SAU Community

Hey fellas,

Before I start, please note that this is not a stupid NA versus Turbo thread.

My brother is getting his P's in a couple of weeks (well, hopefully he'll pass etc.), and he, like me thousands of others, totally loves Skylines, so he has decided to invest his savings on a NA Skyline. I loves the R33 most so he might get that one.

Anyways, was just wondering if he goes NA now and then decides 3-5 years down the trek that he then wants to turbo his NA, would how would the performance, durability, reliability and mechanics of this be?

I have had mixed views on the above; some say, the NA-spec Skyline was built as a NA and when you turbo it, it will not respond as well as stock turbo(ed) Skyline. Some say it's fine.

Some testimonies from people that have turbo(ed) their Skylines would be much appreciated as my brother will definitely be turobing his Skyline when he is off his P's.

Thanks all,

hmm.dont bother,3 years is a long time to wait for a turbo,my guess will be,he wont have the same car in 3 years,just buy a cheap car ,then by a 32,33,34 in 3 years time,give or take(if he losses his licence along the way)

i would trade it munksta, on a turbo .... to many subtle factory differences that you chase trying to bring a NA up to tolerence.... MISOGF

EDIT: better off doing a 25DET transplant, that said the turbo motors are starting to get old & tired - everyone i see is up for rebuilds anyway.

so it's probably a time better spent on bringing up other components up to scratch.

- rebuild some big brembos

- organize the suspension

- possibly start building a better motor than the stock rb25, twin cam 30?, v8?

- keep in mind that the motors are over a decade old now and getting tired - in another 3 years time everyone will be driving around on rebuilt bottom ends.

that said - what does he want to do with the car? no point even considering about it if he just wants to go to and from the shops.

your a funny guy Eug. :P

oops i forgot to add something in the first line.

*that he'd be better off doing a transplant RB25DET - rather than to do an RB25DE+T

i personally wouldn't take advice from anyone on this matter unelss they have gone thru the process themselves, I've turboed the RB20 in my cefiro,

the nissan engines are a strong build there aren't that many factory differences i say just do it...

that said don't bother about it now, you're talking 3 years down the track, just enjoy life while you can, but that said, there is the possibility of just doing an engine swap... or even upgrading to a factory turbo, they are easier but if you want rewarding you can't go past the DIY route!

The R33 is available with AWD in the NA GTS4 version.

Just do the usual NA mods and enjoy the AWD till time comes to trade for a GTR which should be about $15K way prices are going in three years time.

Read the sticky na to turbo thread. Most people who have done it seem to say it is an excellent responsive motor, but a lot of hassles and extremely expensive.

Your brother should buy an NA skyline now regardless (he could buy mine :thumbsup:), as they are excellent cars to start with. Then he has the option down the track if he wants it, or can buy a newer turbo car.

Thanks fellas, many good and informative suggestions.

Knowing my brother (kinda like me) he'll get attached to his ride and then he'll want to keep it and make it better etc.

So if he does want to turbo his R33 GTS in a couple of years - how much (including labour etc) do you think an exercise would cost?

I told him to expect around $10k for the package from A - Z, sound right?

I mean, I see your point, spend another $5k and get a new turbo one - but again, he's all mouchey and stuff.... LOL

Again, many thanks fellas - you've been a great help!

Hope to meet you all one day!

i'd say it would be cheaper to sell it down the track and get a turbo car. it isn't just the engine that is different. the turbo comes standard with an LSD, which is only an option on the NA, brakes, etc. so by the time you get a NA up to par with a turbo you could've bought a turbo car and kept the NA as well.

well if your brother is like me and gets attached to his ride

(there are very few cefiros in wa now so to have one that's RB20de+T is very unique)

I dunno how much labour costs but it's not that hard to do it yourself!

I've outlayed about 1grand, give or take... actually, quick cost breakdown for you!

this is for me you won't have the exact same experience as I've had cos I have got a lot of help from friends etc... FANTASTIC friends at that!

turbo parts for RB20 - $300

Injectors for RB20DET-$50

Highflowing/recon of the injectors $120

new spark plugs $120 or something like that

hose work done by Enzed - $240 (water feed lines from heater and oil lines etc)

Stainless Manifold + Dump -$350

Labour - free cos I've done it myself, I'm not a mechanic I just get in there n DO IT

there is a few extras on top of that but they're insignificant... such as R34 SMIC upgrade etc...

soooooooooo all up... $1 180 approx...

but I'll have to Re-flash my cefiro ECU still, get a dyno tune, few extra things like fuel pump etc

but I've saved a LOT of money on labour cost by DIY...

...basically, if you're not doing it yourself, then ti would be wiser to get an RB25det and recon it... might work out being cheaper than paying someone to turbo a DE... plus yeah... I mean there are many avenues of doing these things!

but saying that the RB25 is getting old... I mean come on... Nissans are bulletproof! don't be so daft... it's cheap oldschool power of a turbo'd eclectic simple engine!

and yeah... good luck! just don't worry about this bridge until you cross it... that's all I can tell you

• 2 weeks later...

The way I see it (because I would like to turbo an NA 25 too) is that there may be significant benefits in going Hi comp Turbo. Hi comp turbo means more power, better torque, better responce. This is just a thought. Can anyone confirm?

The way I see it (because I would like to turbo an NA 25 too) is that there may be significant benefits in going Hi comp Turbo. Hi comp turbo means more power, better torque, better responce. This is just a thought. Can anyone confirm?

it'll will have more torque due to the high compression

will be more responsive

less laggy

however due to the high compression, you won't be able to run much boost = less peak power.

well, this is always the assumption, but has anyone really tried upping the boost on the DE+T???

i wouldn't personally cos i'm not really after too big power output myself...

...but i can honestly my RB20DE+T is the shit.... i'm very very very very impressed with it, and the fact it's been a DIY thing...

the response is great, it's got a torquier growl to it than my friends R33 rb25det, and it's just sweet in general...

BUT as far as upping the boost goes, i heard from my brother some guy he was talking to has an rb20de+T, is running stainless manofolds (same as me, but mine are better) and he has an ebay 25/30 setup, with boost up to 12 psi and he's running for 20xxx kms hard now and hasd no trouble!

i really do think that being this is such unchartered waters and being so touch n go / process of elimination is that everyone's just scared to try new things, could you imagine how worried the people who did the first rb30det conversion were??

i'd be scared too though, all that work, down the drain, sure, you can pick up a new engine cheap... but there's no better feeling than knowing you've done it by yourself

it's all in the tune... if you get that right then most engine combos will last for a while.

finding someone that can tune well... that's another story.

it'll will have more torque due to the high compression

will be more responsive

less laggy

however due to the high compression, you won't be able to run much boost = less peak power.

I mean a stock RB25DET vs. a stock RB25DE+T. I think it would be a much more enjoyable drive than an RB25DET. Pound for pound, stock Vs stock, Hi comp turbo is the way to go.

Honestly.. its just still dreaming now.. but its honestly worth thinking about!

If you think about it.. Whats an RB25DET worth? 2K? 2.5K with CVT? For that, you could very easily turbo ur 25DE with much better results! (thats if you do it DIY). With the money you have left over you might even be able to pick up a few more goodies!