SAU Community

Tie Rod Ends.

First end was Ok for length of threaded section, but the tapered pin was too small.

Second was OK for pin, but too long in the threaded shank. So out with the angle grinder and....

the threaded section was only threaded the same depth as the shorter correct one, so now the rod bottomed out

before I could get any semblance of alignment. If I cut the rod off I would still been stuffed.

So on to the LHS and used up all the available adjustment so the car at least steers reasonable well till I can get the correct end. Steering wheel is about 150 degrees off, but drives straight no hands.

The overall length of the threaded shank including the round section is 117mm.

Tapered pin is 18mm dia. on large end and about 14mm dia on the small end.

I,ll try and find out off what vehicles the ends came, and post it up.

Tomorrow I now have to get another end plus two new tyres caus they stuff very quickly.

This misadventure has been the most frustrating episode of reparing any vehicle since I started (truck) driving at the tender age of ,yes, fourteen. Things were tough in those days.

Three times I've tried to get a simple tie rod end. Three times I've been supplied the wrong thing.

I've come to the conclusion that a lot (most) of the so called "parts suppliers" have not got a f**king (fornicating) clue.

While they have half cuts and wrecks and bits and pieces of 32 33 &34 Skys lying around, they do not seem to understand

for example that there is a difference between a 32 GTST and a 33GTR, or a 34 for that matter. One had two S1 half cuts.

I drove a 3 hour return trip only to discover that the wrong bit had been supplied. So far I'm about $220 out of pocket and

tomorrow I'm on another three hour return trip to get the right bit.

I just hope that all the Saints in Stagea heaven are on my side tomorrow.

I might also add that Mrs. 66yo is giving me f**king heaps over this.

Why didn't you buy a f**king Bombadoor and gas it?

Why???

im 999999.8798% sure the entire s14 front tierod and ends will work

or z32

let me do some part number crunching and ill get back with you in a minute

give me 24 hours to find this thing

i cant find it on the cusco or JIC site.

ill get you a definate what chassis crossreferences by tomorrow night hopefully.

I finally got the right one today. It came offa rack that had no identifying numbers or marks.

It has been very frustrating and I want to thank all the members who helped.

So tomorrow I get it installed and a couple of new tyres for the front.

Next week the timing belt etc.

I must learn how to post pics.