SAU Community

Tyre Blowout

Well i went for bit of as cruise today out of town to Rotorua, and on the way home i had one of my rear tyres blow out! Pretty scary as i was on the open road doing 100km/h. When i eventually got the car in a straight line to stop i inspected the tyre, i saw the WHOLE inside wall had blown out from the rest of the tyre!!!

The tyres were bout 6months old and had a fair amount of tread, anyone got any ideas as to what would cause this? The tyres are Nankang NS2 225/35/19.

what size wheels

if its a 9...id say that you had an improper alignment, which irregularly wore one strip of the tire, where it blew out and separated

ive seen it happen before

if its like a 7 wide, id say bad luck

but if you hvae a streatched tire and improper alignment, it is unsafe

Wheels are 8" wide. Had a wheel alignment not to long ago (maybe a 2 - 3 months), nothing wrong. Also the tread looks fine on the inside, just a little bit more wear than the outside

with a 225/35 on an 8

its like a smalllll stretch

how much camber were you running?

it sounds like your rear toe was out, and cause it

but regardless

glad your ok!

I'd have to find the alignment sheet to tell ya that one. I'm gonna go back to the shop which does do my wheels and aligning and see whats the happs. Waste of $280 really. I might change to a 235

Has the tyre been slightly under inflated recently. Being just a couple of PSI down on a low profile tyre will chop out the internal side walls very quickly due to the constant flexing and squashing.

Check the inside of the other sidewall when you get it off to see if it has any rubber flaking off it

225/35/19 i would keep that size tyre at least 35 psi

Has the tyre been slightly under inflated recently. Being just a couple of PSI down on a low profile tyre will chop out the internal side walls very quickly due to the constant flexing and squashing.

Check the inside of the other sidewall when you get it off to see if it has any rubber flaking off it

225/35/19 i would keep that size tyre at least 35 psi

id reccomend 38-40 personally becuase it has a stretch on it

Join the club mate, I had the exact same thing happen to me, except I had a trailer full of furniture on the back. It's because of the camber on the rear wheels, it wears the tyres unevenly. If you've lowered it get adjustable camber arms, otherwise a camber kit can fix it.

and dont forget, when you lower it, it also messes up the toe

horribly

camber wont wear tires

i ran my car (the 180) with almost 4 * of negative camber for 6 or 7 months with no irregular tire wear

the Toe is drastically effected by the height of the car on the nissans rear setup.

Both Humble & l have blown rear tyres exactly the same way ... and the same shitty tyre brand too.

According to my guy at tyre centre its more to do with the tyre's than camber or toe. They're just cheap tyre's that are known to blow quickly.

horribly

camber wont wear tires

i ran my car (the 180) with almost 4 * of negative camber for 6 or 7 months with no irregular tire wear

the Toe is drastically effected by the height of the car on the nissans rear setup.

i know guys that have ran -5 to -8* of camber on their rear wheels on large VIP sedans...and no irregular tire wear after a year.....

Without getting into the argument of camber and tyre wear, the above qoute is correct. I went from -2deg camber to +2deg when I installed a double camber kit. (theory was that each single kit added only 0.75 deg camber) At the same time the toe went from -1deg to +10deg. The car was downright dangerous to drive, especially when you hooked into a corner and the weight transferred to the outside wheel - which was trying to steer the rear of the car around to the front.

The problem comes from the toe adjuster arm which sits in the lower/middle part of the suspension control arms. The camber kit pushes the top of the tyre out, so the toe adjuster arm effectively pulls the rear of the tyre in.

Still, I cant see how this would cause a tyre to blow. Tyres can wear through to the first belt without too many worries.

Plus, I always run 40psi..just my 2 cents worth

Camber_angle.jpg

How can you say that WON'T cause irregular wear?

Your tyre spends 80% of it's life running on one corner.

you have to understand

a normal tire lasts what 40,000 Miles? so thats almost 70,000 KM i think (i dont know the conversion off hand)

If after 10,000 miles there is no uneven wear, its normal

it would take 15-17,000 to show heavy uneven wear on a hard compound tire

ill show you, i am ordering my airride friday, and ill keep a report with huge amounts of camber and tires wear