SAU Community

Bad Shipping/transport Experiences

G'day all.

I'm looking to buy a Stagea soon, and am weighing up wether to import or buy from within Aus.

Just wondering if anybody's had any bad shipping experiences with their imports, and wether there's any way to prevent something happening to my car if I buy from Japan.

Thanks.

G'day all.

I'm looking to buy a Stagea soon, and am weighing up wether to import or buy from within Aus.

Just wondering if anybody's had any bad shipping experiences with their imports, and wether there's any way to prevent something happening to my car if I buy from Japan.

Thanks.

pick a good import company.

I recommend www.J-spec.com.au or Prestigemotorsport.com.au

imports101.com.au is supposed to be good too, but have not dealt with them myself.

Funkymunky is from j-spec and active on these boards.

Just check the insurance options on shipping. On the whole though, it's pretty safe.

I'm planning on going with J-spec or Prestige when the time comes.

There's a Stagea that's on J-spec at the moment which I'd buy at the drop of a hat if I had the cash right now (It's the one that's in my sig).

Get the car transported via a container as opposed to drive on drive off. If you do decide to go for drive on drive off avoid kiwi car carriers as they have the worst reputation in the industry.

Just make sure u get insurance, My mate didn't and ended up having 4 space savers for mags when it arrived.... i thought it was pretty funny but he didn't.

But u take the risk and learn a lesson...

Just make sure u get insurance, My mate didn't and ended up having 4 space savers for mags when it arrived.... i thought it was pretty funny but he didn't.

But u take the risk and learn a lesson...

:laughing-smiley-014:

Yeah, I will definetly be getting the insurance.

I will also be getting it shipped in a container then. How much are the containers usually?

My V35 arrived last week, used K-Line and could not be happier.

Everything seems 100% in order.

There was even a small scratch that I saw in a pic that was sent to me while the car was on dock in Japan, which i can't find now, so I'm thinking they might of got bored on the trip down and buffed it out for me :bunny:

I can see you're in NSW, so make sure you request a ship to NSW. I think KIWI only go to Brisbane and the the car coems down to ydney by road. This might be quicker as there are more ships to Brisbane ( I think), but the less your car is moved and handled the better. IMO

As for insurance, my only advise would be to get pics of the car dated as close to as possible to when the car gets on the boat.

But yeah, insurance is like any other insurance. If there's a way out then they'll find it and not pay.

I paid about $1300 + $150 insurance for a container from Japan to Melbourne via an importing company.

Wow, that is cheap. It almost costs that much roll on roll off. What importing company did you use? I wanna send a container home early next year and I was expecting to have to pay at least twice that.

stephen, that's for container with car inside. if it's for your general stuff/parts etc there will be other associated costs. general rule is budget around $80 USD per cubic metre for consolidated cargo. plus that $1300 doesn't include clearance, customs, duty. You will find the actual shipping portion of roro is only about $700 or $800.

it depends a lot on size (20ft, 40ft) and where it's being loaded, and who is doing the loading etc, who is preparing the bill of lading and how many items are on it (with a car just 1 obviously). all that stuff costs $$. there are heaps of associated costs with container shipping parts/goods/etc.

when the time comes around best to just start getting prices from K-line or mitsui. both very good.

Cheers.

Gareth, what liner did you use?

Best to PM me because I don't check the forums too often.

Everything was organised by PhoenixImports, the shipping company is NYK I believe.

http://phoeniximportsaustralia.com/

As BeerBaron stated this does not include quarantine, customs or any other fees that may appear, this is JUST shipping from Japan.

Also, the car is not arriving till this Saturday, I could give you more feedback if you PM me later next week, when I get to see the car in person.

Regards,

Gareth

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Ummmm, I'm AllBlancT's Oldest daughter, & I work for a shipping company. I have no idea where these rates are coming from?????? I think $3000 is way too much (unless shipping in 40FT container, which is acceptable) The most I have seen for shipping a 20FT container $1300 (depending on quote). The only limitation on shipping a20FT container is the weight (which cannot exceed 20,000 KGS) So you pay a Full Container Load, so you can put whatever you want, as long as is does'nt exceed 20,000 KGS. You can request a container with Tie-Down Eyelets (Things to keep your car secure to the floor in the container).

Hi All,

Ummmm, I'm AllBlancT's Oldest daughter, & I work for a shipping company. I have no idea where these rates are coming from?????? I think $3000 is way too much (unless shipping in 40FT container, which is acceptable) The most I have seen for shipping a 20FT container $1300 (depending on quote). The only limitation on shipping a20FT container is the weight (which cannot exceed 20,000 KGS) So you pay a Full Container Load, so you can put whatever you want, as long as is does'nt exceed 20,000 KGS. You can request a container with Tie-Down Eyelets (Things to keep your car secure to the floor in the container).

What company is that via?