SAU Community

Help R33 Hard To Start And Idles High

avalanche

hi i have an r33 turbo that is hard to start when it is cold. I can get it to wind over, but it will not fire unless i hold the throttle open for a good 5 seconds, then it will cough and sneaze with black smoke until it starts and runs. after the car is warm it will start everytime easyily. the car runs perfectly. Has this got something to do with a cold start or something? if so were is it and how can i fix it?

Also when it is running the idle is at a high 1050 rpm. I have tried to lower it buy starting it then, disconnecting the brown acc plug, the winding in the acc idle all the way and reconnection the acc plug. i cant get the idle to run any lower. my ecu doesnt have the idle screw on it like others do. how can i lower it? help me pleaze

thank you

mark

list out your mods, when this began or anything like that so people have some sort of idea

Did it have troubles starting before you wound back the idle screw? 1050 isnt too high, mine is around 1100 warm and around 1500 cold. Also how thick is the oil in your car (eg. 10W40)

Also, black smoke is usually related to fuel so not a huge deal to worry about, probably best to get it checked at a mechanics though

Edited by Baconer

list out your mods, when this began or anything like that so people have some sort of idea

Did it have troubles starting before you wound back the idle screw? 1050 isnt too high, mine is around 1100 warm and around 1500 cold. Also how thick is the oil in your car (eg. 10W40)

Also, black smoke is usually related to fuel so not a huge deal to worry about, probably best to get it checked at a mechanics though

Yes i did have a bit of trouble with starting it before wound it bak but ive put it back to were it was and there is no change.

i Hve GTX 2 in the car.

All the car has that is aftermarket it the exhaust and hks bov.

Is the BOV plumbedback? If not try putting the stock bov back on and see if that changes anything.

Also how thick is the oil, brand doesnt mean much :O

plumback? that like the suck type rite? yer its one of those. i dont have the stock bov with me. i think the oil is 20 w something not quite sure, but wat has oil got to do with it may i add?

Plumback basically means it is 'plumbing' (piping) the pressure build up from the turbo back into the system. The HKS (guessing you have the SSQV) is an atmospheric BOV which is the opposite of plumback, so instead of it keeping the pressure buildup within the system it vents it out making the BOV noise. Atmospheric BOVs cause all sorts of stalling problems and may be part of the cause of your starting problems. Even though they sound pretty dam cool (i always wanted one :O) some people actually say they lower performance because the car has to build up the pressure after each gear change and bov vent. So try changing back to the stock or any other plumback system, can propably even plumback the SSQV so maybe look into that. Should be able to pickup a stock R33 BOV for under $50 on forums, just search around.

As for oil, if it is 20Wsomething then i'd bet some money on it being the cause of the starting problems. Its winter now and the mornings are cold so you add that onto the thick oil and its going to be tough for your car to start and would also explain why the problems disappear when the car is at operating temp. Try changing to some thinner oil (10W40) or even 0W40 and run it in for a while, post back here once you've tested those 2 things out and see how you go. Check out the 'goods on oil' thread for some more info on what oils are good.

i have nearly the same problem... if i take my car on short runs it wont start without pumping the accelerator when tryin to kick it over... i run mobil 1 semi syn 15/40, i have apexi bov on crossover but its not hooked up, i think its on the actulator...

dunno what ever sorts your problem may help me, unless its a different prob

i have nearly the same problem... if i take my car on short runs it wont start without pumping the accelerator when tryin to kick it over... i run mobil 1 semi syn 15/40, i have apexi bov on crossover but its not hooked up, i think its on the actulator...

dunno what ever sorts your problem may help me, unless its a different prob

yer mate im going to do up a diy turorial on the elemination process it took to fix it. it may help u of someone else thanks

ps it was quite easy to fix the air regulator withoout taking it out.