SAU Community

Confused! Need Help On Whether To Buy R34 Gtt Or S15

they are not the strongest, but the ratio is great

perfect 3 & 4 gear, power is always there whenever you want it

you don't even have to drive the car hard to realize the embrassment of skyline's 5 speed box

exit from a 90 degree bend: 2 gear is too short, 3 gear is too tall

i'd hardly call it an embarassment considering the 6 speed is alwasy ripped out in favour of the 5 speed.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd hardly call it an embarassment considering the 6 speed is alwasy ripped out in favour of the 5 speed.

not if most s15 owner can afford a Nismo 6 speed

it's more about budget than favor :)

Not "always". The 6 speed will handle at least 220rwkW, which isn't bad considering the stock power is about 125rwkW. The only guys who end up putting 5 speed boxes in their Silvias are the guys who have chased big power out of them. I don't know of that many S15s running around with 5 speeders that aren't dyno queens or track cars.

There is a known issue with one of the circlips breaking over time even at "mild" power increases (if you can call up to 75% more power than stock "mild"), which the most common cause of the 6 speeder's reputation for weakness, but as such there's also a fix for it when it breaks.

if your going to putt around off boost most of the time go the 34... much easier to drive everyday and hardly any difference in performance from the S15... just won't feel as 'sporty'... but then again s15's do sound like a tractor, 34 definately sounds more like a sports car...

if its Nissan it has to be the straight 6... the only thing I think you really miss in the 34 is the diff from the S15... the rest is a no brainer imho

oh i forgot to mention make sure you buy manual its critical .. the manual feels like ur driving it .. suspension the whole setup flows with the car in the auto feels like ur driving a bmw with less interior work .. shit house.. n way less balls which can be changed of course

and the cars are listed on the net what you can and cant drive .. yes its turbo n u wont be able to drive it .. the n.a ull be rite

Edited by DECIM8

Not sure how much fuel the S15 uses, but my 34 drinks like a fish. From 50L, i'd be lucky to get 400km even when driving like a granny. 300 - 350 ks is the norm, but i drive it pretty hard especially when the tank is full. Fuel is crazy expensive these days.

Parts are also more expensive and harder to come by I've found. Then there's the more expensive insurance for an import.

A Jap spec S15 would be hawt.. with a clean look and no spoiler.

abit off topic but have u guys seen s15 convertible......are these factory optioned or one offs??? i seen one on the net somewhere it looked hot.......

Edited by rgr34

Most of the drop top ones are non turbo.

Test drive both and see how you like it. I got the R34 as I always loved them. I been in a S15 before and its a nice car but I still prefer the R34 (but than again I’m probably bias). Compare for yourself either way u win.

Also sell your car privately and buy a car privately. For your Integra u be lucky to get $8k from a dealer and u can buy a R34 or S15 about $4k - $5k cheaper privately as well. People often buy from dealers for the warranty. Most of the time the warranty is only valid if you service the car with the dealer and you pay for each service (f%#k that).

ps. get the S15 so there is less R34s on the road.. lol...

i had this problem too. s15 or r34

Well for me it was the r34, and after driving alot of both i got an r34 on the weekend. I have found fuel to be good got about 180k out of 1/4 of a tank on the highway. (stock motor with exhaust) the r34 feels great to drive and has the guts to back it up if need be.

No S15 Varietta came out with a turbocharger. Anyone who's got one has fitted it themselves. And yeah, it was a "factory" vehicle....I believe they're done by Autech.

They look OK, but the back of it is so flat and so big. Its just this massive expanse of.....nothing. It looks weird. It needs a wing, but wings on convertibles are so easy to get wrong. And with the roof up its no oil painting either.

Agreed the Varietta looks weird. I would never buy a convertible that was "based" on a coupe. It just doesnt work well. Think of the original chassis design. It was never ment to loose the roof and have a heap more weight thrown in.

The only convertibles (i.e. hard tops with the roof cut off) that I like are supercars or muscle cars. The F430 and Gallardo Spyder are hot, as is the V8 Vantage convertible, and the classic "Eleanor" Mustang shape (either the new one, or of Eleanor's age).

Otherwise, give me a roadster (purpose built with no roof) any day. When I look at Audi, Saab BMW or Mercedes convertibles.....yuck

my friend just go drive an s15 then 34 and u wil see that the 34 is a lot better ive driven both i own a 34, most of my mates have s15 and 1 of them blew his engion the other his turbo meenwhile ive been running 14 psi

in my 34 on the factory turbo for about 1.5 years now and the only thing that went on it was the clutch no other probs.

dont ask on a skyline forum weather to get an s15 or 34 lot of biased oppinions go drive both cars and make up ur own mind.

if ur looking for power go the 34 i making 245.2 atw with 14 psi, cat back, pod filter and boost controler these r the only mods that i have.

1 of them blew his engion the other his turbo meenwhile ive been running 14 psi

in my 34 on the factory turbo for about 1.5 years now and the only thing that went on it was the clutch no other probs.

go drive both cars and make up ur own mind.

if ur looking for power go the 34 i making 245.2 atw with 14 psi, cat back, pod filter and boost controler these r the only mods that i have.

1 of your mates blowing his engine doesnt really mean much at all though, does it. its not really an indication of the capability or strength of the engine, but probably more an indication of his lack of experience/knowledge! anyone can blow any motor even an rb25 *pulls wastegate hose off. your inference seems to be that sr20's are a grenade just waiting to blow up, which is far from it.. also keep in mind, the s15 has a lower weight which means it needs less power to match the power to weight ratio of the skyline. also your power figure seems very 'happy'

as for the turbo blowing im quite surprised.. s15's all run steel wheeled compressor and turbine wheels, where as the rb25 of the r34's (afaik) are the ones with the weak ceramic wheels that blow with too much boost. the other explanation for its death would be a rock through the intake or oil starvation, which could happen to any turbo car that isnt cared for.

but i do agree that the best thing for this person to do is to drive both cars and buy whatever HE likes :closedeyes:

Edited by mokompri