SAU Community

Stagea Fuel Economy

Pipster11 thanks for the comments.

I have read all the comments on fuel economy in this and other threads, "helpfull info - thanks everyone" (O2 sensor change duly noted).

The 570kms that I got, all be it highway run, seems to be quite good when compared - so I am more than happy with it. Had a bit of weight (4 x 19x8.5 with tyres) in the back aswell.

It's daily route will be 85% highway 15% town - hoping for at least 500ks a tank normal driving.

Cheers.

You should be able to achieve that, i think i got about 700kms from a tank on the drive from the Gold Coast to Tas at the beginning of the year, about to do the reverse, but with cruise control this time :P so i'll hopefully be able to post the differences from 98 and 95 ron fuel too

oh, and if you want a gadget that will keep track of your fuel economy and tell you what all your sensors are reading at the same time

www.ecutalk.com

great gadget and will let you hook your laptop up to your car too (you can do diagnostics and logging etc)

My Rs260 is only getting around 300-350 a tank standard. I can understand as it was on the dyno and only running 4psi boost and 110kws. I think its over fuelling really bad. Any one able to help?

My Rs260 is only getting around 300-350 a tank standard. I can understand as it was on the dyno and only running 4psi boost and 110kws. I think its over fuelling really bad. Any one able to help?

new coil packs and o2 sensors should fix it up

also consider resoldering your afms too

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Fi...-s-t113284.html

also check for loose hose clamps and split vac lines

Probably not the right thread to ask. Obviously something is wrong there. My 260RS get 400-450km out of a tank and is running 13psi. What ECU are you running? If it's standard do a fault code check and see what it comes up with. Go from there. Might be a boost leak somewhere, too.

I've check the computer and there is no fault codes. I took it into the shop and they couldnt find anything wrong. Its running rich and you can tell.

They said it could do with a tune but I can see how the standard computer and be tuned?

I'm looking at getting new o2 sensors, coil packs, I've got a boost controller to up the boost from 4psi to around 10-12 and a power fc to tune it all!

Will that help do you think?

Just got 785kms from Sydney to Byron the other day.. Filled up at twin caltex heading north got to Byron fri night and then some on sat morning!! Was happy with that! Definately better then my around Sydney economy..

Very nice on the ecomony front. Do you have cruise control?

You picked a great weekend to come up to Byron. Saturday & Sunday were the only fine days we've had for ages.

I've check the computer and there is no fault codes. I took it into the shop and they couldnt find anything wrong. Its running rich and you can tell.

They said it could do with a tune but I can see how the standard computer and be tuned?

I'm looking at getting new o2 sensors, coil packs, I've got a boost controller to up the boost from 4psi to around 10-12 and a power fc to tune it all!

Will that help do you think?

If you can get hold of Consult, it may help with the problem. 4psi really doesn't sound right for stock boost, so fix that problem before fitting a boost controller. Might be a boost leak or blocked cat. It should run about 6psi on actuator boost and 10psi with stock boost solenoid (I think). So get that sorted and then do the rest. Otherwise you're masking some other problem. O2 sensor is only used for closed loop (cruising on highway, etc.), so it will help with fuel economy, but won't help make more power. Coil packs are wise to upgrade, before they give you grief, but I wouldn't really expect any noticeable power increase from them if the car is already running fine on all 6 cylinders.

Very nice on the ecomony front. Do you have cruise control?

You picked a great weekend to come up to Byron. Saturday & Sunday were the only fine days we've had for ages.

no cruise control I was being very gracious on the pedal.. I have to say you can drive a better economy without cruise I used to do it in our maxima..

Yeah was a good weekend.. Was the wifes birthday the inlaws and her friends are up there..

Didn't quite get the same Economy on return trip was trying to race the clock to catch the F1 race..

If you can get hold of Consult, it may help with the problem. 4psi really doesn't sound right for stock boost, so fix that problem before fitting a boost controller. Might be a boost leak or blocked cat. It should run about 6psi on actuator boost and 10psi with stock boost solenoid (I think). So get that sorted and then do the rest. Otherwise you're masking some other problem. O2 sensor is only used for closed loop (cruising on highway, etc.), so it will help with fuel economy, but won't help make more power. Coil packs are wise to upgrade, before they give you grief, but I wouldn't really expect any noticeable power increase from them if the car is already running fine on all 6 cylinders.

I've check the airflow meter connections and they still look perfect. Did fix up some dodgy looking connections over the weekend.

I've wired in the boost controller and see to help but I havnt set it very high.

Going to get the power fc in this week and tunes so see how we go there!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

only had the beast (bog stock '99 RS4-S with 235/40R18's @41psi and 98 RON) for 4 weeks now but my worst tank was 420kms (first tank we used, on bald 235/45R17's at 32psi)

i just drove to sydney and did 120kms smashing round town, then drove canberra to sydney about 115/120kmh in 5th gear with A/C on and off, no cruise and just stomping it abit for hills and overtakes and then got to sydney city and then on the way home i had a 1/4 tank left got a chunk down the freeway and the light flashed twice and then i filled up showing 560kms on the tripmeter and coulda gone more but didnt wana risk the next servo stop.

Getting about 500kms to a tank around town, 600+ on the highway (easily do 650 on flatter runs). S1 RS4, HKS actuator(seems to run 10-12psi), Dayz/Nismo factory option 2.5" system, pod.

Has progressively improved as we've owned and serviced it.

-FOB with shagged coilpacks, knackered O2 sensor would have done at best 350km or so to a tank, on the highway (!).

-Cleaned filthy AFM and a few connectors, new NTK O2 sensor, now had best of about 450km regularly.

-.8 gapped NGK coppers and a set of Splitfires got it back to about 500km.

-Fixed some perished hoses (small vac/boost leaks), fixed the knackered cat convertor and its blockages downstream (most likely product of rich mixtures early on), new timing belt and getting 600+ highway kms.

It is my belief the horror stories about Stagea fuel economy come from neglected FOB cars. O2, clean AFM,all pipes and hoses in good condition, cat flowing properly and a fresh timing belt and accurately set base timing all make a big difference.

If yours hasn't had an O2 since import IMO its a matter of priority. Can be changed by a semi competent home mechanic and is inexpensive.

Edited by floody