SAU Community

V Power Racing Fuel

subzeroR33

the ethanol is good in a way, as it cleans everything in the engine as it gets passed through. Its almost as good as having water injection except its in the fuel. However because its partially made up by ethanol the fuel isnt as dense and it also burns leaner, so when being tuned it needs to be richened up abit in comparison to normal fuel. By all means you should get a little less economy from a tank because of this. However it does have a higher octane rating, so it sort of works itself out. Think of it like methanol, it burns lean and cold, thats why you need to squirt 2.2 times as much over std fuel. But the octane rating of it is astronomical.

Thats how i see how the ethanol helps, whether its right or not is beyond me.

:D

methanol octane is about 128, ethanlol is about 126. the only down side to a higher octane is that it makes it harder to ignite, that is why you can advance the timing with them.

:D

pretty much sums it up. ethenol reacts with water and moisture.. it can have some side effects.

with the amount of carbon deposits we all have in our engines its prob best u run a tank everyonce in a while..

i hope everyone changes ther fuel filter regularly..?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

V-Power is 98 and V-Power Racing is 100 (also contains 5% ethanol). So at the very least you filled up with 98.

Shell Fuel Finder

sweet, i figured it must be like that and couldn't be bothered...er i mean find that www.shell.com site... :D

haha and what luck, i need to fill my tank tonight!! i might even drive the extra 15 minutes to surfers to try this gear out :D

V-Power is 98 and V-Power Racing is 100 (also contains 5% ethanol). So at the very least you filled up with 98.

Shell Fuel Finder

Thanks for that link SMR33, thats very helpful. :(

Interesting to see the feedback from first time users of the fuel.

At least people know where to get this fuel now.

I'm a little surprised at the price.

I visited Virginia Shell today.

approx prices - Regular Unleaded $1.14, V-Power $1.24, V-Power Racing $1.44

with 5% ethanol I would think that VP Racing shouldn't cost 30c more than regular unleaded.

Other lower octane ethanol based fuels are cheaper.

question for the fuel techs,

would BP 98 or Caltex 98 with an octane booster (ocasional use) be better than the ethanol additive?

Does anyone use octane boosters?

with 5% ethanol I would think that VP Racing shouldn't cost 30c more than regular unleaded.

would BP 98 or Caltex 98 with an octane booster (ocasional use) be better than the ethanol additive?

I put in a octane booster at track days, no more power or anything but it does knock 15 to 20 points off the max knock that I see on the power FC

thats what i meant

the price is set any day during the week now...it does not change with the pump price any more

bloody rip off

Just use BP98 or stick to wotever fuel yer car is tuned with. With octane boosters, only thing is that it screws up the internals of the cat, so it will melt down the internals of the cat and eventually block up the cat, and then u have to replace yer cat.

shell employee signing in

for some reason (i believe it's supply issues, if anyone noticed the 2 week dry spell a month ago) the racing pricechanges dont come through with the other fuels anymore

at the moment it's sitting at about 145, and hasn't changed for a week or more now so i'd say it's not going to change for a while until they fix their supply problems

but shrug, i just work there, i have no idea of how pricing actually works, we just get told when to change it and what to =P

nulon pro strength octane booster and bp ultimate at the correct mixture will bump your octane rating up to over 100 (around 103)

Even using the above it didn't match Shell 100 in my car, safely ran more ignition timing + another 4psi with Shell 100. I actually spoke to one of the techs at Nulon and he said 98 ron + prostrength will make a 98.9 ron mix (from memory) - the increase wasn't huge. Shell 100 is a much better brew......if they have it in stock.

Octane boosters will never be as good as a pure race fuel or 100 octane fuel. I've tested this vpower racing out on both my previous r33 gts-t and my current gtr32, and i have to admit, it runs good, especially since my gtr is tuned in Japan with much higher octane.

i like ethanol i think it is a great introduction.. fingers crossed we will be able to run off it more soo as fossil fuels are depleting quickly

octane booster no.. injector cleaners.. are good though

Just use BP98 or stick to wotever fuel yer car is tuned with. With octane boosters, only thing is that it screws up the internals of the cat, so it will melt down the internals of the cat and eventually block up the cat, and then u have to replace yer cat.

yes i agree, to stick with the same octane fuel as tuned.. unless ther car is constantly learning and adapts to different fuels..?

melt cat.. lol as if u would use a car.. GTR didnt have one lol.. ;) 180sx does... for now :)

Even using the above it didn't match Shell 100 in my car, safely ran more ignition timing + another 4psi with Shell 100. I actually spoke to one of the techs at Nulon and he said 98 ron + prostrength will make a 98.9 ron mix (from memory) - the increase wasn't huge. Shell 100 is a much better brew......if they have it in stock.

all i know is that my mate got a hold of an octane tester, and they were the results.

the abbility to run more ignition timing with the shell fuel is because of the ethanol. it burns colder, and less explosive. to get the same sized explosion with ethanol as normal petrol you need to use nearly twice as much. ethanol also takes more spark to ignitite. if you were to run a normal street car tuned for 98 ron fuel on pure ethanol it would run like crap. it would be majorly down on power. the ideal afr for ethanol is around 6:1, and it is much harder to ignite. you would have to advance the timing by over 10 degrees. my mate runs c16 in his drag/street car. when he is running the c16 he advances the timing by 10 degrees.

Is that the first time you have used it, did you notice a difference.

yes it was the first time i used it, i think it made some difference aye, but bcoz it was so cold either my coil packs were breaking down or my car hadnt adjusted to the colder air/fuel yet, bcoz it was breaking down up top end, but that was nothing to do with the fuel.

Edited by 85URK

• 2 months later...