SAU Community

Performance

Sweet, so I've picked a good exhaust (however, I'm still going to speak to some bloke based in WA who is on the forums)...

Bugger the BOV...

Now I need to ask this... Apexi PFC.... Is it worth getting for the R34, I've been advised that the GReddy piggyback E-Manage Ultimate is just as good as a stand alone ECU replacement as it allows almost any parameters for tuning, timing and whatnot, and it is a much newer design... Is this true, does this guy's opinion hold water? I'm not chasing 600BHP at the rear wheels... As I said, FMIC, zorst, and MAYBE chip/ECU will come first, later down the track, will come suspension, mild bodykit and maybe a bigger turbo... SO yeah, is a full blown ECU replacement necessary? I'm trying to upgrade smart! :)

If I'm getting an exhaust system, I might as well get the full dump/front pipe as well?

If you want power, you should get a full exhaust.

E-manage isn't comparable to a "stand alone" system in any way. For your spoken of requirements, a PFC would suit fine.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet, so I've picked a good exhaust (however, I'm still going to speak to some bloke based in WA who is on the forums)...

Bugger the BOV...

Now I need to ask this... Apexi PFC.... Is it worth getting for the R34, I've been advised that the GReddy piggyback E-Manage Ultimate is just as good as a stand alone ECU replacement as it allows almost any parameters for tuning, timing and whatnot, and it is a much newer design... Is this true, does this guy's opinion hold water? I'm not chasing 600BHP at the rear wheels... As I said, FMIC, zorst, and MAYBE chip/ECU will come first, later down the track, will come suspension, mild bodykit and maybe a bigger turbo... SO yeah, is a full blown ECU replacement necessary? I'm trying to upgrade smart! :)

If I'm getting an exhaust system, I might as well get the full dump/front pipe as well?

Yeah he probably does have a bit of water in him. 70% actually hahahaha. But yeah seriously, apparently they're are quite good. FC's are harder and more expensive to come across these days. PM URAS and should be able to tell you they're just as good as an FC. I'm not sure if it'll be plug in though. You might have wire it in. FC's are good cos they're just unplug, plug in. If you want the stock back in, unplug, plug in.

Doesn't a piggy-back usually work 'with' the stock ecu???

The problem is that sometimes it can also work against the stock ECU. That's why a standalone ECU is preferable from a tuner's standpoint, as it makes more consistent power.

That said, if you're sticking to a light tune, street-only, setup I don't have issues with piggybacks. You can retain all the cool OEM functionality that the aftermarket ECUs don't have, and if you're just doing bolt-ons the differences in outright power will be minimal.

the CES stuff looks like puss and is WAY overpriced especislly if you compare quality. Hitech make some good gear but again it looks puss on silvias skylines.

Looks like what? I've seen a CES exhaust on a Silvia, and I posted a link to a photo of the CES on a GTSt, and they look like your typical twin tipped oval mufflers. Since the original requirements were for it to look subtle, I reckon it'd do a better job than a cannon. It would pass for stock from people who didn't know much about cars, especially if you got the thing dirty.

hey i would recomend gettting a good zorst with minimal restictors and just using a apexi zorst valve controller ive heard nothing but goodness from the setup.

my opinion anyways.

cheers

Exactly what i plan on running and having seen it in use it deff works!

I knew of 3-4 people running one of these and never once got pulled over, just a quick pull of the flap and your running silent!

Also good if you have whingey neighbors!

I will second the Fujitsubo exhaust. I had a cat-back (dunno wat model) on R32 GTR along with front pipes. As soon as it was installed, the car went extremely quite, almost stock car silent on idle, with a nice deep purr on throttle. Nail it and aggressive bark, never a trace of ricey zing. Definitely the best exhaust note i've heard and extremely happy with results.

Later on had full engine rebuild with HKS dumps on HKS GTSS, 700cc inj., powerFC etc etc 313rwkw at Racepace. At first, Ben was worried the exhaust might be restrictive and limiting boost and power but he was very impressed with the flow. Cops pulled me over once looking for a defect and had to let me go as the car looked and sounded stock.

the exhaust had an oval mid muffler and a large ovoid rear muffler. The tip was on the bottom aspect so most of the muffler was hidden from view behind rear bar with the tip coming out the recess. Basically looked like a stock muffler with larger tip.

My 2c is try to get a front pipe (I bought mine mandrell bent 3" second hand for $100) installed at same time, if ur having turbos replaced, get a dump too. Dunno if ur car is hard to install dumps.

You can get any management you want, but at end of the day its the tuner that nets u the results. Even with a motec, if you go to a dumbass ur car will make the power, but drive like a wagon of sh1t. I had powerfc on my car and was extremely happy with results, drove smooth (or even smoother) than stock.

Unrelated, the only thing i didnt like on my car was on idle you could hear the sard injectors flapping away.... damm noisy buggers... and also nismo fuel pump vibrations.

Edited by GTSpec

First mod from stock 144rwkw was exhaust, consisting of split dump 3"system, high flo cat and resonator which i picked up for 1350 and put me to 169rwkw. great improvement for cost...

have a read over topics here for a start;

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=66556

You don't need to do much to get the fairly standard R34 to run low 13/high 12 and look basically stock (read no cop attention at all). They have a great little sidemount intercooler on them standard unlike the R33/32 GTST's, if you are planning just to stay with the stock turbo for now or even something a little larger.

save your money on a name brand exhaust and just get an xforce or similar

my last r34 had hiflow cat and trust power extreme II catback and it was louder than my current xforce turbo back system and obviously made less power with stock dump and front . IMO the xforce quality is just as good and its not realy an area where china quality is a concern . same with cats , special metal cats might provide small gains but not worth the $$$ which would be better spent elsewhere for more productive gains although if you were chasing every kw in a no stops spared build then go for it

do not keep the smic, the stock intercooler is really not great . its slightly thicker than a 32/33 one but its still increadibly tiny , its inlet and outlet and piping tract is restrictive and its position is less than ideal . for the cost of a proper fmic kit these days theres no need to keep it

if you can find a 2nd hand pfc grab it , its still the best option out of any ecu by far in its price range

If you are keeping the factory turbo for now then just hold on to the factory smic, they work very well. You will see no improvement overall in performance by upgrading it (with the factory turbo), especially if you go a large cheapo' unit. They are able to flow pretty well upto 220rwkw or so. Then again if you want to go through the excersice of upgrading it with a veiw to the future, then first decide on the airflow requirements you will have based on the turbo you will wind up with and get a properly sized/designed unit if you can afford it. Maybe give it a very light coat of black paint so it's not so 'hello officer'.

I quite enjoyed blowing away the 'bling' R33/4's with my old one at the drags. Always gave me a laugh when I was asked to pop the bonnet and there was nothing there but, a factory looking engine bay. Sleeper is a good look for me. It's more fun without the attention. More so these days when every P plater has a riced up R33/34, good to avoid the association.

So if I'm keeping the factory turbo, do I:

a) Stay with the stock SMIC, or go with FMIC, I've been recommended the FMIC by a large number of people...

b) Go with a full exhaust that includes front & dump pipes?

position of the SMIC is not ideal??

there is a wheel arch behind it that generates a negative pressure instead of a radiator and engine bay. seems pretty ideally located to me.

if you are bored remove the foam thats located in front of the grill to the wheel arch and if you are really bored cut out the plastic grill and replace with mesh.

exhaust is a no-brainer and i would save up for a PowerFC or some suspension bits like adjustable radius rods (winding on more positive castor was one of the cheapest and most beneficial changes i have made on the two nissans i own).

Edited by wolverine

So if I'm keeping the factory turbo, do I:

a) Stay with the stock SMIC, or go with FMIC, I've been recommended the FMIC by a large number of people...

b) Go with a full exhaust that includes front & dump pipes?

a) stock turbo = stay with the SMIC. Get the right size FMIC if and when you go for a full house turbo upgrade. It's cop bait and won't do anything to make the car quicker.

b) Full exhaust for sure.

Grab some pineapples for the rear subframe if you haven't got them = $99. Whiteline kit is KCA349.

a) stock turbo = stay with the SMIC. Get the right size FMIC if and when you go for a full house turbo upgrade. It's cop bait and won't do anything to make the car quicker.

b) Full exhaust for sure.

Grab some pineapples for the rear subframe if you haven't got them = $99. Whiteline kit is KCA349.

Pardon my noobishness..... But Pineapples?

trust pe2 is pretty good - I've got one but make sure you team it up with the biggest cat you can afford, dump and down off the turbo. Don't know about it being almost too quiet - mine's on the limit for me I wouldn't want it any louder 'specially in the 100km/hr drone zone. Took us an hour to fit going slow so not a problem.

Kermit Engineering, Custom Exhausts.

hey mate , for an exhaust please dont allow yourself to be convinced that you MUST have a Jap brand exhaust . i have a RB25DET at the moment which has a full exhaust ( minus dump atm , is on its way). mant people dont seem to realise that muffler design has a lot to do with the note and noise. a quality muffler will not be stupidly loud even in a single muffler system as long as you run a cat converter. i have a quality single muffler on the cefiro and the note is meanacing but cetainly not loud even at high rpm and to date i have not even been looked at by the police and would happily go over the pits with this exhaust.

if you are interested have a listen to my ceffie and see what you think .

a custom exhaust will always fit better than a off the shelf system , it will be designed to suit your requirements and have maximum ground clearance. custom systems will also be a lot cheaper than what you may think . PM if interested or check my thread in ' Western Australia , General chat '.

kermit 0422 549 050

Ok, sweet mate.... I've seen your posts around and I was curious about what products you have....

Your in Perth yeah? Might have to give you a call or pop in to your workshop...

Speaking of exhausts, would I see much gain by matching a full exhaust with say a 6 boost exhaust manifold???

If I'm planning the mods I am, would I benefit from cams and cam gear/s???