SAU Community

King Vs Whiteline Springs

I've had enough of my apexi springs (yours for $200 if you want them, great for drifting).

I'm deciding between whiteline or king springs (lows) as a replacement. I'll be using them with my existing bilstein shocks.

I realise the kings are progressive whereas the whiteline are linear on the front.

Anyway, I just want to know the rates of each spring, front and rear?

Also if you have an opinion on which is better, feel free to post it here.

Thanks

Greg

If I remember correctly, Gary (SK) said the front Whiteline spring is 165lb/in (2.92kg/mm) and the King spring is ~175lb/in (3.1kg/mm).

Dont know about rears though.

I'd say the Whiteline one is the better spring though as it's cold wound compared to the hot wound King Spring.

Edited by salad

Guys,

I've got coilovers on my 180sx which I find sometimes a bit too harsh for Sydney streets. Would it be possible for me to swap out the current springs for springs with softer spring rates?

Thanks,

Andrew

Yes, you can swap them.

Any of the major spring manufacturers will be able to supply replacements as they are likely a 65ID spring so very common.

You will need to take into consideration your current spring rates, front and rear weight and range of adjustablility when getting springs with lower rates, particularly if your coil overs dont have base height adjustment, or if you already have the spring seat up near the top of the thread, as the weight of the car will compress them further, so you will need to either get a longer spring, or wind the spring seat up a bit more (if you have enough adjustment).

Scandew: Get a tape measure out and measure the ID. If you cant get in there to do that, measure the OD and then subtract the wire diametre twice. Find the wire diameter by sliding open ended spanners over the top till you find the right one. Does look like it'd be something around 60-65mm ID though as that's the norm for rectangular coils.

R DITRY 3: I've seen SK say a few times that they are cold wound. I know just going by what people say on the internet isn't the smartest thing, but I think SK has a fair idea about all the Whiteline stuff.

Edited by salad

The Whiteline R32/33/34 springs are definitely cold wound on a hydraulic, computer controlled coil winder (the same as Eibach, Jamex, H&R, Bilstein etc). This gives a superior/more consistent result than hot wound coils. I chose the Whiteline springs for the Group Buy because of this quality/consistency, plus they had rates that better suited the rest of the kit. The R32/33/34 front springs are linear and the rear springs are progressive, like the Kings variety, they are progressive to keep the coils trapped at full droop.

For the record, a linear front spring is far superior in driver feel than a progressive, which gives differing results depending on weight transfer and therefore inconsistent steering feedback. I wouldn't use a true progressive spring in the front of a Skyline.

:rofl: cheers :laugh: