SAU Community

where to buy DEI thermal tape

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rev210..... I specifically said it makes a very good cold air box.

the pipes have a 6mm thick layer of wrapping. The foil/foam from Clark rubber is by comparison pretty rubbishy. If you want the best I guess you have to pay for the best....... and , having seen my turbo glowing orange ....I want the best

Guest robertr

51Jay, are u really 51 yo? if u are, I just want to encourage you for driving a top MV and not listening to the "normal" 50 yo's.

Well done, keep up the good work.

robertr........... Thank you for your kind words,however, Imust confess....I lied about the 51.......I'll be 63 this year. :P

When we get this clutch thing sorted out we have high hopes of breaking into the high 12's

Guest INASNT
Originally posted by 51jay

robertr........... Thank you for your kind words,however, Imust confess....I lied about the 51.......I'll be 63 this year.   :P

When we get this clutch thing sorted out we have high hopes of breaking into the high 12's

damn good on ya, i hope i am like that when i am that age 2!!

Guest robertr

u can feed a lond metel tie in and out of the sheet, say 10mm in from one edge and then it will wrap up well.

Guest robertr

For $240 you can buy a complete DEI Universal Turbo Kit and you get all this.

1 x Heat Screen Aluminised Radiant Matting (30cm x 90cm)

1 x 90mm of 6" wide exhaust wrap

1 x 24" of 2" exhaust wrap

2 x 20" s/steel ties

2 x 14" s/steel ties

What is the whole theory behind wrapping the exhuast? After the waste air has left the turbo isn't it just fed out the back end?

Isn't it more productive to wrap your intercooler piping to keep the air cool that is being fed back into your engine?

Just posturising...

Hotter air is faster air. Hence why you wrap the turbo and dump pipe and why manifolds are often HPC Coated to help reduce lag.

It also keeps the engine bay cooler which is good for everything else :D

and it gets the cat up to operating temp quicker. no that many car enthusiasts care, but if you wanted to get you car emissions tested etc, then it's beneficial. But as Joel pointed out, the main reason to wrap the dump pipe is to keep excess heat out of the engine bay. As Corky Bell points out, the biggest issue with maintaining reliability in turbocharged engines is thermal management, ie, keeping the heat where it's needed, and nowhere else.

Both you wrap the inlet pipe to stop it from adsorbing heat from the engine compartment

you wrap the dump pipe back to the cat to contain the heat in the exhaust 1) hotter exhaust stream means higher velocity airstream past the exhaust wheel of the turbo. 2) helps to stop radiated heat from the dump pipe heating up the engine bay

edit: oops ! Joel has allready said it:D

Guest robertr

funny how u see some people wrapping the inlet all the way, or nearly all the way down under the fender where the airflow would cool it down. now they are keeping the heat IN