SAU Community

S15 6 Speed

yeah my mate was lookin at S15's before he bought his rex, and one we looked at in particual had a 5 speed box and what looked like rivets everywhere through the body (cheap-ass chassis strengthening). seemed to be a highly modified car at one point, but thats the only 5 speed S15 i ever heard of, and was definately not stock. did you buy/are you lookin at a dark blue one in S/E victoria by any chance?

The 6 speeds are much weaker.

Would it handle 300ish... Yes.

For how long. Not long.

Most guys will downgrade/upgrade to the s14 box when they develop more serious power.

rb25det box is the only one that will 'handle' 300rwkw for any decent length of time.

the 6 speed is ok for the likes of 220-230rwkw.

the 5 speed is probably a little better at that level.

anything over 250rwkw and you'd be silly to spend your money on anything execpt rb25 box..

and no, the conversion is not simple and straight forward for the rb box.

The 5speed and 6speed are both the same casing, its only the internals that are different. The 6speed internals are smaller and weaker so they break quite easily. They are not much chop after about 200-220rwkw dependng on how you drive. The 5 speed will take 250rwkw quite happily on the street, and is a good match for a light tune sr20. But as GTST said if your going to flog the car go for the rb25 box, or get some tuffer internals.

(And no s15's came out with factory 5speeds)

My friend in the DA series has an RB25 gearbox behind a big single turbo'd RB26 in his 32 drift car. He clutch-kicks it in 4th gear, and it hasn't caved in yet- so you should be okay :yes: