SAU Community

A Problem Of The Skyline?

GTS4WD

The GTR has always and will always own anything the euros throw @ us :D

it will be no different with the new GTR

i eat porches and ferraris for brekky, lunch and dinner :)

No offence, but this is such a dumb thing to say. Some people get so totally caught up with one make of car they can't see the forest for the trees.

Let's take porsche for instance. The car is aimed at beating the 997 911 Turbo right, from what I have read the power will be close however the torque will be about 100nm shy. I think the GTR will close the gap to the Turbo however I'm certainly not going to go out on a lim and say it will beat the Turbo.

If you compare it to the GT3 I imagine the straight line speed will be line ball, from then on I imagine the GT3 will take the honours in every respect. I will be extremely surprised if this is not the case.

In the case of BMW, I personally think it will be very close between the GTR and the M6.

If it is able to keep with the Audi R8 then it IS an absolute monster given the potential the R8 has shown on the track.

The AMG Merc's these days are improving in most areas of their performance. No longer are they just a big engine in a medium sized car. They now have both feel and dynamics to go with the power. I will be surprised if the GTR beats the current AMG offerring.

Bottom line, the cars coming out of Europe are pretty special. The GTR will be doing very well if it keeps up and will be a total surprise to me if it constantly beats the competition.

Cheers

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hows that a dumb thing to say??? in the past gtrs, they have owned everything thrown @ them... what makes u think it will be so different this time??

as far as anyone knows.. u dont even know what engine it will be carrying. u have no idea what the power will be or the torque... those figures u see r just estimates from everyone else but nissan.

Nissan have kept a closed lid on this car and all these figures r just rumours... u never know... the car might actually make 600hp when it comes out

u dont know, i dont know.. so dont say ppls opinions based on past cars r dumb.

plus.. ill own any offering from amg with my current gtr :yes: kthxbai

Well...the GTR's of past have always been monsters but remember they were never cheap...and now they are an absolute bargain because you can buy them second-hand for a fraction of the original cost then throw a lot of money at them and they will eat euro stuff...but if you think of it as buying a brand-new GTR and aligning it with the top euro sports cars...then adding the cost of mods to get them on par, well that bridges the affordability gap somewhat...

If you compare a non-modified "basic" GTR with the euro equivalents (performance alone), then there is simply no comparison. The only GTR's i think that do close the gap are the "special" models like the M-spec nur, the N1 etc which i think are worth over 200k (correct me if that's wrong-haven't seen the figures for a while)..suddenly they are getting close in terms of bang-for-buck then it's a matter of preference.

Bottom line is, if i had the money, I wouldn't throw half a mil on a GTR, I'd buy a techart modified porsche or a hamann modified M3...but when you don't have the money, you can spend a lot less by buying a GTR and modding it to attain similar thrills.

The GTR has established itself as that imo, a bargain supercar but it will never have the same pedigree as the euro equivalents. Maybe the new one is going to bridge that gap? Previous GTR's have proven that the japanese are more than able to produce an automotive monster, now they need to work on the image...now THAT is the hard part.

And honestly, the new GTR will NOT have 600 HP, coz JUN, HKS and the like need to make money, so nissan needs to keep the power down a little so people who buy GTR's then run down the road to the tuners to pump in some more muscle lol

Ok, I stop here before I go way off track.

Cheers

Oh and one more thing...when you say you eat porsches and ferraris for dinner or brkfst or whatever...I am pretty sure you don't mean a carrera GT or an Enzo.

The exotics may cost a lot more, but the fact they can sell those cars for those prices and get away with it says a lot in itself. Try and sell a 600HP GTR for 300k and as it was said on the previous page...well, people will laugh. It happened with the honda nsx, the same would happen with the GTR.

People compare cars on price, but if you're gonna be a purist about it, then leave the costs aside and pick a car. Somehow I still doubt it'll be a GTR.

Don't get me wrong, I love them to bits R32-34 and probably the 2008 model when it is released but I have to be honest and say it is not my DREAM car.

I am not sure how many skyline enthusiasts on this forum can actually say that a brand-new GTR is their dream car. And think of it as a gift with ALL maintenance costs paid for for life.

Would be interesting actually ^^. Anyone wanna start a poll?

I just had to add something because of the highly biased POV. I am definitely with Smurf on this one. Don't give exotics the boot, because the way they are built and designed will not be equalled by the japs for some time and speed is NOT everything when it comes to driving. Passion and precision are there. Beauty is still missing.

And on this bombshell, ladies and gentlemen.... blah blah blah

Cheers

i meant carerra gt and enzos.. u do realise the enzo is a 11sec car yes??? not very impressive for a 500k car at all really... and as for a "basic" gtr not being on par with its equivilents.. im sure a 12sec car from factory is on par with what was available from back then.

As for dream cars.. certainly not a gtr.. but not eurotrash either.. id rather have a 69' mustang that doesnt handle, doesnt brake, and doesnt have anymore poke than my modded civic, but damn they have the looks and that sweet sweet sound

hows that a dumb thing to say??? in the past gtrs, they have owned everything thrown @ them... what makes u think it will be so different this time??

as far as anyone knows.. u dont even know what engine it will be carrying. u have no idea what the power will be or the torque... those figures u see r just estimates from everyone else but nissan.

Nissan have kept a closed lid on this car and all these figures r just rumours... u never know... the car might actually make 600hp when it comes out

u dont know, i dont know.. so dont say ppls opinions based on past cars r dumb.

plus.. ill own any offering from amg with my current gtr :) kthxbai

i meant carerra gt and enzos.. u do realise the enzo is a 11sec car yes??? not very impressive for a 500k car at all really... and as for a "basic" gtr not being on par with its equivilents.. im sure a 12sec car from factory is on par with what was available from back then.

As for dream cars.. certainly not a gtr.. but not eurotrash either.. id rather have a 69' mustang that doesnt handle, doesnt brake, and doesnt have anymore poke than my modded civic, but damn they have the looks and that sweet sweet sound

forgot to add that when the r32 was realised it, it had a rather large price tag... over 150k... and they were sold out, before they hit the showroom floors

;)

It was a dumb thing to say, well maybe not dumb just not intellegent.

Lets just make a few things clear here. When you say that GTR's have owned everything in the past, are you saying:

1. They have owned all cars under a certain asking price in standard trim? OR

2. Once the GTR's are modded they own all standard cars or modded cars???

You do realise that many of the jurnos from magazines such as Evo, you know the people who drive all of these cars, call the standard 911 the leading sports car. Well that was until recently when the Audi R8 supposedly stole the crown.

You're right I don't know what the new GTR will be sporting however based on rumour and rumour alone I would be surprised if new GTR kicks every competitors but. I would like to see it however given the amount of experience the Euros have I'm not sure Nissan is going to trump them.

When you say that the Enzo and Carrara GT's are not fast for the money you a right but also partly miss the point. Ferrari and Porsche could easily make faster cars, hell they don't even have forced induction. They build fast road cars that come at a price to ensure profits and exclusivity. These cars are more than just a quarter mile time on wheels.

I didn't think that all the Australian R32 GTR's sold that quickly. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought many were left sitting on the showroom floors. Could be wrong on that one.

In relation to you beating anything AMG produce then you must have an absolute weapon on your hands. You do realise that you are comparing an aftermarket modification to something you get off the showroom floor. I bet you some of the modded AMG's that come with 6.3 ltr V8's as standard would like you to take you up on your offer. You do realise that AMG produce a twin turbo (v12 from memory) that comes with 1,000 nm as standard. I'm sure the modders in Germany would love to give your GTR a run.

Edited by Smurf

im sure they would too :whistling:

but if ur gonna go into that then u might as well compare best with best.. and gtr holds all records ;)

gtrs sold b4 they hit the floors here. and yes i meant the gtr beat everything it was put up against within its price range and type of car... it owned the 911 from back then, and almost all the ferraris cept i think the F40?? (that is a weapon in its own right...)

power is nothing.. the reason by grp a racin all over the world was banned was because the gtr beat everything on the track. including ur beloved AMG cars and anything porsche or ferrari built.

The R32 was a race car which made its way to the road. Future gtrs have proven to be much less than expected, but the R34 sorta revived its name and nissan is hoping to make a new name for itself with the new gtr.

As for my car.. weapon??? not really.. just has more then enough power and traction to hold its own against almost anything that it crosses.

Dont forget the r32's origins.. race car with plates.. btw i do like the 911 turbo.. awesome car to drive, with immense torque and power.. but its not wild and doesnt give me the thrill of an untamed r32 gtr

The R32 was a race car which made its way to the road. Future gtrs have proven to be much less than expected, but the R34 sorta revived its name and nissan is hoping to make a new name for itself with the new gtr.

I agree with you here. When it was released it was the quickest thing in it's price bracket though over time I believe the GTR has fallen into the grasps of the competition. To back this statement up, I don't know whether you have seen the Skyline Prodogy Best Motoring video. In it there is a race between the R32, 33, 34 GTR's as well as a R35 skyline. I addition they race the latest Evo and WRX STi. It is clear from this video that the R34 was the only one that stood a chance and was actually holding up the EVO and WRX. Also these are cars that cost well below that of the GTR. This is of course stock for stock and they guy with the biggest wallet will win the modded contest.

Lets hope the next GTR is all that we expect and a little more.

Cheers

Edited by Smurf

yer i seen that vid... coulda done better myself ;)

evos are great cars... my mate has one.. doesnt come near mine thou.. and mine isnt highly modified or anything like that..

Turn the electric bullshit off and we'll see who has the better track car :P

Im with u, I hope the next GTR is everything we hope it to be and more :whistling:

I partly take back my previous comments about the new GTR being unable to keep up with the current 997 911 turbo due to a lack of torque. Simply put I doubt Nissan would release the car until it could keep up given that they have made it clear that the 911 turbo is their benchmark and that they have been testing them back to back at the nurburgring. To release something that is inferior after all these claims and time would be diabolical (spelling? I have never written diabolical before)

• 3 weeks later...

70-80k is what im hoping for...

gtr achieved what the z's cant, a decent ride for the average man. Guess what, thats where the most sales lie.

32's didnt all cost 150k they cost 100-110k in aus for hte locally delivered model... how much did hte 33r cost ? slight less.. it was the 34's that cost a frign mint and thats what killed them, they were over priced for the market they were in. who would buy a gtr for the price of a 430 or mercialago ?

ranted there is 50k involved in the later but the point is if they sell for 70-80k they would sell.. if it was a "white" import all of a sudden your average joe could afford something real, (insurance, financing etc) hell why buy a 7lt gto when you can get an R ? some would make that choice. I would make that choice.80+ and you would be selling to the 35-40+ crowd and they dont tend to buy majorly hypo jap cars over the euro. forget re-sale, forget insurance, forget the dual personality of the euros, the build quality an finnish... naaa.. i dont think they will.

the price they release here will obviously not be as cheap as they release it in jp, we are used to paying more for things, we seem to expect to pay more for this thing... why shoudnt they mark it up in price for no particularly good reason eh ? (yes i am aware of compliance with aus adr which would effectively cost them all of f**k all relatively).

Edited by gts-4 dreamer

it was the 34's that cost a frign mint and thats what killed them, they were over priced for the market they were in. who would buy a gtr for the price of a 430 or mercialago ?

since when did R34 GTRs cost the same as a F430 or murcielago? we must be living in completely different planets. either of those two italians is about tripple what a 34 GTR was new, and more than 5 times what one costs now.

Why don't we wait for the GT-R to be released before we jump to conclusions. Considering Carlos Ghosn has been repeatedly mentioning the history and purpose of the GT-R brand, it would be plain silly to assume that Nissan is softening up the next GT-R without any concrete evidence.

Heh. Hype about the new skyline...on a skyline forum? Who would have thought? :)

As I'm sure most of you do, I hope that the new GTR is the awesome car that we all want it to be. But until there are some confirmed test results, reviews and evidence to back up what is being said here, its all just speculation.

And honestly, the new GTR will NOT have 600 HP, coz JUN, HKS and the like need to make money, so nissan needs to keep the power down a little so people who buy GTR's then run down the road to the tuners to pump in some more muscle lol

yes i suppose they would want to be staying with the 'gentlemans agreement' of 280hp rite?