SAU Community

Rb Turbo Power Vs Vtec?

Hi guys,

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on this... I used to own a Honda Accord VTEC 3.0 ... it came with a supercharger (not sure which one) but it went... the roar of the V6 VTEC engine would send shivers down anyone's spine... now that I drive a R33 beast... it too has power but if the two would be pinned side-by-side in a quatermile sprint...which would win do you think?

I noticed that with Skylines (Turbos of course)... it has highend power and no so much lowerend and the opposite can be said for VTEC Honda's... is there a way a Skyline can be tuned to have high power in the lower RPM ranges? Is there so controller or piggyback ECU that can adjust this or is this just how a RB is designed?

Thanks in advance...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed that with Skylines (Turbos of course)... it has highend power and no so much lowerend and the opposite can be said for VTEC Honda's... is there a way a Skyline can be tuned to have high power in the lower RPM ranges? Is there so controller or piggyback ECU that can adjust this or is this just how a RB is designed?

Thats because you had an 3 litre V6 obviously it would feel more torquey down low than an 2.5 litre RB. More to do with displacement than anything. In this case the supercharger contributes to the low end power too.

In fact most VTEC Hondas are 2l, 1.8l and 1.6l. These are famous for their peaky top end power not torque. so VTECs in general do not have more low end power than your RB.

There are many ways to improve low end power: Increase displacement e.g. RB30 conversion:). Aftermarket cams and etc..

Cheers

Hi guys,

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on this... I used to own a Honda Accord VTEC 3.0 ... it came with a supercharger (not sure which one) but it went... the roar of the V6 VTEC engine would send shivers down anyone's spine... now that I drive a R33 beast... it too has power but if the two would be pinned side-by-side in a quatermile sprint...which would win do you think?

Thanks in advance...

i thoguht the power range in vtecs it higher in the rev range in th elower rev range ti just saves petrol doensn't it? n the revs are longer as well tahts'w ot makes vtecs have the performance they have rite?

but all in all i reckon comes down to the driver :D

VTEC comes in at about 4.5k RPM. Unless your turbo comes in after that, you should have more power before VTEC kicks in.

And yeah, it was probably due to the displacement and supercharger.

...it too has power but if the two would be pinned side-by-side in a quatermile sprint...which would win do you think?

the skyline would win (imo)...if u launched both cars the 33 would be faster....

ofcourse the 33 would seem slower wen u just takin off normally, cause of turbo lag.....superchargers as u prolly know eliminate this lag + a 3ltr is gona help.

u dont have to spend much money on a skyline to get it moving faster...turbo bak exhaust, ecu, boost, fmic, done, and alot fatser than a freggin accord.

EDIT: off the line ull always struggle if u dont launch a skyline...

Edited by 32line

I have raced a Vtec integra 96ish model. He has exhaust and air intake. I had catback on series 1 33... Off the line I got him (comfortably) but top end, Was absolutely neck and neck. I Love the sound of the Vtec when it kicks in.

the aftermarket supercharger (i dont think its factory never heard of factory charged honda) would of made low down torque and being v6 would of pulled fairly hard......

Edited by rgr34

i haven't even been able to find a 3L accord with VTEC. they all have variable valve timing, but not the vtec setup.

I had a 1998 Honda Accord V6 Luxury... 3.0 litre VTEC engine - plus the preivous owner put in a supercharger...

Although I absolutely adore and love my Skyline to bits... I have to say, if the R33 had a 3.0 litre VTEC-alike engine in it... damn... a new monster would be born... I kinda miss the VTEC yo! LOL

Although I absolutely adore and love my Skyline to bits... I have to say, if the R33 had a 3.0 litre VTEC-alike engine in it... damn... a new monster would be born... I kinda miss the VTEC yo! LOL

lol

jesus f$cking christ, what a disgrace