SAU Community

Rb26 Smoke!

Hey all,

Soooooo, I have an r32 GTR

rb26dett

Garret 2860rs

OS Giken Cam gears

(Now has stainless manifolds, was stock)

Dumps pipes and full exhaust system

HKS pods

PowerFC

Hks AVC-r

It has been off the road for about 2 months, ripped the turbos off, got new manifolds and patched up a couple of holes in the dump pipez. stuck it all back together.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...p;#entry3032332

(can read about it a bit more there)

Anyhow car is back together now and I easily notice the increase in power and torque.

I have only booted it maybe 2 or 3 times but anytime I do a "Shit Load" of smoke comes spewing out the exhaust, U cant see 10 meters behind you because of the smoke. (Have only done it to that degree once was on 14psi usually just cruise around on 8psi). Before hand there was no smoke at all it was fine just a bit sluggish.

Any thoughts. I checked the oil and it is on low atm (was full 2 weeks ago when car was put back together) I will fill it and watch it closely there is no oil in coolant and so forth. not sure what has happened. The oil pressure gauge dropped down to just above 0 last night as well, (usually in on 4ish at idle, maybe a little below) I thought this might have to do with the amount of oil that was in the car but. Just after some thoughts.

AsH

yeah sounds like its burning oil

that would account for the decrease in oil and the smoke

depending on the colour it may not be too bad. The motor may be 'breathing' a little more running more boost on an old engine, therefore you have a bit of oil going through the intake and getting burnt which could create a whitish cloud of smoke

or, the rings may be shot which gives the smoke a bluish tinge.

Have a look at your intake piping to see if theyre coated in oil. If so, a catch can would be a good investment.

If not, get a compression test done firstly, without oil in the cylinder bore and secondly, with a little oil squirted into the cylinder. If compression increases with the oil, then you know that the rings arent the best

But first, tell us what colour smoke you see

It looks whitish to me not black, dosent look blue, I will have a better look when I go out this afternoon, I did an oil change when I was pulling car apart put some valvoline 5w- 40w stuff in it, supposed to be good for turbo's and so forth could that oil be to thin? if that makes sense?

Edited by AsH__85

white might be some water/coolant fluid leaking somewere. Have you double checked your overflow bottle, radiator ect?

Edited by monga

if you took the old turbos off because one was dead, you may have a bore or two with ceramic dust damage.

If not you still might have a very worn pot or two. How many kms has the motor done? Do a compression test is step one anyway.

My bet is low compression/bad ring seal.

You can drive that motor around for a while with your fingers crossed, it will let go one day in the next year.

Sorry to be negative :ermm:

Little update

Lots of oil in the turbo and intercooler pipes, will get a catch tank asap, engine would be about 80 - 90k old, old turbo's were on last engine, this engine is supposed to of had a good set ripped of when the guys car was written off.

The pressure went back up again today just took if for a little drive then, about 2500rpm was up to about 6kg, on idle was about 2-2.5ish (that is were it was normally sorry wasn't 4). If there is plenty of oil pressure is it still possible the rings are shitted???

I will watch the oil level in the next couple of days and see what its doing and also get that tank and let you know whats happening. One again thanks heaps for all your help and comments guys.

AsH

Yeah i have f**ked turbo seals, Oil all through my intercooler and piping. Its fine unless i boost up over 5 to 6000rpm.

Getting new turbos soon.

Yea ive got oil leaking out of my blow off valves too, probably turbo seal. But ive also got heaps of white smoke even on idle. I know the engine is on its last legs, getting ready for a rebuild :(

UPDATE!!

I hooked up a catch can all smoke is gone, I however there is no oil going into the can at all.

The hose that was going from one rocker cover to the other wasnt standard hose and I think it was kinked, would this cause the oil to be forced through the engine or something along those lines???

Any how its sorted and is running well,

Thanks again for everyones help

AsH