SAU Community

Pedders Suspension Quote...ripping Me Off Or Am I Just Naive?

Rang Pedders in Hornsby for a quote:

Front Castor bushes $99 -OK

Fornt lower control arm bushes $205 - hmmmm

Here's where i think it gets silly

$330 install +$75 wheel allignment

$300 install for front and rear coilovers

=$675 labour.

Is this how much it costs?

on my old car a lil maz 323 i had my shocks and stab bar rubber and eye bushes replaced for $130 at my local...

ring whiteline for another opinion on the parts costs.

install costs depend on where you take it. $60-75 for a wheel alignment is not uncommon. the amount of labour also depends widely on the specific car and its suspension, some suspension is easy to pull apart some of it you are at it for ages.

labour costs to pull all your suspension apart are always going to be higher than a couple of little bushes.

I got quoted $55 for a front of the car only wheel alignment after a few bushes installed.

Funnily, I pay $50 for the whole car!

Edited by MBS206

Prices like that mean they don't really want the install side of the job, but if you say yes then theres lots of fat in it for them.

I'd shop around some more (or do the bushes myself).

ring whiteline for another opinion on the parts costs.

install costs depend on where you take it. $60-75 for a wheel alignment is not uncommon. the amount of labour also depends widely on the specific car and its suspension, some suspension is easy to pull apart some of it you are at it for ages.

labour costs to pull all your suspension apart are always going to be higher than a couple of little bushes.

$75 for a wheel alignment will get you rubbish. They will most likely just do front toe and that's it. A skyline needs a full 4 wheel alignment (front toe, rear toe, rear camber and with your bushes front caster too). This will cost between $140 and $200.

the install prices they quote is not too bad. possibly a bit of fat there to allow for unknown problems.

Yep pedders is a rip. I took my castor rods off myself and pressed the old bushes out my self. Only problem was my press wasn't gustsy enough to push the new ones in. Anyway before work took the rods and bushes in to pedders and said i need these done by 4:00. Got there he still hadn't done them, he proceeded to do a couple other things and then finally got around to it. Took him about 2 minutes... had a whole day and still couldn't manage a 2minute task and still charged me $20.

Go somewhere else don't support these guys, essentially they were charging me $600/hour.

$75 for a wheel alignment will get you rubbish. They will most likely just do front toe and that's it. A skyline needs a full 4 wheel alignment (front toe, rear toe, rear camber and with your bushes front caster too). This will cost between $140 and $200.

the install prices they quote is not too bad. possibly a bit of fat there to allow for unknown problems.

Gah! You get yours done at $140 - $200?

I pay $50 for a FULL alignment.

And it's all this guy does (All he has done for 30+years)

Sets EVERYTHING on my car! Toe, camber, castor. Checks all my bushes, rack etc.

Keeps telling me to rip my HICAS out... LOL

how long does your $50 alignment take?

since I have about 3 alingments or more a year I can tell you there is no way someone could properly align a skyline for $50 and make any money at all. they would be loosing massively. especially if you have adjustable camber and castor (which apparently you do, as do I). I would average the time of 1 wheel alignment guy and the machine at $100 per hour. It takes around 1.5 hours to get it done. (sometimes even double that if there is a lot to do).

even typing out:

front right toe

front left toe

rear right toe

rear left toe

front right camber

front left camber

rear right camber

rear left camber

front right castor

front left castor

traction rod

check

adjust

check (for each of the settings above)

takes up $50 of my time just to type it out! each of those tasks will take around 10 min to get spot on.

since I have about 3 alingments or more a year I can tell you there is no way someone could properly align a skyline for $50 and make any money at all. they would be loosing massively. especially if you have adjustable camber and castor (which apparently you do, as do I). I would average the time of 1 wheel alignment guy and the machine at $100 per hour. It takes around 1.5 hours to get it done. (sometimes even double that if there is a lot to do).

even typing out:

front right toe

front left toe

rear right toe

rear left toe

front right camber

front left camber

rear right camber

rear left camber

front right castor

front left castor

traction rod

check

adjust

takes up $50 of my time just to type it out! each of those tasks will take around 10 min to get spot on.

Agreed, the only place in melb i have found that does a spot on job including all the big name alignment guys is Ray from resevoir tyre power.... new machine, in depth knowledge on motorsport and willing to spend the 2hrs or so that is needed to set everything up perfectley.

im meant to get charged 85 for wheel alignment because its for 4 wheels but im a good customer and only get charged 45

do half of the stuff yourself, save some cash and learn something....

Coilovers is easy! 3 bolts each strut and they come out! ive never done any suspension work before but ive done all front bushes, coilovers, rear cradle bushes.......

save cash then get wheel alignment!

even typing out:

front right toe

front left toe

rear right toe

rear left toe

front right camber

front left camber

rear right camber

rear left camber

front right castor

front left castor

traction rod

check

adjust

check (for each of the settings above)

Well you need to take up some typing lessons and go a bit faster, because you are very expensive .

LMAO, Pedders quoted me $750 fat ones for install of coilovers

"yeah mate it will take us all day if were lucky, your kind of car is very difficult to work on" <----- wank

i have a S1 R33 and it took me 5hrs to install and i don't know shit about suspension.

Aif

I dont kno much about it, but what I do know is that anything to do with suspention and breaks is something id like done by a professional. I wouldnt like my wheel falling off or my breaks not working because i forgot to bleed the system fully.

on a hoist at work with a a rattle gun and the right tools, did my coilovers in under 30min, you realy have to consider a real workshop for an import, not your local discount suspension imho. most time they can deff do the job. but wont know what works well for alignment specs on a skyline.