SAU Community

Based On Your Experience, Which Ecu Would You Buy Today?

sl33py

Which ECU would you buy today, based on YOUR knowledge/exp?  

146 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Adaptronic e420c (www.adaptronic.com.au)

Is emerging quite strongly around the world. Is an australian designed built, programmed and backed

The creator will help on the technical side with customers. The owner/designer is a car nut, and is in it to help us out form his passion.

The numerous amount of features, the ease to tune, the auto tuning features, just millions of reasons.

And to buy with a loom from memory is around $1070, quite cheap for the huge amount of features. It's being proven time and time again too.

And the company is now rolling into doing plug and play looms also.

best ecu = Wolf .. simply because of it's features ... the only reason you all don't like it iz because no1 knows how 2 find good tuners for it

and you dont think this is a good enough reason? this is a prefect reason to not like a specific ecu

judging by your comments the a mines ecu is the best, but only one place in the world can tune them but it still good right?

whatever ecu a person choose there should be lots of local tuners who can work on it

that way you arent locked into sucker pricing and arent stuck with one tuner who may or may not be able to deliver what is required

remapped factory ecu or power FC if yo want extra features use 3rd party items.

i can have any ecu in my car wire it and tune it, but i have a remapped standard ecu.

btw wolf is shit :)

IMO the best ecu for almost any skyline is the factory ECU with an emulated tune. It has all the features allready their and usually with small mods only light tuning is required. The factory ECU has more tunability for an experience tuner than a PFC with any of the locally made software or hand controller. A major differnce between the factory GTR ECU and the GTR PFC is individual group sequentail firing of the front and rear three cylinders whereas the PFC averages the two MAF inputs and delivers a single injector pulse(depending upon injector flow rate per cylinder within the software). Both systems have quite good closed loop control and good timing control.

Wolf:

Lots of features however many of them dont work - may be later version 4 and above they may have ironed out some issues. Looks good on paper but lack firness. Poor closed loop operation from what I've seen. However available in plugin and is realatively cheap. We actually pulled a wolf V3 from an S14 and retuned the factory ROM using an emulator - the customer couldn't believe how much better the car drove even with his level of mods.

Motec:

Expensive - must pay for upgrades for each extra option. However good ignition and injector control, average PI cam control shithouse PI boost and closed loop lambda control. Can input many maps for everything to get around bad PI and PID loops.

Autronic:

Very good ignition and injector control, very good closed loop PI based boost and lambda. Best ECU capable of returning OEM quality. However lots of setup involed with various inputs and little help from manufacturer. Should be only setup and tuned by reputable autronic installers or tuners.

Microtech:

Average injector and ignition control - great easy of install and hardly ever issues with installation. Great value for money and quick tuning.

Edited by rob82

Have run link plus, was a nightmare -driveability, tuning, fuel consumption all terrible. Spent countless hours on the dyno but couldnt fix niggling problems like starting (hot or cold), nasty hesitation coming onto throttle etc. I initially chose due to the impressive feature list :)

Currently using PowerFC, besides the handcontroller being a pain in the arse to read in anything but perfect light its has performed well, cheap to tune (with plenty of options when it comes to tuners as well). Definantly better featured ecu's around in terms of features (launch control etc) but its hard to beat thanks to price and ease of use.

Personal experience with the ems on mates car is its a very good thing, driveability, fuel consumption cold and hot start all on par with the pfc in my car. Unfortunately some outputs on the ecu arent functional as claimed in the specs (8860) although ems assure they will shortly be available with a software update (which the ecu needs to be sent to ems for).

Autronic gets the vote

• 2 weeks later...
yeh with wolf ecus being hard to find someone to tune it i think thats a good enough reason to not want one.

i found Wolfs new software for the V4 , PLUS / V400 a lot easier to tune . Also looking at some of people maps who have tuned these Ecus , they never use the The fuel modifiers features like battery and Air temp compensation , if you set up these compensation scales correctlly before you Tune it your afrs are going to a lot more stable under the changing condtions , The more features you use correctly on the set up the finer your tune will be , with out trying to mask them with a rich or lean mixture in the your main map and not use the fuel modifiers .

Edited by Cameron_Datto

well i know for a fact that the microtech i had in the rx7 was easy to tune with ben from in tune gettin a very safe and well tuned outcome in a matter of 20 minutes. ive only ever dealed with microtech and am buying ltx12 as i only know microtech....

Edited by timma

For myself...

PowerFC - Cheap, Knock display, and such awesome drivability/idle/cold start/warm start, cheap as chips to tune, good fuel economy.

Knock display is extremely valuable.

Now that its not widely available.... I would still consider modifying an rb26 pfc to suit an R32 gtst or if i had a 33 I'd still adapt the rb26 pfc and run a couple of jaycar rpm trigger kits to work the vct. All for the knock display + its $828 delivered :)

I have used the PFC with twin Z32 AFM's for my 450 kw setup and it preformed flaweless, but now with the new drag race engine in, the PFc wouldnt suffice, i switched to autronic for the MAF deletion that it offred. I use the SM 4 model, it is a great model, the auto tune option takes a lot of guess work out of the equation, the mapping is easy and the car pulls like a rocket