SAU Community

Ps3 Flop?

smurf80

Hey Guys I just bought a PS3 a week ago and love it to bits but Ive just been doing some reading around on the internet and alot of articles are calling it a flop due to no exclusive releases and the cancelation of the "emotion engine" PS2 chip and replacing it with software emulation. My question is is it going to be able to compete with the wii and Xbox360? I know it has only been on sale for 2 months or so but will it pick up and be a runaway success like the previous models?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh yes. People aren't going to like what I would say. So i am going to keep my mouth shut unless some very stupid posts are put foward.

I will say that sony have hurt themselves with the PS3. And they are not in the position they would like to be. Remember that I also work in the industry and have a very good prospective of whats going on.

It will not dominate the market nearly as much as the PS2 did.

Also being in the industry here, and my feelings are that the battle ground is not on the gaming architecture itself but the war between HD-DVD and BluRay. Before the PS3, HD-DVD's were outselling BluRay like 4-1, since the PS3 launch in USA and UK - pretty much overnight BluRay titles outsold HD-DVD's. Now it's just been announced that BlockBuster have decided to exclusively stock BluRay discs. Effectively Sony has won the format war. That has flow-on effects for the company, in that it owns most of the major film and music labels. It was a simple but risky strategy for Sony, that's paid off, big time for them.

^^^

Yes also JB are only supporting Blu-Ray as well.

This is quote from PALGN.

The Sony High Definition Benchmark report, courtesy of marketing group GfK, has released information regarding the penetration of high definition products in Australia, and it appears as though Aussies are keen to embrace the new technology.

In the first quarter of 2007, HD hardware accounted for 67.5% of all home entertainment products purchased, with LCD outselling Plasma at 88% of all HDTVs sold. Blu-ray, too, is faring well, beating out HD-DVD with a 91% share of the HD movie market. This, however, is offset by the fact that HD disc sales account for only 0.1% of combined DVD sales.

Sony has stated that it also plans to introduce a line of lower-priced LCD TVs around August to be sold at stores like Kmart and Target. So if you've still got your Xbox 360 hooked up via RF to a black and white TV in your basement, now might just be the time to look into something a little more cutting edge.

Sony's lead though is due to penatration with the PS3.

A lot of anlyists are saying that people aren't really ready for HD media as yet. And i would agree the average joe is happy with DVD. And only now are dvd recorders becoming more commonplace it is not a good time to try and have a HD format. I see it more that HD DVD and Blu-ray will exist alongside DVD rather than replace it as the common media for movies, tv shows, games, etc, etc.

Where do you work howie?

^^^

Where do you work howie?

Work in a Data Management and Analysis Centre of one of the main universities. Also self employed consultant.

The bluray penetration has been phenomenal - it's no surprise considering the benefits HD has over DVD. What's more, is that the Japanese have developed an extremely high definition video with about 10-15 times the definition of bluray/hd. So i can definately see bluray replacing DVD's altogether in the near future - especially with bluray burners being made cheaper everyday. 4.5gb DVD's just don't cut it these days.

Since you guys are in the industry, this being more of a gaming question though what exclusive releases will Sony have besides the new Gran Turismo game? I know GTA4 Final Fantasy seem to be system shared now are great new titles sony only?

Im just worried it will go the way of the dreamcast.

It won't go the way of the dreamcast. Sony have enough money to keep it alive for a while yet.

One of sega's biggest problem was cash, they just didn't have enough to keep themselves afloat.

Look at the microsoft and the xbox, the xbox division has never ever made a profit and isn't expected till until 2008 or 2009.

In terms of upcoming sony titles for ps3 there is singstar, lair, warhawk, heavenly sword, the playstation eye (peripheral) and thats almost everything announced at the moment.

Metal gear will come to the 360 IMO. It will be a timed exclusive to the ps3. Konami are not stupid, they are out to make money and these are not enough ps3's out there. So unless sony pay em big time it will be on the 360.

Just like microsoft just payed bigtime for the GTA4 expansions to be 360 only.

Metal gear will come to the 360 IMO. It will be a timed exclusive to the ps3. Konami are not stupid, they are out to make money and these are not enough ps3's out there. So unless sony pay em big time it will be on the 360.

Just like microsoft just payed bigtime for the GTA4 expansions to be 360 only.

don't think that will happen, Konami has already mention more than once it wont happen plus the fact they said it would take up a whole blu-ray cd (50gigz) means u would have to have a 2-5dvd to play it on the xbox.

and im sure ps3 gta4 will get some download content, rockstar has already stated both system will get download content, maybe the stuff the 360 gets the ps3 wont get, but i know the ps3 will be getting some!

Also dont think the ps3 has flop, BUT its not doing so good at this time, with limited titles out...

by xmas it should be picking up with warhawk and home being released.

personal i just cant wit for gt5, now they have confirmed then will have incar dash view its going to be awesome :(

what do you mean by this?

there has been alot of talk lately that MGS would go to xbox, but the head of Konami made an statment that would be ps3 only

By this i mean, that the title is not published by Sony.

MGS4 is a game developed by Konami and is being distrubited by Atari in australia.

And it went through that cycle for a long time until they dropped the price... well that and the fact the games when they 1st came out looked like SNES quality... as soon as the price starts hitting 600 and below it will start outselling Big Macs :worship:

Also in the original post of this thread "...on the internet and alot of articles are calling it a flop... has only been on sale for 2 months...".

To answer was the stuff you reading global? If so, then its a flop because the sales are no where near that of the other gaming machines such as the Wii or 360 and the PS3 has been out for a lot longer then 2 months in other countries.

ps3 hasnt flopped lol. this is just the same cycle ps2 went through.

ahh no it's not the same cycle,t sony beat nintendo and microsoft (dreamcast was effectively dead in australia when ps2 launched) to their launch by over a year. And managed to get a lead that could never be recovered by nintendo and microsoft.

This time it is the other way around, sony are about 7 million units behind microsoft and about 4 million behind nintendo.

and if you look at the latest sales data in japan you will see the wii and ds dominating sales. The xbox is a non issue in japan with only about 95,000 units so this year.

but nintendo have sold over 3 million wiis compared to sony's 425,000 ps3 consoles.

Now you may want to moan and say well nintendo has always been big in japan. But the past few generations they certainly have not, the 64 and GCN weren't overly succesful in japan. And if it wasn't for nintendo's hand held division they would of had a hard time this past decade.

Edited by kralster

My personal opinion after buying a PS3 on launch night I would say it has kept me very well entertained. The graphics are very nice (using Fight Night Round 3, Motorstorm and RFOM for examples), Online play works well for me, I never seem to have any issues getting into an online game, With the the new server setup streaming xvid and divx works rather well using Tversity and that also means I have my whole mp3 collection that is sitting on my PC at my finger tips on the PS3 as well. PS2 backwards compatability isn't really an issue for me, After playing some PS3 games then going back to PS2 graphics it sorta just doesn't work for me, I tried playing GTA again and lets say I gave up after abit because of the Graphic Quality of the games.

The biggest letdown so far is the PSstore updates, I mean the Australian store is so far behind but as others have mentioned it is only early days yet but I don't understand why they couldn't have been working on the content that was released for the US to be ready for Day 1 on the UK/ANZ stores.

I am enjoying my PS3, my dvd player no longer used as the PS3 can handle everything for me (dvd's, blu ray and streaming of Photos, Music and Video over the network).

I agree that a price drop will help sell units but I must admit after getting the console home, playing and experiance all the firmware updates up to the current date I haven't regretted the $1000 I payed for the console plus how ever much I have spent in the PSstore and 9 or so games I own.

If you enjoyed the PS2 you will enjoy the PS3, I think around christmas will be the best time to buy one if you are still sitting on the fence waiting on a console to buy because by then the PS3 should have some pretty good games available to buy but if you jump in early RFOM and Motorstorm should keep you entertained same with GTHD.