SAU Community

OK, here's the deal.

My car has got an after market clutch in it as well as a 2 way diff (if this matters?).

The clutch doesn't slip at all. Spinning 1st gear is easy, and chirps into second - even with the 2 way diff and 901's :P And I've never smelt any clutch slipage..

Here's the problem:

Sitting still, clutch out, and out of gear there is a slight whirling sound from the gearbox. Press the clutch a little and the sound goes away.

If taking off from standstill going up hill, when I let the clutch out it makes a gruunch noise. Not like gears crunching, or metal on metal sound, but a gruunch noise..... This also sometimes happens when you take off from a standstill and you've got a fair bit of turn on the steering wheel (this causes a bit of load on the motor cause of the 2 way diff).

Then today, when I took off and had a fair bit of turn on the wheel, I got a loud ticking noise from the clutch which stopped as soon as the clutch was all the way out - I've tried to get it to happen again, but haven't been able too.... Probably a good thing :(

Sooooo, what do you guys reckon? Thrust bearing???

J

(Sorry for the short novel above :P )

Originally posted by Jay95R33

Sitting still, clutch out, and out of gear there is a slight whirling sound from the gearbox.  Press the clutch a little and the sound goes away.

I reckon my car does exactly this, and I've seen in prior threads that it is probably the thrust bearing. I've had it for at least 12 months with no problem.

Originally posted by Duncan

I reckon my car does exactly this, and I've seen in prior threads that it is probably the thrust bearing.  I've had it for at least 12 months with no problem.

Ahhh, cool.. One thing that is a little disconcerning is the gruuuunchh sound when I ride the clutch a little.. Sort of scared to do it sometimes......

It's worse now compared to when I got the car - that was 2 years ago..

J

You dont want your thrust bearing going to pieces man, that might cause some issues... Mine got noisy, so I replaced the clutch and the thrust bearing at the same time... its not really that hard of a job, but you need some strong blokes and a car hoist or pit.

Cheers

Sumo

Having a similar problem when I reverse some times...

getting a whiring noise while the clutch is half way out...

put it all the way out, or back in, and it goes away...

totally random for over 3 years...no problems

how much are thrust bearings ?

and is it something that is good to get done when the clutch is out anyway ?

I can hear a whirring noise when the clutch is out and standing still too. I asked my mechanic about it 9 months ago and he said it was just the gearbox turning over or maybe a bad thrust bearing - had no problems to date. He also said that if it was a bearing wait until its fully flogged out before replacing it.

Yeah my 200SX has the same noise. A whirring sound at standstill and foot off the clutch. Spins down to nothing when u hit the clutch. Also its audiable when ur drivin too! My clutch is almost gone so i'll replace both in 1 go. At first i thought it might have been the input shaft bearing, but im pretty convinced its not!

ive replaced mine recently, and i put some $35 oil in it.. forget which one... now it makes a kinda breathing noise... sounds sick... i know its just the oil tho

i miss the redline oil

jayson ur grinding noise sounds like a spiggot bush

Thanks Sumo - I figure I drive it every day without a problem...I may as well take care of it and wait till I do the clutch some day...

I'm also thinking about doing a lighter flywheel as so many of you have suggested...while the car is pulled open in that area...

Originally posted by Busky2k

Yeah my 200SX has the same noise. A whirring sound at standstill and foot off the clutch. Spins down to nothing when u hit the clutch. Also its audiable when ur drivin too! My clutch is almost gone so i'll replace both in 1 go. At first i thought it might have been the input shaft bearing, but im pretty convinced its not!

Heyyyy my S14 does the same thing too. Apparently it got noisier after I replaced the clutch to a daikin exedy. My mechanic says that the clutch comes with the thrust bearing. So is it the thrust bearing of the gearbox bearing. It's annoying!

hey guy's my 32 gts-t does the same thing. I have the stock diff and it isn't locked, although i got an apexi clutch.

I wasn't sure on what this noise is so i checked with my mates car which has the stock clutch and his does it too but its not as noisy.

most of the time its the thrust bearing.but if u change it and the noise is still there its the input main shaft bearing.have seen many 31's and 32's do it.mate just had his changed for $400.this was after he fitted new button clutch and thrust bearing.

The sound seems to come from behind the engine block near the centre console. Press the clutch and you can hear it spinning down slowly...pop it up and it whirrs back up again. It's annoying.

So the thrust bearing is or isnt part of the gearbox? I would replace it when i get my stock clutch changed (almost gone). But im not willing to pay to get the gearbox pulled apart to get it fixed.. I can live with the noise. Sorta sounds like a dog box when u drive hehe