SAU Community

Help Surging R33

walta

I got a 96 R33 GTS-T Series 2 Manual. After 4500RPM roughly (Hi-boost mode - standard boost), it surges and carrys on till about 6 then kicks in again till redline, change to next gear and it surges again. Its a smooth surge not like a jerking. Very recently done plugs, coil packs, fuel filter, injecters cleaned and other stuff. Any ideas??? ECU???

yeah im thinking it could be the ECU, but by high boost i mean how they are set up stock. after 4500RPM it goes to 7-8 psi instead of 5 i think. so still running stock boost. could the turbo be stuffed?

Join the club mate, I have had the same problem with mine since I did the turbo conversion on the 25de, and just about replaced everything. AFM is next tho as its the only thing I didnt replace when I did the conversion. Even splitfires didnt make a difference, tried different ecu's with different maps etc, still no luck

Edited by juddieR31

• 3 weeks later...

in the last few months its had the following replaced or mod'd:

splitfire coil packs

spark plugs - platinum

fuel pump - walbro

K&N Pod

dump/front pipe

fuel filter

oil & oil filter

clutch

water pump

timing belt

i know most of that stuff wouldnt caus it but thats whats been done, so im guessing its either a fuell pressure reg or an air flow meter now, remember its a smooth surge not a jolting or jerking when detenating occurs,

still bloody stumped and angry

Seeing as you have have tried a lot of different options could be a long shot but i might be your afm, also due to the k&n pod you are using as they are oil based filters, and the oily film can disturb the air folw meter. Pehaps try cleaning your afm and putting a different filter on or standard box.

yeah not sure, was a mechanics job, by high boost i mean stock boost too by the way, but yeah not sure, could be AFM though, what pod should i run then if thats the case? dont they all have oil in em? also i love the look of your 33 'R33silverS2', looks tits

yeah not sure, was a mechanics job, by high boost i mean stock boost too by the way, but yeah not sure, could be AFM though, what pod should i run then if thats the case? dont they all have oil in em? also i love the look of your 33 'R33silverS2', looks tits

Thanks walta

Get an apexi power intake they are dry filters. :dry: I just bought one for my car.

Edited by R33silverS2

• 7 months later...

Hey walta did you end up finding your problem?

I was talking to someone else about a similar problem they had and they said it was the Intake hose from AFM into the turbo sucking closed, they resolved it by putting on a silcon intake pipe on.

• 1 month later...

i agree with evryone those k&n filters especially being oil based will F### your afm it happens on subaru's all the time and you problem with running lean sounds like you ecu not adding enough fuel on boost or cruise and it is surgeing if you have checkd fuel pressure and it is good thats ok could also be dirty injectors or oxygen sensor possibly not reading correctly or your afm running lean on boost and surgeing for fuel mite be worh just getting it checked of a resistance reading could even be coolant temp sensor check it for resistance the higher the temp of the engine the lower the resistance should be just a few ideas

i agree with evryone those k&n filters especially being oil based will F### your afm it happens on subaru's all the time

Nothing wrong with the K&N actually. It's because people over oil them, contrary to instructions. So only avoid them if you can't read. :)

hey im having exactly the same problem it all started after resetting my ecu iv replaced plugs and taped any small cracks on the coilpacks my car is still runninh hell rich i dunno what 2 do either pls help btw i have a hks pod its all black and so is all the surrounding parts im guessing after putting finer filter oil on it it may have damaged the afm but i oiled it in november and the problem has only started last week . and it seems as tho it gets worse as it gets colder.

leeboi33 if you think ur new oiled-up pod is is causing problem..

try using some good electrical contact cleaner from ur nearest bunnings/auto one store..

and give ur afm a good clean..

do a search..theres heaps of tips on sau..