SAU Community

This Quote, Is It To Much?

weSky

Guys,

Been quoted $2495 for parts and labour for the below items. Am I being ripped?

Brand new power steering pump.

Major service (fluids, filters, everything etc etc)

Timing belt (blue belts???) and all bearings

Injector service

Rubber fuel lines need to be replaced

Front arm bushes (he said neopreme or something? - anyway $160 each fitted)

Plat' plugs

O2 senor

Water pump

Belts where needed

All parts plus labour, Is this a rip?

Cheers,

Steve.

Edited by weSky

best bet it to get more than one quote for the same parts from different workshops...

Thanks Gazee. I have chased a few place up and they are all telling me around$3400, $3600.

Funnily enough, Lube Mobile has been the cheapest. They did my clutch a 16 months back, fitted for $240, I provided the parts. When he said $240, I choked and had them out the same day haha. To this day, I have not had one problem.

Just more interested in seeing if anyone has had similar work and for what price.

Cheers,

Steve.

i got my water pump replaced with a rb26 one

timing belt replaced with genuine nissan

the 2 bearings that your meant to replace at the same time as timing belt were fine according to mechanic :P

my diff oil & transmission oil replaced

the other belts replaced and just coolant replaced

supplied and fitted was around $800 from memory

but your getting a fair few other things done too and all adds up so sounds about right when you think about it.

the 2 bearings that your meant to replace at the same time as timing belt were fine according to mechanic :P

but your getting a fair few other things done too and all adds up so sounds about right when you think about it.

Thats comforting!

Guys,

Been quoted $2495 for parts and labour for the below items. Am I being ripped?

Brand new power steering pump.

Major service (fluids, filters, everything etc etc)

Timing belt (blue belts???) and all bearings

Injector service

Rubber fuel lines need to be replaced

Front arm bushes (he said neopreme or something? - anyway $160 each fitted)

Plat' plugs

O2 senor

Water pump

Belts where needed

All parts plus labour, Is this a rip?

Cheers,

Steve.

Those bushes are a bit much. I believe you can get aftermarket bushes for about $60 a pair on ebay!

the 2 bearings that your meant to replace at the same time as timing belt were fine according to mechanic :D

They didnt replace the timing belt when they done all that? :)

Did they give you a printed quote with a breakdown on what you are paying for? Try and ask for that? It would give us a better idea and at least you would know what your paying for.

how did lube mobile do the clutch? ie without a hoist

Jacked up the car, 4 x stands sitting about 3-4ft off of the ground.

He used the trolly jack to drop the box on to and to lift when replacing.

He had me out there showing me everything he was doing, followed by choking at the state of the flywheel lol.

It was funny because he was this tiny little mauritious man who was about 50kg and 5 ft nothing. A tough little fella and he did it all within the day - was great!

I think a lot of places think $$$ when they hear the word clutch, turbo or engine. 240 including oil, bearings and labour is fairer for a clutch I suppose. Some of the prices I hear are fairly up there.

My original couple of quotes in Melb were either just shy of the $600 mark or a little over, with me providing ALL if the parts, minus oil

I had always had work done by Lube Mobile, I thought id give them a go for the clutch. The reason why I didnt try them first time around was because I honestly thought they could not have done a clutch being a mobile mech'

I wrote them an email withall the specs, they wrote back saying we can fit all your parts for $240 and a pot of coffee. They came out the same day and off he went. Although he did have to come back the following day as he couldnt get the fly wheel machined on the same day.

All this covered with their 12 month warranty on work, I couldnt complain!

DEPENDS WHAT A BRAND NEW POWER STEERING PUMP IS. when i was working at subaru it was 1250 for a pump.

A stock standard pump suitable for the r33 gtst was priced at $220 brand new. I think this is pretty cool considering I have seen second hand pumps on here go for $150

But 1250 for a pump is bloody painful haha

where on earth did you find a brand new power steering pump for $220? I need 3 at that price

Ill see if the bloke from Lube mobile can tell me. He is working on my car today, hopefully ill catch him when I get home from work.

Not a direct comparison, but a workshop up here (gold coast) quoted me $600 to fit:

new timing belt - supplied by me

new exhaust gear - supplied by me

new tensioner and idler - suplied by me

seals - supplied by me

water pump - supplied by me

other belts - workshop supplied

coolant - workshop supplied

oil (unknown type) - workshop supplied.

this is a 3 hour job MAX for a mechanic - so either the other belts, oil and coolant are suuuper expensive or that's some expensive labour. maybe i'll give lube mobile a try....