SAU Community

Wheel Alignment

alright...so i go to get a wheel alignment, and after spending 2 minutes telling the apprentice how to start the car so he can drive up onto the car lift, they get started...and then tell me they have no data for stagea and can't do it..they will order the floppy disks (old machine i guess) and have data in a week... but NISSAN refused to help me (obviously..they dont have FAST JP and they don't give a rats arse) and i couldn't find SK's number. I told them that "front track width should be same as GTR33 as i think the front swaybar fits, but otherwise i have little idea (and in retrospect...i believe i am wrong in even that little detail...because didn't Grant try and the gtr33 sway ddn't fit...right?)"

SO...

Gary, Grant...and anyone else who has a clue... WHAT IS THE DATA TO GET A WHEEL ALIGNMENT???

Castor? Camber? etc etc... (i don't knwowhat they need to know.)

suspension is as stock as a ducks guts...

can't wait to get new gear from group buy after tax time :wave:... hehehehehe

bloody TSV wheel alignment boys :D:laugh:

CHeers.

link edited as Im a fool

some info

fyi: Ive had gary's group buy on my car for over a year now, including R34 mags and new tyres fitted 14months ago. havent had a wheel alignment and tyres are wearing perfectly.

got to fit the front adj bushes and align it all tho.............. now the bike is sold got some cash to get it done.

want to grab a shift kit too =)

fwiw

for touge my alignment is

Front

-1.5* camber

.5* toe in

stock caster

rear

.5* toe in

-.75* camber

thats all i had adjusted

i need to buy traction rods for the rear and tension for the front so i can finish my suspension

but these numbers are only an initial alignemnt to what i had on my 180.

i need to get it on the track and find out what i need to tweek...im sure the rear toe is gonna wanna go a tad in for a better initiation for my drifts....but it hinders my high speed stability..so we shall see.

BTW GTR33 front fits

S14 rear fits

sway bar wise

buttt since sydneykid hasnt spoken yet, and im sure he will contradict everything ive told you so far

If you want an alignment that is in the middle of comfort and performance oriented

GO stock camber all around.

in the front tell them to tow it in a half a degree. you will get a more responsive turn in on your turns.

but that is ONLY my experience, and is by no way a go by rule.

i tend to like it more.

fwiw

for touge my alignment is

Front

-1.5* camber

.5* toe in

stock caster

rear

.5* toe in

-.75* camber

thats all i had adjusted

i need to buy traction rods for the rear and tension for the front so i can finish my suspension

but these numbers are only an initial alignemnt to what i had on my 180.

i need to get it on the track and find out what i need to tweek...im sure the rear toe is gonna wanna go a tad in for a better initiation for my drifts....but it hinders my high speed stability..so we shall see.

BTW GTR33 front fits

S14 rear fits

sway bar wise

buttt since sydneykid hasnt spoken yet, and im sure he will contradict everything ive told you so far

If you want an alignment that is in the middle of comfort and performance oriented

GO stock camber all around.

in the front tell them to tow it in a half a degree. you will get a more responsive turn in on your turns.

but that is ONLY my experience, and is by no way a go by rule.

i tend to like it more.

righto....read all the sugested threads...great guys and thanks again for saving an idiot :domokun:

from what i have read-stock camber can be pretty disgusting..as i am getting some wear on the inside of the tire - and other wheel alignmnet readouts have readings around 2degrees40 - i have been suggested to that i should aim for 1 degree.

Our Wheel Alignment machine at work has data for all Stagea's. It lists a suggested Min an Max for each adjustment. Eg - Camber may be Min - 0 an Max maybe -2 . Does anyone want me to get any thing imparticular? Its got 4 an 2 wheel drives and also has the 260.

depends

whatcha wanna do with your car?

do you have any adjustable links?

once i get all my links, all my settings will be just out of factory adjustable range.

i picked up some Cusco tension rods this evening....rear traction rods are all it takes and im done!

righto....read all the sugested threads...great guys and thanks again for saving an idiot :D

from what i have read-stock camber can be pretty disgusting..as i am getting some wear on the inside of the tire - and other wheel alignmnet readouts have readings around 2degrees40 - i have been suggested to that i should aim for 1 degree.

camber doesn't wear tires

Toe does

I ran -3* camber on my 180 with -.25* toe and had no abnormal tire wear.

they wont last 40,000 miles, but they last 6-7 months.....which by they they are burned off anyways....but thats just me...again lol

SK says its in the group buy thread. If you cant find it I have the figures.

I've just had a f**king horendous time getting a tie rod end. By the time I add up time effort and money it must have cost me near a grand. Absolutely NO bullshit.

Anyway today the Stag is all back to kosha. I aged so much I' thinking of changeing my name to, at least 72yo.LOL

IncidentlyI have a spare tie rod end now so if anyone is stuck, give me a buzz.

thanks guys... i just really eeded some target figures for a wheel alignment place here in Townsville... It was a quick check cause i popped a tyre bead and went off the road on Thursday night and wantwed an alignment quick smart...but it's driving straight..there isn't any visual damage to rim/tyre or arms... it all seems ok.. getting it done on wednesday now.. but at least i have some target figures now. Thank you very much :)

Will have SK's kit as soon as i get my tax back :yes:

Stageas, standard, have toe adjustment front and rear and small camber adjustment on the rear only. So that's all they can adjust, giving you front caster and camber figures that they can't achieve is a waste of time.

I assume it's an RS4, so 4wd alignment figures are the go.

Front toe, out 1 mm each side, we never measure toe in degrees in Australia, it's always mm (or inches for the old guys).

Rear camber, the standard adjusters are good for 0.25 degrees. So the best you can usually achieve is to get them somewhat the same. The less negative camber the better.

Rear toe, I find that RS4's (with standard suspension) understeer pretty much all the time. So I run a little toe out, around 2 mm a side, which helps with the turn in.

When you get some adjustment facilities for the front caster and camber and more adjustment range in the rear camber, the Group Buy recommended settings will be possible.

:D cheers :)

'spirited' drive up a mountain - musn't have had enough pressure in the leading outside tyre - body roll - 1700kgs onto passenger front tyre whilst coming off braking (so weight was already on the front wheels) - and *pop* - chris does the 'HOLY CRAP............................."

least to say, I shall avoid the 'spirited driving' till i have SK's kit, a wheel alignment and checking my tire pressure next time

like i said...no real damage aprat from ahving to popthe tyre back on down the servo with 40+psi and some paint cracking on the front spoiler under flex...

my sidewalls on the 16's are competing with fairy floss in a plasticity competition - espescially under body roll......*yuk*

Sydney Kid... I lurves you....

Edited by captinsane

'spirited' drive up a mountain - musn't have had enough pressure in the leading outside tyre - body roll - 1700kgs onto passenger front tyre whilst coming off braking (so weight was already on the front wheels) - and *pop* - chris does the 'HOLY CRAP............................."

least to say, I shall avoid the 'spirited driving' till i have SK's kit, a wheel alignment and checking my tire pressure next time

like i said...no real damage aprat from ahving to popthe tyre back on down the servo with 40+psi and some paint cracking on the front spoiler under flex...

my sidewalls on the 16's are competing with fairy floss in a plasticity competition - espescially under body roll......*yuk*

Sydney Kid... I lurves you....

lol, are your wheels ok?!!

Im glad everything turned out ok though, im sure that was a scary episode. lol

wheels are fine remarkably... a little more scrubbing but there was a ton on there when i first got them from a previous owner so i am not all that worried... Hasn't lost any tyre pressure over the last 2 days and no visible damage otherwise :D

Wheover had it before me even was complacent enough to let the tyre balancing guy put weights on the outside of the mags :P *yuk*

I expected to get out of the car and see power steering arms broken, tie rods gone and wheels poking away from the body at 90 degrees to each other... I was well overjoyed to see them pointing in the same direction and the inside of the wheel still on the rims... >_<

Edited by captinsane