SAU Community

Oil Flow Question

tacker

Would i be right in saying that the oil flow in an rb26dett engine follows this direction.

from the sump oil is picked up by the oil pump and pumped out through the oil / water heat exchanger. Then from there out,to the filter housing and from there out to the oil /air coolers and then returned to the filter housing and into the oil galleries to supply the slippery stuff to all those rotation parts.

The reason i ask is that i installed another oil temp guage into the filter housing and iwas wondering if i installed it into the return line from the coolers as i have about 50 degrees of temp difference between the stock guage and the after market item and for the life of me this is the only possible reason my brain could come up with?

not keen on tapping hole in sump though, but your correct it would be best location

Second thought could installit as a sump plug though hmmm

Edited by tacker

don't you want the temp after it's filtered and through the inline cooler - as this is what is protecting all the up and down bits.

once it is run through the engine, it drains to the sump so it's hotter there but it's more important to have the pressurised temp reading.

mine is tapped into the return from the oil cooler (i tihnk)

Yep not sure where the factory guage is installed but would be really surprised if the 2 coolers i have would provide 50 degrees of cooling. I need to check the after market guage with some heated fluid to confirm it is reading right. As the stock temp gauge is nugging 120 ( well i think it is as the mark below the 150 line ) and the after marketone isreading only 80 ish.

• 4 weeks later...
best pickup for oil temp is sump

Bump...............within this temp range.............best way to test pesky temp senders/recievers is ice cubes in water (sustained) ~4deg C (nice low end point) & boiling water ~100deg C (ballpark high end point). At mean sea level. Ifya got all the sensors/reciever loops cooling/cooking at the same time yer onto it.

Cheers

My english'ised comment ?^^?

I'm not so sure about placement either. I would assume post cooler, so you know the temp of the oil going into the motor... but whats the point if its going in at 80c and when it finally hits the cam, crank etc journals, its 150c and breaking down? (I'm sure its unlikely where there are near by water jackets at a constant 90c or what not)

*ponders*

Correct i really am not bothered about what temp the oil goes in at. The only time i will bother with that is if the oil coming out is about 120 odd. At this point i will then look and see what temp the oil is going in at.

I still do not believe that the air to oil coolers can possibly drop the temp down 40 ish degrees, or the fact that i am only just reaching 90 degrees on the the coolant temp while the oil temp is so high it just doesnt make sense to me.

Any one else have some figures to see the difference between the oil and coolant temp? Or had problems with the stock oil temp gauge

URAS,

I cant tell you a brand as it was on the car when i got it. Still located in the original position on the side of the block, and i have removed one of the ellen key grub screws and install the electric temp sender in to this position, hence i am not sure if its measuring the cooled oil returning from the two coolers in series. Or a shitty sender in the first place and why i have such a big diff between the readings on the 2 guages.

Where o where does the original oil temp gauge have its sender located.

only 80 on the track. id say its picking it up from the return of the cooler.

sump is the most acurate but when its flowing 50l a min doesnt really matter. interesting though. what guage is it??

Cheers guys thats what i wanted confirmed.

Now WTF how could i have 40 odd degree diff between 2 gauges that are within inches of each other unless one is one the outlet and the other is on the return side of the filter housing.

Is it possible to get 40 degree of cooling from 2 air to oil coolers mounted in series.

Or is the engine to hot and produce oil temps of 120 - 125 degrees while engine coolant gauges ( 3 of ), 2 show low 90ies and the stock gauge sits mid way on its scale.

what brand gauge?

the reason i asked about the filter mount is the brand would let me know if the port was in the in or out side, if your gauge is a reputable electric brand it should be accurate, it maybe worthwile to swap the two senders around and compare the results. I run my oil temp and pressure off the remote mount and it is very accurate.

Hmm, not so sure as the coolant temp gauge reads the same as the PFC. But good point i will buy some better gauges in Oz next week while i am home and see if that makes any diff next time the car comes out.

Still i could try the old boiling water trick and see how close it is as well