SAU Community

Japan Scrapbook

Rezz

A snake slithering out of a drain in Asahiyama Zoo in Asahikawa, Hokkaido. It wasn't part of an exhibit...

DIAGONAL_0001_BURST20230707154557881_COVER.JPG

DSC_1175.JPG

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Google tells me that's a Japanese Rat Snake... 2m long? Man I think Australia has traumatised me to think all snakes are dangerous unless they're pythons.

Also...

SCR-20240520-proa.png

"16 years later..." is that a record on SAU @PranK?

• Like 1

Yep around 2m long or thereabouts. 

I made another post in the photo diaries 17 years later lol. I swear it has not been that long!

image.thumb.png.bf5d8d4373f6414196385a724197c425.png

Posted (edited)

G.G.C. (Gibier German Cook) restaurant in Motomachi in Kobe:

image.thumb.jpeg.44e0e7365db4a28858b4572e4be22ef6.jpeg

A tiny 2 floor restaurant that was founded in 1976. The original couple who owned/ran it retired and sold the business to a corporation who pretty much tried to keep it the same as it was. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ab362a098c61ec822e1c873504ff726b.jpeg

Lots of lesser known (to me anyway) German beers available. 

image.thumb.jpeg.a22a6032fdd201e86e62b010fc988f48.jpeg

Venison with vegetables. The meat came from deer from Hokkaido. The chef told us that there's a whole industry around the use of all parts of the deer from the antlers to the hooves. Sure enough, directly accross the street from this restaurant is a shop that sells all manner of utensils, clothes and objet d'art all made from deer skin, bones and horns.... also owned by the same corporation. The venison was super tender 😋

image.thumb.jpeg.7de7f1cbea5f35c3e5f7401f143e2fec.jpeg

Various decorations, a lot of which were quite old, no doubt from the original owners.

image.thumb.jpeg.904d37c797cefc43e0a25070af3de5ad.jpeg

A nice pilsner too which I'd never seen before. 
It's well worth a visit but check the opening hours, they're closed on Wednesdays, only open 11:30am - 3pm on Mondays and Tuedays, 11:30am-3pm for lunch and 5pm-11:30pm on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, and 11:30am-3pm and 5pm-9pm on Sundays. Last order is 30mins before close.

image.jpeg

Edited by Rezz
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, funkymonkey said:

Google tells me that's a Japanese Rat Snake... 2m long? Man I think Australia has traumatised me to think all snakes are dangerous unless they're pythons.

Also...

SCR-20240520-proa.png

"16 years later..." is that a record on SAU @PranK?

Yeah, I reckon it is. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was there at the beginning of May 

On 30/5/2024 at 3:59 PM, Predator1 said:

Anyone visiting Tokyo? If so, hit me up. Be keen to have a beer or 10

Might be there for work later in the year. Wouldn't mind catching up with you fellas - can't have too many beers, but will consume copious amounts of takoyaki while executing an asian squat on the side of the road while you blokes sort out your hangovers.

4 hours ago, funkymonkey said:

Might be there for work later in the year. Wouldn't mind catching up with you fellas - can't have too many beers, but will consume copious amounts of takoyaki while executing an asian squat on the side of the road while you blokes sort out your hangovers.

Wait, wat. Are you coming to Kansai?

Don't want to side track from the thread too much (don't want to upset the thread starter's run from 2007) so here's some old rusted Nissan Laurels in a parking lot in Nishinomiya, Hyogo-ken:

c130-nissan-laurel-neglected-8.JPG

c130-nissan-laurel-neglected-1.JPG

c130-nissan-laurel-neglected-3.JPG

c130-nissan-laurel-neglected-5.JPG

c130-nissan-laurel-neglected-6.JPG

c130-nissan-laurel-neglected-7.JPG

On 7/6/2024 at 4:03 PM, funkymonkey said:

Wasn’t a fan of takoyaki, love okonomiyaki though 

• 3 weeks later...

Gday,

im in japan late August for work. My conference is in Sapporo but I have given myself 3 full days to explore in Tokyo. I’d love to get to Daikoku but it seems it’s not the easiest to get to? Any recommendations on how to get there?

otherwise I am keen to check out the nismo factory and maybe go to an upgarage while I’m there. Other than that I’m keen to explore some cafe’s and food places..

if anyone is familiar with some cool places in Sapporo would be great too!

If you don’t have a car you can’t get to daikoku , so you’ll need to rent a car which means you’ll need an international driving permit 

nismo you can get there via public transport but one leg will be via bus and then a walk 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, r32-25t said:

If you don’t have a car you can’t get to daikoku , so you’ll need to rent a car which means you’ll need an international driving permit 

nismo you can get there via public transport but one leg will be via bus and then a walk 

Thanks. I was looking to book a tour to daikoku, not sure if anyone has done that before?

6 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

5 minute job, at a NRMA branch.

Not sure how easy it is in NZ for @R3N3 

Pretty easy here too. I just don’t want to take up too much of my time getting rental, returning it etc. the lazy part of me wants to just pay someone to take me lol.

• Haha 1