SAU Community

How Big Can I Go? (wheels)

I still love my Stagea but have to get some bigger wheels to fill up the guards.. it came with 17's..they look way too small..I know 18' fit with no probs but I am wondering how much bigger I could go (in total) before it would become problematic.I know I am restricted buy what will physically fit ...but a what stage would it start to affect performance/acceleration.

My logic tells me a larger overall wheel/tyre would decrease acceleration..and show a slower speed than reality...????

I am not thinking stupidly big....18's or 19's with a larger side wall profile is what I am thinking of.

Cheers

Scott.

I run 255/18R45's fine, even with it lowered several inches, but wait until Grant "The King of teh Lowness" posts, as he seems hell bent on running his beast with 2mm ground clearance ;)

tub the wagon and run 30's, bling bling!!

(make it lower than grants too)

seriously however.. i know 235/35R18's fit, as thats what kylie has, and id imagine a 19 would fit easy with the amount of guard clearance there is left.

is yours lowered? that can affect rim size too.

also, larger wheels make you travel FASTER than what your speedo indicates, as the larger rolling diameter has a greater circumference, and travels a further distance over 1 rotation.

i've got a set of rims that measure 18 * 9.5 +32 on the way with 265/40 18's ..will tell you if they wayy too big when i get the wheels and fit them on.

I know fuzzy had 19's on previously but now has 18's but im not sure what widths his 19's were.

On mine at the moment i have 18 by 8.5 all round but on my previous rims which were works on the back i had 18 by 9 and my Stagea is lowered also and i had no drama's

I know fuzzy had 19's on previously but now has 18's but im not sure what widths his 19's were.

they were 19x8.5 ... fitted up easily without any probs.

Has anyone fitted 20's here?? I'd be interested to know how fitment went, well and what ride quality/fuel eco is like.

Edited by -FUZZY-

personally 17" are the best riding and most economic in terms of tyre prices. Once you get through to 18" prices jumped by almost 50%.

I found that 18" its ok and looks good. Trade off is the price and the ride quality especialy going over train tracks and shitty rural roads.

Perhaps Sk could clarify this. Between 17" and 18" tyres which one got more traction? In terms of pick up? My guess is 17" would fair better in terms of traction and pick u speed.

doesnt matter

my 18s have the same rolling diameter of stock

its all in your tire width selection and sidewall

Ill make it short and sweet

you have to answer two question

Do you want stock fenders and no rubbing

or

are youw illing to use a fender roller (or pipe) to flare the rears

and

is this purely for performance advantage

or

looks as well

Ill base what you should run based on those answers so i dont write another book

i've got a set of rims that measure 18 * 9.5 +32 on the way with 265/40 18's ..will tell you if they wayy too big when i get the wheels and fit them on.

easy fit.

personally 17" are the best riding and most economic in terms of tyre prices. Once you get through to 18" prices jumped by almost 50%.

I found that 18" its ok and looks good. Trade off is the price and the ride quality especialy going over train tracks and shitty rural roads.

Perhaps Sk could clarify this. Between 17" and 18" tyres which one got more traction? In terms of pick up? My guess is 17" would fair better in terms of traction and pick u speed.

id imagine 17's would have a slight advantage over 18's, due to a slightly larger sidewall, and usually lighter rims, and also majority of the weight being closer to the hub. however its probably not even noticable

aslong as you dont buy some cheap ass cast iron 19" chromies, you should be right. :)

doesnt matter

my 18s have the same rolling diameter of stock

its all in your tire width selection and sidewall

Ill make it short and sweet

you have to answer two question

Do you want stock fenders and no rubbing

or

are youw illing to use a fender roller (or pipe) to flare the rears

and

is this purely for performance advantage

or

looks as well

Ill base what you should run based on those answers so i dont write another book

easy fit.

it may have the same rolling diametre, but the rim itself is likely to be heavier, and have more weight further from the hub, thus affecting its ability to be rotated.

id imagine 17's would have a slight advantage over 18's, due to a slightly larger sidewall, and usually lighter rims, and also majority of the weight being closer to the hub. however its probably not even noticable

aslong as you dont buy some cheap ass cast iron 19" chromies, you should be right. >_<

it may have the same rolling diametre, but the rim itself is likely to be heavier, and have more weight further from the hub, thus affecting its ability to be rotated.

so turn up the boost wimp.

so turn up the boost wimp.

err yea but that wikk create inefficiency to the car. Cos you are covering up so called "weakness" by upping the boost.

if you view a 5 or 6lb a wheel diference a weakness.....then sure you can put it like that

everything has a trade off

wheels are a small amount of the entire picture

thats why d1 guys have more HP i guess

to pull around those big wide wheels, and all taht heavy aero and rollcages

if you view a 5 or 6lb a wheel diference a weakness.....then sure you can put it like that

everything has a trade off

wheels are a small amount of the entire picture

thats why d1 guys have more HP i guess

to pull around those big wide wheels, and all taht heavy aero and rollcages

dont forget wieght is one of the factors ehich is important in racing. In prro racing the would prefer to up the hp without upping the wieght.

lol

we arent driving hondas, or rx-7s, or whatever

its a 3500+ lbs wagon.....

a few lbs wont hurt anyone

Go on a diet.

yea give me some sashimis' LOl!!