SAU Community

Rb Turbo Power Vs Vtec?

From wiki

"RB25DE and DET engines produced from August 1993 also featured NVCS (Nissan Variable Cam System) for the intake cam. This gave the new RB25DE more power and torque at lower rpm than the previous model.

In May 1998 a NEO head was fitted, which enabled the engine to be classified as a low emission vehicle engine (LEV). The non-VCT and non-turbo was fitted to the R32 Skyline, the VCT turbo and non-turbo was fitted to R33 Skylines and Stageas. R34 Skylines also use these engines, but they are fitted with a NEO head."

Wow, NVCS...damn, I never heard of it... however, I have heard from so thta the NEO engines have a cam-shift system or something that has a more aggressive "kick in" effect similiar to VTEC... I been in a NEO powered SKyline once... it was tuned for the Turbo to kick in at the same time as the cam-shift... damn... it felt bloody groice... anyone experienec this?

Also, is it true that this can be tuned in??? Sorry for the this question, I honestly do not know...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure the R34 has VVT/VVL or something like this. I could be wrong. I thought it was to do with the whole NEO low emissions standards where the engine was to become more environmentally friendly, thus 'supposedly' more fuel efficient with the introduction of a VVT/VVL system(not sure of the exact name). NEO VVL is Nissan's version of VTEC.

I have also heard that late R33 series II got some form of VVT? But I definately cannot confirm this. Maybe someone else can?

EDIT: Just Googled & said the RB25DET does not have NEO VVL. Only SR16VE, SR20VE & SR20VET do.

Edited by HotPlates

turbo'ing a VTEC defeats the purpose of this 'argument'

for a quick and inexpensive street or strip package, any modified RB engine will be better than a VTEC.

If I was given a budget of $10K, it would be spent on a RB not a Honda motor....

all rb25dets have variable cam timing. the vtec on a honda is far more advanced in the area having a different set of lobes hence a diff cam profile! turbos are always going to have more torque. The rb engine was discontinued as it could not meet emissions however you must admit 160hp from an na 1.6 is pretty good from factory and 240+hp from the 2.2 in the s2000. a turbo always has more scope from improvement, but take this in into consideration Honda never had a warranty claim for an engine failure on ANY VTEC motor.

Its a pity Nissan never persevered withy the 25/26 engine. They have the technology to make these engines compliant to todays stringent standards. My Nissan patrol has a 4.8 litre twin cam quad valve six that gives awesome performance through the whole range by virtue of "Variable length intake manifold" Dont ask me precisely how it works but the effect is self explanatory.

The engine lost 5 kw this year to meet the new emission standards but still has a claimed 185 kws. It wasnt that long ago holden were bragging about those figures from their clubsport v8s.

By all accounts the head for this engine was pretty much copied straight from an rb26 so it shouldnt have ben too difficult to get the rb series to comply.

As an aside I lightly modded the patrol to get better fuel economy. 22/24 litres per 100 kay was too hard to live with so I fitted a beaudesert hi flow exhaust and extractors and a piggy back computer. Went from 185 kws to 225 and the economy improved markedly. It also dusts 6 cylinder n/a commys and falcons too. :P

If thats what you want to beleive (even though they tell you it is disputed), but its wrong.

What does "sr" stand for? and "vq", "ca", "ve", "rd", "vg" and a s**tload of others??

well, maybe its true, maybe its not.

but encylopedias dont publish up information wen they are 100% sure its incorrect.

soooo, that means it COULD stand for Race Bred...:P

The engine lost 5 kw this year to meet the new emission standards but still has a claimed 185 kws. It wasnt that long ago holden were bragging about those figures from their clubsport v8s.

By all accounts the head for this engine was pretty much copied straight from an rb26 so it shouldnt have ben too difficult to get the rb series to comply.

As an aside I lightly modded the patrol to get better fuel economy. 22/24 litres per 100 kay was too hard to live with so I fitted a beaudesert hi flow exhaust and extractors and a piggy back computer. Went from 185 kws to 225 and the economy improved markedly. It also dusts 6 cylinder n/a commys and falcons too. :rolleyes:

Should look up the VK45DE engine :P 253kw stock from a 4.5l quad cam V8. With a few boltons and some tuning that picks up a lot - imagine that in an R33 GTS!! Solid 12s NA....

I noticed that with Skylines (Turbos of course)... it has highend power and no so much lowerend and the opposite can be said for VTEC Honda's

You'd evidently never been in a Civic / Integra powered by a B16/B18, or a F20C powered S2000 if you think that VTEC engines have low-end grunt but no top end power.

The new i-VTEC engines are very flexible (I'm quite fond of the current Integra's engine, the only one I've driven), but VTEC earned its reputation for being completely gutless before VTEC kicks in, yo.

Although I absolutely adore and love my Skyline to bits... I have to say, if the R33 had a 3.0 litre VTEC-alike engine in it... damn... a new monster would be born... I kinda miss the VTEC yo! LOL

Try a V35 Skyline 350GT (with a 3.5L engine, funnily enough the exact amount bigger than Accord Seppo engine is compared to an R33 GTS-t), both NA or both with superchargers. Either way, it'll eat the Accord for breakfast.

Edited by scathing

"Some sources indicate the 'RB' name stands for 'Race Bred'[1], although this is disputed."

> source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_RB_engine

thats good enuf for me :P

RB= race bred.

well, maybe its true, maybe its not.

but encylopedias dont publish up information wen they are 100% sure its incorrect.

soooo, that means it COULD stand for Race Bred...:)

You think a Wikipedia source is authorative? I don't need any more proof for my belief that you're a retard.

You've got no f**king idea how Wikipedia works. I could log in now and say "the dude on SAU called 32line is a complete sh1t-stain, and RB actually stands for row-boat" into that Wiki entry, and it'd get 'published'. However, in that case, I guess it would be true.

Wikipedia not an encyclopedia, its gossip masquerading as information. And what peer review it has is not necessarily done by certifiably qualified sources. There was a dude recently who "resigned" as a reviewer after they found out his Ph.D was of the imaginary kind; he made up all his qualifications.

People like you are the reason why companies selling pills and magnets that "save fuel", and "add 40 hp with our AFM hot wire insert", can make so much money.

You think a Wikipedia source is authorative? I don't need any more proof for my belief that you're a retard.

You've got no f**king idea how Wikipedia works. I could log in now and say "the dude on SAU called 32line is a complete sh1t-stain, and RB actually stands for row-boat" into that Wiki entry, and it'd get 'published'. However, in that case, I guess it would be true.

Wikipedia not an encyclopedia, its gossip masquerading as information. And what peer review it has is not necessarily done by certifiably qualified sources. There was a dude recently who "resigned" as a reviewer after they found out his Ph.D was of the imaginary kind; he made up all his qualifications.

People like you are the reason why companies selling pills and magnets that "save fuel", and "add 40 hp with our AFM hot wire insert", can make so much money.

haha, scathing i dont give a shit if wikipedia is bullshit like u say. find me a credible nissan source that says wat RB stands for, ok dikhead?

if no one can find a factual source of wat RB stands for, then it can mean watever someone wants it to mean. u got that u fkhead?

suk my 10foot dick u scum f*kin, retarted excuse for a human being.

its always gonna be nissan rb power first and honda v tech second. Any1 seen any honda 1000hp cars? Look at the white veilside 1000hp+ ballbreaker > Signal R34 > JMS R33 wit only 500rwkw > RH9 R34 ONLY 2 NAME A FEW!!!! YOU HONDA FREAKS ARE DREAMERS!!! THE ONLY HONDA WHICH IN MY OPINION IS WORTH MORE OVER A RB POWERED SKYLINE = THE NEW AND NOT-RELEASED NSX i think its (v12).

ITS CALLED GET A REAL CAR NOT A LADIES CAR

Edited by RB Garage

ITS CALLED GET A REAL CAR NOT A LADIES CAR

errr...ok....

2002 Honda NSX-R 0-100 : 4.7 sec...

It's Nordschleife lap time is a tie with the Porsche 911 (996) GT3

and maybe ud like to watch this vid...

r34GTR vs NSX-R

hmmm, that dosnt look like it would be a 'ladies car'.

Edited by 32line

Lol. This thread is getting abit out of hand..

This comparison has to many variables,

Some engines were only produced to make a certain amount of power eg. a B16

I'm pretty dam sure that Honda never intended that engine to be its 'top of the range sports engine' so it is unfair to compare its Vtec version of that engine to say a Turbo'd RB26

But on the other hand If Nissan and Honda went all out to produce the best engine by means of Honda using Vtec power and Nissan using a turbocharger, I would take a safe bet that Nissan would win. Not because of technological advances within the company but because of the plain and simple fact the the Nissan engine will have help by way of Forced Induction where as the Honda engine will not because Vtec is not forced induction and it just does not compare to a turbo set up in terms of power gains.

V8's and supercharging.. well that's a whole other matter.

:P Theres my two cents, Hope their's no confusion.

Thanks

at test and tune on the weekend i beat a turbo r33 in a 99 magna with just a cat back. but by the end of the night he was getting quicker.

This could have been as mentioned, the driver gaining experience but also the night air becoming better for the turbo. The density of the air affects the turbo performance and as the night rolls over, the density of the air changes and the turbo performes better.

Im pretty sure thats how it works.. let me know if Im incorrect :P

dont take it out on 32line, im sure many people get misleaded by infomations on wikipedia too. the real retard in this thread is EVILTD! he thinks a supercharged accord V6 is what VTEC is all about! :laughing-smiley-014: what else is there to say!