SAU Community

The Rb26dett V Barra I6t ?

ish

Hey ... I am in the process of purchasing another FI car soon and thought i would throw this up!

its a toss up between a another GTR or one of these ford XR6t's.

i am interested mainly in development scope of both the RB26dett Vs the Barra i6t.

I am well aware of the ford barra i6t obvious on paper advantages of larger CC , its VCT and much later design but wondering if it Compares in scope (design ,efficiency, quality , longjebady, enhancements available to the RB26dett)

Anyone ever had the chance to own/use both under similar circumstances ie dyno runs with simular turbos on each engine etc and form any opinions?

:D

I have had

RB25

RB26

RB30

RB30 hybrid 26 head

interesting wiki has a bit of a comparision going on

Barra 270T

This is the most powerful I6 ever produced by Ford. Going by the officially stated specifications, it is possibly tied as the most powerful stock production I6 in the world (compared to the 360 HP M54 found in the 1400-unit limited production BMW E46 M3 CSL), since the Japanese high-power turbocharged I6's are by historical convention typically given artificially low specifications on paper (usually no more than 280hp). Going by empirically measured performance, the 4.0L 270T exceeds the ~320hp (239kW) output of most stock 2.6L RB26DETT and 3.0L 2JZ-GTE engines. It also has the highest torque of any Australian built engine. It is found in the BA and BF Falcon F6 Typhoon and Tornado and has been in production from 2004. The increase in power is from a Garrett GT3540 turbocharger.

Power is 270 kW / 362 HP @ 5250 rpm

Torque is 550 Nm @ 2000-4000 rpm

RB30/26 GTR with its high 4.11 gearing is a good match for response and acceleration up and rolling at any speed/any gear to the xr6t with a similiar peak power to weight ratio.

A near perfect package for a street gtr in my opinion is a single gt35r .82 (possibly .5 xr6t comp cover to pick up mid range) bolted on to the side of the rb30/26. Mild cams, good exh. manifold, and you can push close to 400rwkw.

They get off the line very quickly without bogging down + almost a little too much wheelspin with 4000-4500rpm on board. So no massive high rpm boy racer style launches required.

But saying that... You already own a few jap cars.. The XR6T cruiser mildly modified is good fun.

I often go for a bit of a cruise with a buddy who owns one thats making 270rwkw with only a tune and a bit of boost. Its a great package.

Gets up and goes hard without it sounding like one is 'hooning'.

He has owned it for a few years now racked up 80,000kms and has done in. 1 x turbo, 1 x gearbox and 1 x diff. :P

Typical aussy built car. My previous VS 5ltr 5speed went the same way after a few mods with the addition of cracking the rear irs subframe. lol

I can tell you they dont hold together long above 450rwkw no mater how builds them. You also find that their cam control from car to car is a little off due to the fact they press on the sensing teeth to the camshaft with no guid pin or keyway. Also power consistency from car to car once you turn them up is quite poor.

IMO Australian manufacturers can design cars they just cant mass produce cars when compared to japanese manufactuers.

By all accounts the engines do all right.

Shame about the 1800kg car that surrounds them, and the weak as piss drivelines behind them. Does anyone know of a modified turbo falcon that hasn't done a box or diff (or 3)?

I own a 2004 xr6 turbo they are f***n awsome car.

If you do buy one make sure it is a 6 speed auto buil date late 2006 this way u get the fpv engine :P

easy 11's :P

later design but wondering if it Compares in scope (design ,efficiency, quality , longjebady, enhancements available to the RB26dett)

we have a few fleet XR6t's here (none stock :P ) and my next lease will probaly be for one but i would never say it is a later design..... the base design is older with vct tacked on... ever opened one up? if you do you will see just how basic and cheaply built they are.

but for the coin they are great bang for buck and when modded seriously stonk. The only let down is build quality and consistant niggling problems but hey it under lease... you dont pay anyway :P

Edited by URAS

I have heard of a few people going through those turbo's with increases in boost, thought this might have been another one...... obviously not.

WTF?? Dags/paint flakes from where???

Fixxxer?

Their turbo failures are caused by a couple of things..

The oil screen/filter blocks causing the turbo to starve.

The paint flakes and metal dags within the inlet pipe which is a well known problem.

Fords fix was to rip the pipe off and sand blast it. Thats what they did with my buddy's anyway. Just poor build quality.

I own a BF XR6 Turbo at the moment.

Maybe visit www.fordxr6turbo.com for a look at how the engine responds to light and heavy modification (depending on budget obviously), Im a member and there is tonnes of info on how the guys have their T's set up...

My T is moderately stock - and not an impressive handling car to say the least, you dont feel all the power because of the weight it holds - but iv heard an edit (custom tune) makes it a different beast all together...

Cheers.

the xr6t are a grossly undertuned engine from factory to keep them below the v8 power level. they are only running 6psi. with a flashtune, better exhaust and some more boost they become a rather impressive machine indeed. the big thing would be to get 1 from new, and baby it for the first few thousand k's. i think a lot of the problems that there are with the xr6ts is that people are getting them then thrashing them from day 1, and not letting the engine wear in. but then they are a 1700kg car. but if you want to carry friends, or tow, it is the one.

as far as the gtr goes, you have the problem of if something does break, it will probably cost a fair bit more to fix. my mate was quoted under $1000 for a new turbo from ford for his xr6t. but you do get the image that goes with it, and 4wd. but you also get the police attention too.

As has been said before.

An XR6T, whilst no GT-R, will give you bundles of turbo joy without you being hassled by the police.

The really important point is to get a GOOD tune. The Ford ECU is several orders of magnitude more complex & better than anything connected to an RB26. A bad tune will probably leave you with a rod through the side of the block from detonation. Or just less power as the ECU goes into a protection mode.

for the money on mods i don't think theres anything on the market that will compare with the power of XR6T.

I got one thats pushing 338rwkw, all it has is valve spring, injectors, flash tune, full exhaust........it does start to lose power after few runs...desperate for a cooler.