SAU Community

Fuel Issues!

OK. I had an original fuel pump in my r32 and if I drove it for a long time, say an hour, it would start to die, but not stall completly, it just didn't have any power.

I thought that this was maybe because of the fuel getting to hot from the pump because if I put more fuel in, it would start to work again for a while depending on how much fuel I added.

I decided to swap the fuel pump with a Bosch 040 and now there is all new problems!

If I start the car cold it operates fine and is heaps quicker aswell but after it warms a bit the pump starts making really loud noises and the car looses power again.

I have run the pump directly from the battery for about 2 mins and it worked no worries at all, I then started the car let it idle for a while and sure enough it started making noises again within 5 mins, I also moved the return because I thought that it might be sucking in air but it didn't help.

I also changed the filter and cleaned out the tank because I thought it was just getting blocked but it did nothing.

Any ideas?

unless something is wrong that we cannot know about, only other thing it could be is the regulator. try swapping ur regulator with another r32's, see if it fixes.

if you don't get any good ideas from here, u can goto a dyno place and get them to chuck a fuel flow and pressure meter on it, check whats really going on and get them to diagnose / fix

Edited by InterCooL

do this test for me and tell me the results..

drive the car around untill the noise gets really bad and you start to lose power then go to the petrol station and fill up the tank with at least 35 litres of petrol. (if your game do it when the car is running while listening to the pump to check if the noise goes away or changes at all)

then drive the car around and see how long it takes for the noise to come back again and post the results up.

Just filled up the tank after the noise had started and it began to die like you asked, couldn't do it with the car running but it started making noises again within maybe 10 seconds of leaving the servo and had a little more power but was still really bad.

I'm not to worried if it's noisy but the lack of power is annoying

yeah how much petrol was in the tank when it was making noises and you went to the server and how many litres did you put into the tank? sorry if i was not clear but its better to do it while the tank has around a quarter of a tank or less of fuel.

get back to me

Have you wired a 12v relay onto the pump so it gets constant 12 volts ??? Im not sure if 32's suffered from this problem like 33's.

If you start the car in the morning how long does it take before the problem starts ?

You have a full tank now ?? start it up in the morning and take it for a normal drive and tell me how long it takes before it gets noisy and does it lose power before it gets noisy ?

I just ran a seperate wire to the pump from the battery with the car running and everything connected and it still started to make this loud whining noise but after that I disconnected the connector and ran the pump straight from the battery for about 5 minutes with no problems so the pump must be getting a signal from elsewhere or poor power to make this happen because the pump seems to be fine.

i'm not sure about this particular case, you'll hvae to muck aroudn with it more. all I can say, is i have never had good experience with 040s. they either get noisy related to heat, or they actually break. I've seen a few that have exhibited similar symptoms, and it was the pump - swapped with a nismo, and it was fixed.

dont you have to run both + and - wires to the pump as the - is the side controling the voltage through the ECU. Or am i wrong as usual :-)

I just ran a jumper from the - battery terminal to the - on the pump and the car ran ok for the past 5mins.

I was thinking of cutting the - wire and earthing it in the boot somewhere.

Wasn't this a mod that some people had done?

just want to make sure that it will be cool to do it