SAU Community

Problem At High Revs

hey peeps, so i got a problem, nothing major yet but it could get worse. so the problem is at hard acceleration and medium to high revs it feels like a rev limiter hits but only half as severe as normal limiter (fells like it bogs down). after 1 or 2 secounds it stops and she keeps reving to 7 grand then changes gear. anyone got ideas

dirty fuel lines and injectors? how long has this been gion on? dirty lines and injectors should only last for a few hours of hard driving. So... . Checked your boost controller? which gear was it in or its across the boeard?

hey peeps, so i got a problem, nothing major yet but it could get worse. so the problem is at hard acceleration and medium to high revs it feels like a rev limiter hits but only half as severe as normal limiter (fells like it bogs down). after 1 or 2 secounds it stops and she keeps reving to 7 grand then changes gear. anyone got ideas

Turned the boost up by any chance ...................

:dry: cheers :)

nnnot the coil packs, had them replaced a few months ago with splitfires and new plugs. could be a boost issue as i tried to run stock bost controller at high boost by teeing of the black to earth but didnt nottice a change so removed it. when the problem first started it bogged down for longer but now it still losses power but not as much. off to wor so will see if its still there post when i get home. thanks

im having the same problem at the moment.. i changed my plugs last weekend but that didnt help - next step i would take is coils but you say that you have already replaced them :) thats not very reasuring :D haha

does it have a grinding sound to it? not like a mechanical grind but more of a exhaust grind when the loss of power happens?

id be very keen on seeing a answer aswell.. not a good thing to be happening

talked to my auto sparky today and he said it might be boost cut. not to sure as this is my first turbo car and haven't fitted my boost gauge yet? the exhaust does make a kinda grinding noise. when my coil packs were stuffed she didn't idle well when she warmed up, does that sound like your stag bricey? also when it got worse under hard revs you could feel it miss fire

hmm nah mine idles pretty well, never had a issue on idle (except i can notice a slight faint popping coming from the exhaust on idle when i use basic unleaded petrol)

its very hard to explain, i posted up that i would take a video of it - because it is so hard to explain. but i know what your saying, its a cut in power - for sure - when this sound happens, its kind of a exhaust grinding/exaggerated flame thrower sound.. it doesn’t do it all the time and its very unpredictable (asin, you can predict at around what rev range it will do it but you can say “im gonna get in the car now and its going to do it”) if that makes sense. about 60-65% of the time it happens id say.. sound like what you have?

SK was pointing the most likely reason as it is well covered here at SAU.

if you have upped the boost on a standard computer then you will be hitting rich and retard (R&R) so the computer will be pulling timing and pouring fuel in to protect itself from running too lean. there is no boost cut as the computer has no map sensor.

ps. brycey your car sounds like it is pinging (its tits off even) i would suggest you never put standard unleaded into your car only 98 ron fuel min and you should spend a little on a basic dyno run to check timing and fuel etc. i am assuming the noise you are hearing is like gravel being thrown down your exhaust pipe this is detonation/pinging and it is going to shorten the life of your new car.

SK was pointing the most likely reason as it is well covered here at SAU.

if you have upped the boost on a standard computer then you will be hitting rich and retard (R&R) so the computer will be pulling timing and pouring fuel in to protect itself from running too lean. there is no boost cut as the computer has no map sensor.

ps. brycey your car sounds like it is pinging (its tits off even) i would suggest you never put standard unleaded into your car only 98 ron fuel min and you should spend a little on a basic dyno run to check timing and fuel etc. i am assuming the noise you are hearing is like gravel being thrown down your exhaust pipe this is detonation/pinging and it is going to shorten the life of your new car.

i dont think its as severe to call it pinging, its hardly noticeable - defiantly not as you described.. its just like a very very faint sound, almost like a 1/20th of a miss.. its like idle idle idle then almost a tiny weeny pause then it keeps idleing.. the engine is standard ( including boost) with 104k's on the clock (belt done at 80k).. no reason why it would be pinging :D i usually use the higher octane petrol but the "boost 98" at my local united was out of order so i just went for the normal ULP.

Tried to get a clip tonight but it wasn’t playing up..

haven't upped the boost at all only tried to run the stock solenoid on high boost according to the tread but have now removed it. i always run premium 98 so it has never pinged. what sensors would r and r my stag anything to do with exhaust sensors

hi all i have had this problem b4 and it not coil paks u mite need to gap ur sparkplugs i put new plugs in the stagea and it did the same thing then i gaped them down and smooth as i run v-power plug now and gaped them down on both the stagea and the 32 and its the best thing i have done everyone said my coil paks were rooted but dane from desynz motorsports gaped my down and on the 32 dosnt matter what boost i run it never does it . try take it will cost u nothing just taking ur plugs out

yeah thats a good sugestion, probably the cheapest option too

Get some NGK spark plugs, item number BCPR6E

They are a 0.8mm pregapped, copper, v-groove plug, around $2.40 each.

Also get some Industrial Strength Silicone Sealant from a trade store for $12 and cover your coilpacks with that goo. Stops wasted spark.

Had the same problem myself before I got the safc and sitc tuned. Was R&R, it was noticable even before I turned the boost up, not too bad though. Then when I put the front mount on and raised it to 10psi the R&R was pretty harsh at times. Holding it on first or second gear at around 5000 on 3/4 throttle would produce some neck braking jumping around at times. However if I held it at wot wouldn't happen nearly as bad. After the tune its pretty much all gone now. Can still see some evidence of it on my graph but you don't really notice it.

I was surprised to be having R&R issues at only 10 - 11psi but the tune fixed it.

that sounds like the problem as i have my full 3 inch zorst fmic and pod, just waiting on my boost controller for the tune, our cars are gonna be like sisters when i get my kit painted. i have same kit on order again but will be awhile till i paint it, oh and shes red