we used. As it turns out we all got out virtually unscathed, I've got about 15 stitches in my leg from being dragged out the window, my gf's uncle has a few stitches in his feet and a hairline fracture in his hand, and the passenger in the back seat had a few general aches and pains but was alright.

So anyone who ever comes across a kangaroo, hit the bastard, don't try and avoid it or you could do alot more damage otherwise. The ambos and police said they've never seen a crash as bad as this and everyone able to walk away from it. I'm very lucky to be here, the car wasn't insured as I was having an alarm fitted this week so it could get insured, but a 15 grand car is a small price to pay for my life. On the plus side, the car is virtually a perfect front cut, with no damage to any parts in the engine bay or undercarriage, its all just body work, so I should be able to get a fair bit of my losses back that way.

In the creek

img36871yh0.jpg

img36881vx3.jpg

img36951aj6.jpg

img37061ue1.jpg

img37141fu2.jpg

The aftermath

img37261kw1.jpg

img37281oz4.jpg

img37291wp0.jpg

img37311zr9.jpg

img37371ff4.jpg

Oh no bro :)

Im glad you are OK! You did a humane thing. However it could have been worse, the only thing to do really in those situations is to plant the foot on the brakes and hold your steering wheel pointing straight...

Mate thats so unfortunate! Sorry for your loss but glad to see you and all passengers are ok, best of luck getting on the road again. Accidents like these suck specially since mother nature is at fault! but what can you do!

Holy shit!

Glad all you guys are ok aside from some stitches!

Time to start selling some parts eh :)

Some cash might ease the pain.....

That exhaust looks like it's untouched too and the interior is still sale-able

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Holy shit!

Glad all you guys are ok aside from some stitches!

Time to start selling some parts eh :)

Some cash might ease the pain.....

That exhaust looks like it's untouched too and the interior is still sale-able

Yeah everything mechanically is virtually untouched, block, intercooler, exhaust, diff, tailshaft, even the wheels are straight, so the suspension is still probably pretty good. Hopefully I'll be able to get back close to 5 grand, I was very lucky with what was damaged, even the front and rear bars don't have a scratch on them. Basically everying except for the passenger door, bootlid, bonnet and right rear taillights and garnish can be stripped and sold. It's still up in singleton at the moment, I've gotta get a car trailer next weekend and tow it down to fully assess everything and see what my options are.

Dude, for everyone else sayin' u got bad luck, i gotta say u have some real good luck. I can't believe that u guys got outta that one safely. It's only money... can be made again: and think of it this way, next time u know better. The fact that u tried to avoid hittin the roo proves ur a nice guy, and that's why everyone escaped without much harm. It's all about karma.

Dude, for everyone else sayin' u got bad luck, i gotta say u have some real good luck. I can't believe that u guys got outta that one safely. It's only money... can be made again: and think of it this way, next time u know better. The fact that u tried to avoid hittin the roo proves ur a nice guy, and that's why everyone escaped without much harm. It's all about karma.

Mate believe me, I realise just how lucky I am. The loss of a car means nothing in the big scheme of things, it just means I'll have a few slim months without much cash, I'll be back on the road in a few months.

Someone was watching over my shoulder on sunday, I shouldn't have been able to walk away with just a few cuts and bruises but I was one of the lucky ones who lived to tell the tale. It's given me a whole new perspective on whats important life, before the accident if someone asked me would I be angry if I wrote off my car, I'd be livid. Now its just a moot point, its only money and something I can replace easily, its not as if its going to send me bankrupt or take me years to pay off. 2 or 3 months without a car is pretty insignificant in comparison.

mate my condolences to your car, dont sell yourself short but.

1500 for the box 2000 for the engine...mate your halfway there... i reckon 7-8k you could pull out of it.

I can relate to this...

Around 5 months back - I had a supercharged Honda Accord.... stupid me was drag-racing another car - a Turbo RX7 - basically, I was going at around 145 km/h - then I hit round-about and was airborne for like 2 seconds before hitting a phone booth then straight into someone's front yard... it was scary as... the car was onfire... the supercharger kept roaring as the peddle was damanged and stuck... the whole front dash caved in... it was so bloody scary... but eventually, the police and ambulance came... I am still fighting the legal fees as we speak... it was terrible... I had to be sawed out of the vehicle... it was not insured so I had to wear the loss myself... it created a dint in my pocket since now... that's why I ended up buying my dream car - a black R33... damn... that was an experience alright... one that I will never forget...

This is how I look at it... if I died...well, that would have been a pretty sad thing not just for myself but also for my family and wife etc... or had I survived that crash... what if I am a paraplegic or disabled? $20,000 or more is a very very cheap price to pay for my life that's why even though I am broke as - I am still content and happy... money... if you live you can make it again... I can earn $20k in 3 months or so... it will come back... but life...damn... that was scary...

Anyways, sorry to hear your situation mate... but chin up... you will bounce back very soon and let this be a life-changing incident...

Good luck, keep us postong on here...

Kevin

like others have said hitting the kangaroo could have done more bad then good! if it jumped up and went through your windscreen could of killed you on impact or the acco would of been worse and then you may not be here to tell us your story.

sorry about the loss of your car, shame you didnt have insurance on it already though. thats the first thing that should be done on any car!

hope you can get as much cash back from salvaging most of the parts.

good to know everyone survived. bad luck with car.

next time try to look further ahead when driving on country road. if see a kangaroo, brake as hard as possible without losing control and if lucky you would be able to stop just before hitting it. otherwise take it home and chuck it on the barbie >_<