SAU Community

Spark Plugs

Hi the other day i was giving my car a bit of a workout and the orange check light came on a few times. I just asumed my car needed a service or does anyone know what else it could be or what it means???

Anyway i want to give my car a service myself and my mate is trying to tell me if i buy the iridium or platinum NGK spark plugs im going to need to get them spaced otherwise they won't work right and will sound crap. Is this true and how can i space them??? Its for a R33 GTS-T.

Thank you in advance

Edited by 4AL2NV

u may need to re gap em if the car is modded....... u can get a gapping tool any car shop..... im pretty sure they come gapped already for stock tune.......better take it to a performance joint they can recomend what they should be at.

They come at a 1.1 gap (not sure about 0.8) ... platinums can be bought in either 1.1 or 0.8 .....

I run at 0.8 (heatrange 6) on brand new splitfires and high boost just to ensure the spark doesn't arc out.

Do a search there is plenty of threads on this topic ... btw nissan recommends 1.1 & heatrange 5 for a stock vehicle (guessing that is with coils with no issues either)

i bought iridiums from supercheap about 5-10 000 km ago and they sold me the wrong heat range, and the wrong gap size. mercury motor sports told me that the iridiums that i was sold where for a non turbo stock r33. ill have a look for the part numbers for the new plugs, coz my car is running wicked good now i got the right plugs.

Aif

P.S if anyone knows someone with a N/A r33 that needs my old plugs plz pm me, :P lol

u may need to re gap em if the car is modded....... u can get a gapping tool any car shop..... im pretty sure they come gapped already for stock tune.......better take it to a performance joint they can recomend what they should be at.

LoL,The first tune shop i took my car to charged me like $50 for the Apprentice(i assume) to bang them on the ground with a hammer to re-gap my plugs to 0.7mm.

it worked

im told you can use cheaper alternative plugs which are only like $4ea. p/n BCPR6E i think they're copper but was told they work well.ill give em ago for my next service/Tune

Cheers