SAU Community

Performance

Two questions...

One, I would like to get an exhaust with the upcoming FMIC that I am planning to install... Now, I'd like an exhaust that increases performance, one that will provide benefit across the entire rev range (or at least good average power throughout most of the rev range), and yes, I'd like some note, some growl.... However, can this be accomplished without two things? One, without being sooo bloody loud that cops a mile away can hear you change at 4k rpm, perfornace without the "OMFG I'm a hoon lol!" thing... Secondly, I'm not a fan of milo-tins... Never have been, I'm aware MOST aftermarket exhausts are of a larger diameter than stock... Basically, can I aquire this performance without a gaping 10" hanging out of the back of my car, looking like it needs it own set of wheels to keep it of the ground, with a horrid drone to match....

I don't mind the look of the " Greddy Power Extreme II Exhaust System", but I wouldn't want any bigger... How are these things for performance/loudness/note??? What are the INJEN/HKS/APEXI and other equivilents like??

Blow-Off valve... Similar thing, performance increase? Is it possible without the "HEY PULL ME OVER OFFICER!" volume.... A little "piiissshhhh" is ok, as it is nessicary, but I've heard some in my day, and crickey some can be loud.... What is the HKS SSQV blow-off valve like? Are there others that perform better, or are quieter??? SSQV is plumb-back correct?

Cheers in advance... Also, I drive an R34 GT-T...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two questions...

One, I would like to get an exhaust with the upcoming FMIC that I am planning to install... Now, I'd like an exhaust that increases performance, one that will provide benefit across the entire rev range (or at least good average power throughout most of the rev range), and yes, I'd like some note, some growl.... However, can this be accomplished without two things? One, without being sooo bloody loud that cops a mile away can hear you change at 4k rpm, perfornace without the "OMFG I'm a hoon lol!" thing... Secondly, I'm not a fan of milo-tins... Never have been, I'm aware MOST aftermarket exhausts are of a larger diameter than stock... Basically, can I aquire this performance without a gaping 10" hanging out of the back of my car, looking like it needs it own set of wheels to keep it of the ground, with a horrid drone to match....

I don't mind the look of the " Greddy Power Extreme II Exhaust System", but I wouldn't want any bigger... How are these things for performance/loudness/note??? What are the INJEN/HKS/APEXI and other equivilents like??

Blow-Off valve... Similar thing, performance increase? Is it possible without the "HEY PULL ME OVER OFFICER!" volume.... A little "piiissshhhh" is ok, as it is nessicary, but I've heard some in my day, and crickey some can be loud.... What is the HKS SSQV blow-off valve like? Are there others that perform better, or are quieter??? SSQV is plumb-back correct?

Hi

I dont think your BOV would need changing, as the stock ones do take a fair bit of boost, and you wont notice any performance increase if you do upgrade, just another thing to add to the defect list when you do get pulled up..

HKS SSQ are pretty dam loud.

3" exhaust is probably the best choice for performance, and you can keep it quiet with added mufflers and resonaters. Not sure what any of the above exhaust sound like, never heard them, but most Japanese performance exhaust are averagely loud and have a deep tough growly idle.

Other problem is that if you have too many mufflers, resonaters, the exhaust becomes restrictive and you will lose power then.

Best someone with exhaust experience to reply to that question, as I dont mind an exhaust being loud. 3" turbo back with a high flow CAT would do me fine :D

With just a FMIC and turbo back, or even CAT back exhaust you will notice a great improvement, maybe even 10-12psi of boost!

Hope some of that helps..

Thanks,

Abu

Cheers!

Yeah, I've been told that with Front/Dump pipe, 3" exhaust and a hi-flow cat, plus an FMIC, stock boost will rise from 7psi to about 9psi...

On that note, what is a good cat to get?

Catco? Metalcat? Magic cat?

Magic cat seem to make some steep claims but it appears that other makes tend to bag magic cat... Anyone had any experience with these???

the powre extreme two is the perfect exhaust for your requirements man. slightly louder than stock, its a 3 inch so flow is good and its not so loud that its gonna get u unwanted attention. a very deep smooth note

like abu said you dont need an aftermarket bov. its just a wanker mod if you arent running crazy amounts of boost/power

my pick is catco btw of the metal cats. but thats just a presonal pref. i dont think theres much difference in them

Find yourself an exhaust that has at least one midpipe muffler (not just a resonator) as well as a rear muffler. Since most people want stupidly loud exhausts, a lot of aftermarket exhausts I see people using only have rear mufflers and maybe a resonator in the middle.

A resonator technically only smooths out the exhaust noise at a certain part of the rev range (which is why its called a resonator and not a muffler).

I'm a big fan of the Fujitsubo Legalis R range of exhausts. They're generally OEM quality (from what I've heard they make a lot of exhausts for OEM, I know Nismo used a Fuji on their S-Tune 350Z for a while) and they're not deafening loud.

As you can see from this shop, they come in an oval rear tank for a more OEM-style look.

Not sure what the R34 applications are like in terms of soundare, though. I've heard Legalis R exhausts on 350Zs and Integras, and they give off a nice note while still being practically OEM quiet in the bottom half of the rev range, but when you get up in the revs the sound gets a lot more aggressive in terms of note and volume.

I've also heard good things about CES Racing exhausts in terms of performance (for Silvias at least). And they're Australian.

They have the option for oval or cannon rear mufflers as well (their site has a picture of their oval muffler).

Noise-wise they're apparently quite loud (for Silvias, anyway) but they're also meant to be noise legal. You might want to confirm this with them, though.

I've got a Hitech muffler on my 350Z and I love it. Its quiet up until I get to the upper part of the rev range, but even at full noise its not deafening. I've heard the Hitech S15 exhaust and its a bit louder, but not unbearably so...and it was on a car that would be the limits of what you'd call "light tune". Both of them flow very well for the application.

IMO one of the better Japanese aftermarket exhausts ie Nismo or the PE2 , plenty out there second hand because some like making lots of noise .

As for blow off valves , the factory fits quite effective closed throttle recirculation valves so why change it at modest power levels ? If I was going to do anything I'd fit the dual GTR ones but its probably not going to make much if any difference .

Making noise makes you a target and the authorities are only too willing to let you pay for the privilege .

Cheers A .

OK then, bugger BOV, obviously I don't need it....

Thanks for all the links and pictures, it is good to see what is out there... I'm definitely looking for something with both a muffler and resonator... Much like the 'Greddy Power Extreme II Exhaust System'... I agree that noise = attention, and that isn't always a good thing (in fact, in most cases, it isn't)... However, nice note would be cool, and a few kw more grunt will NEVER go astray! :D

Mark,

Give Kermit a pm he does custome stailess stell exhausets here in perth and will be doing my GTT soon too.

Im like you want a good flow exhaust but with minamal sound. I am getting a 3in from turbo through a cat into a centre (oval) muffler then split into 2x 2 and a half in pipes then twin mufflers on the back. This way you get good flow and less noise (small tip on the end = less noise)

If you like you can see mine when it done but it wont be for a month or so.

RTK

I've also heard good things about CES Racing exhausts in terms of performance (for Silvias at least). And they're Australian.

They have the option for oval or cannon rear mufflers as well (their site has a picture of their oval muffler).

Noise-wise they're apparently quite loud (for Silvias, anyway) but they're also meant to be noise legal. You might want to confirm this with them, though.

I've got a Hitech muffler on my 350Z and I love it. Its quiet up until I get to the upper part of the rev range, but even at full noise its not deafening. I've heard the Hitech S15 exhaust and its a bit louder, but not unbearably so...and it was on a car that would be the limits of what you'd call "light tune". Both of them flow very well for the application.

the CES stuff looks like puss and is WAY overpriced especislly if you compare quality. Hitech make some good gear but again it looks puss on silvias skylines.

PeII trust system is hard to beat, silent force is also very good. The fujitsubo gear is good quality but uber quiet (std quiet)

i have/had a peII trust system on my car.. made good power and sounded quiet as... now i have a custom centre peice made by creatd... STRAIGHT PIPE FTW

Two questions...

5Zigen make alot of exhaust to your specification, alot of them dont use big oversized cannon mufflers either. Id ask them a question or two.

5ZIGEN AUSTRALIA by RATED R GROUP

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA

02-9748-6899

02-9748-6000

[email protected]

www.5zigen.com.au

http://www.5zigen.com.au/border%203%20exhaust.htm

Edited by Pauly33GTS-t

I agree with scathing.

Fujitsubo Legalis R will give the performance gains you wont without being too noisy.

I had one on my car previously and it was infact TOO quiet for my liking so I changed to a buddyclub, which after changing to an aftermarket turbo is a little too loud for my liking ! haha third times a charm I guess !

Im thinking of going for the 5Zigen cat back. They arent too loud and comes with a nice titanium finish on the tip.

What about other small mods like AFM's, or the SAFCII's???

I don't know much about them, can someone please shed some light on them, and people with experience, do they, in conjunction with other mods, help HP? and/or economy/response??? Cheers.

What about other small mods like AFM's, or the SAFCII's???

I don't know much about them, can someone please shed some light on them, and people with experience, do they, in conjunction with other mods, help HP? and/or economy/response??? Cheers.

Safc2 is to help with the AFR's. I'd go for a PFC over a Safc, Its better in every way. You can alter fuel, timing, etc. And yes it will help with HP, economy and response.

You upgrade AFM's when they can't handle/register the amount of airflow going through them. They're there as for the ecu to be able to make the correct air fuel mixtures for you.

Edited by KeyMaker

Sweet, so I've picked a good exhaust (however, I'm still going to speak to some bloke based in WA who is on the forums)...

Bugger the BOV...

Now I need to ask this... Apexi PFC.... Is it worth getting for the R34, I've been advised that the GReddy piggyback E-Manage Ultimate is just as good as a stand alone ECU replacement as it allows almost any parameters for tuning, timing and whatnot, and it is a much newer design... Is this true, does this guy's opinion hold water? I'm not chasing 600BHP at the rear wheels... As I said, FMIC, zorst, and MAYBE chip/ECU will come first, later down the track, will come suspension, mild bodykit and maybe a bigger turbo... SO yeah, is a full blown ECU replacement necessary? I'm trying to upgrade smart! :)

If I'm getting an exhaust system, I might as well get the full dump/front pipe as well?

As said, PEII is quiet, almost too quiet.

Don't like the tip, cut it off, weld on some 3" stainless pipe, and paint the whole thing with some heat proof black paint.