SAU Community

The Rb26dett V Barra I6t ?

ish

for the money on mods i don't think theres anything on the market that will compare with the power of XR6T.

any LS1 or 2 powered commo will do similar times with light mods as well.

ive had the pleasure of owning r33 gtst, driving alot of Gtrs and owning a xr6turbo.

they are really 2 different cars, ones a sedan with highperformance motor, one is a all round sports car.

Aside from the performances of each, the ford is a bigger, more luxiourios and newer car. If you wer to buy a used one, get it from a dealer, and pay the $1000 extra for Ford New car warrantly. My brother recently bought an 04 xr6 turbo ute, within a month, turbo had gone, trans went and diff went. All replaced by Ford Dealerships for brand newies! Hes very happy.

My Xr was a 6 speed manual. big mistake, biggest pos tranny around, noisy, clunky, and impossible to launch. It had 270rwkw and was fast, however the weight gets to u, and doesnt feel as good as it should. However, it draws no attention at all, was comfortable to drive all the time.

Back to the weight issue, definately get one with upgraded brake package. I had standard brakes and they used to shudder and basically fade within a min or 2 when driving in the hills. The car was heavy and very slow. Compared to my current car which is an s15, my s15 was 39 secs quicker along a 4min section of road than my xr6turbo with 270rwkw, and my s15, which then had around 130rwkw. So weight is a huge issue as is brakes.

However in straight lines, the ford was very good, but admitted hard to launch. Get a 4spd auto as they can be edited, however the 6sp cannot. The 6sp is a better tranny though stock for stock.

So basically, if u think the ford will do what the gtr can, ur very wrong, and will regret your purchase. If u want a cruiser, dont want to create attention, new car, etc etc the ford is the way to go. 260-270rwkw is about normal on a manual xr with ford edit. around 240-250 for an auto. The autos with this much power can do mid to high 12s.

After that, you need to do Valvesprings, Injectors, Intercooler, and perhaps fuel pump. Then your lookin at 300+ and low 12s at least.

Hope this info was helpful. Just sharing what my experiences have been.

I also wonder how a meaningful post would contribute to the thread.

Good experiences shared by Enrico, I'd go on his word.

Well...

The reason I mentioned the RB30DETT was in response to this:

Capacity is king, go for the biggest motor you can.

I should've been more specific...

I can see how capacity may be a major factor, but surely quality of build, quality of mods, response balance and revs would all equate to one engine being superior to the other.... I it isn't like Nissan DON'T know what they were doing when they made the RB's... I've driven cars with simular motors, I've driven my mates non-turbo BA mkII Xr6... I myself have been driving a VL Commodore for over a year, and I will concur that s stock non-turbo Rb30E and a pos engine... Nothing compared to its true Nissan counter-parts... Funny enough, my dad has a Datsun 260Z, with an L26 engine... IIRC it has 150BHP but for some reason, it felt far quicker than it probably was... I will say, driving my mate's Falcon was awesome, and even in non-turbo form there is a fair bit of go there. However, after driving the Datsun around a fair bit, I can see WHY Nissan got to the stage were they were making one of the best inline six motors of our time, even the L26 Engine was bloody fantastic....

In reference the the Rb30DET/DETT however, I just wonder that if you have an inline 4.0 6 cyl Turbo and an RB inline six DET/DETT, would the extra 500cc-400cc with the RB30 be of any benefit for pre-spool torque than say the RB25 or RB26??? Even with the RB30, Nissan engine looses out to the Ford by a litre...

I reckon Blitz (I think its him with the GTR and 2.8 rb26??) will agree that an RB26 with a 2.8l stroker kit will still pull harder off the line and beat an xr6t around any bends for all that 400m of straight road matters.

Listen to enrico palazzo hes had good experience with all nissan RB's and the xr6T, even I heard without even driving a xr6t that ford recalled ALOT of them due to poor transmission performance...

Marco,

When you consider the Skyline weighs less, has shorter diff gears and the RB30DET rev's harder it evens its self out fairly well.

However off idle acceleration the 4ltr turbo still has it over the rb30det running a gt35r .82. But by much less than you'd think.

Up and rolling.. The 2 cars making the same power but one weighing a 2-3 hundred kg's less (gts4) the skyline runs away like the ford is standing still. Thats to be expected, power to weight comes in to play.

Now throw a smaller turbo on the 3ltr so that it spools earlier making 200-210rwkw and it walks all over the 270kw XR6T, off idle, up and rolling its close. Now compare the rb30det 200-210rwkw against an rb25 making the same power, off idle and up and rolling in gear acceleration there simply no competition. Some of you rb25 blokes might not like that but until you've sat side by side with an rb30det making the same power you can't comment. The greater mid range power makes a MASSIVE difference to off idle and in gear acceleration. :)

Thats my experience anyway. No speculation of any sort.

I reckon Blitz (I think its him with the GTR and 2.8 rb26??) will agree that an RB26 with a 2.8l stroker kit will still pull harder off the line and beat an xr6t around any bends for all that 400m of straight road matters.

It will because its 4wd. Drop it in rwd and see how it performs off idle etc.. Thats essentially what I believe Marco is attempting to compare. All round average performance of the 'package' without high rpm boy racer launches.

A little off topic but myself.. I'm interested in all round performance; corner exit acceleration, in gear rolling acceleration etc.

From what I've observed (both driving and driving with) a lot of the big turbo'd small cubic capacity motors tend to not get up and go in the lower gears. They beg you to click third and hold it down... Which becomes a little tiring when its a daily and definitely not good for your license.

Now throw a smaller turbo on the 3ltr so that it spools earlier making 200-210rwkw and it walks all over the 270kw XR6T, off idle, up and rolling its close. Now compare the rb30det 200-210rwkw against an rb25 making the same power, off idle and up and rolling in gear acceleration there simply no competition. Some of you rb25 blokes might not like that but until you've sat side by side with an rb30det making the same power you can't comment. The greater mid range power makes a MASSIVE difference to off idle and in gear acceleration. ;)

No need to preach to the converted - there is no replacement for displacement :) Just convince the RB20 people that the same thing applies to them when in comparison to an RB25, to an even bigger degree :) I'm happy with a 2.5 in the meantime, because just because a monster can beat it - doesn't mean it ain't quick.

When you consider the Skyline weighs less, has shorter diff gears and the RB30DET rev's harder it evens its self out fairly well. However off idle acceleration the 4ltr turbo still has it over the rb30det running a gt35r .82. But by much less than you'd think.

Up and rolling.. The 2 cars making the same power but one weighing a 2-3 hundred kg's less (gts4) the skyline runs away like the ford is standing still. Thats to be expected, power to weight comes in to play.

Now throw a smaller turbo on the 3ltr so that it spools earlier making 200-210rwkw and it walks all over the 270kw XR6T, off idle, up and rolling its close. Now compare the rb30det 200-210rwkw against an rb25 making the same power, off idle and up and rolling in gear acceleration there simply no competition. Some of you rb25 blokes might not like that but until you've sat side by side with an rb30det making the same power you can't comment. The greater mid range power makes a MASSIVE difference to off idle and in gear acceleration. :)

It will because its 4wd. Drop it in rwd and see how it performs off idle etc.. Thats essentially what I believe Marco is attempting to compare. All round average performance of the 'package' without high rpm boy racer launches.

A little off topic but myself.. I'm interested in all round performance; corner exit acceleration, in gear rolling acceleration etc. From what I've observed (both driving and driving with) a lot of the big turbo'd small cubic capacity motors tend to not get up and go in the lower gears. They beg you to click third and hold it down... Which becomes a little tiring when its a daily and definitely not good for your license.

I agree with what your saying, but what I was thinking is that 4wd, a large portion of the Skyline's weight advantage is negated, but something I didn't (and should've) considered was the massive gain in grip and power to ground traction.... I myself have an Rb25DET NEO in my GTT, and yes it is a great motor, but you can tell it is just dieing from some down low grunt... I've got an RB30E in my VL that I'd like to pull out, strip down and rebuild (with forged components), however, I'm at a loss of whether to go for an RB26 head or RB25 head... I can see the merit in going to an RB30DET/DETT... I just need to do it right...

I like your comparisons from stop-starts, and rolling acceleration... it is something a lot of people fail to consider, and a well balanced, well built and well tuned engine/vehicle will be a good all-round performer..