SAU Community

R33 Gts-t Turbo Removal Complications

I will be purchasing a r33 GTS-T in the next few months and because of the new p-plate laws coming in on july first in Victoria I wont be able to drive a turbo car while on my p's. The price difference between the GTS and GTS-T is next to none and the uprated diff on the GTS-T seals the deal. I was wondering what problems would I have removing the turbo? besides obviously needing a non turbo exhaust manifold. Would I need to get the ECU retuned or would the car adjust to it and so forth.

Thanks In Advance

prob gonna need new ecu too. 1 that isnt tuned to have a turbo like the stock ecu from the r33 gts. that might help you out but i would go see a performance shop and enquire some more.

ring the Ray at RE Customs. he'll be a big help

yes it would still run.

It would just be like drivng around off boost.

How ever good luck trying to convince the coppers that you have taken the turbo off....when the compliance plates state RB25DET andnot RB25DE.

Also you would have to remove all the cooler piping and make/buy a new intake (NA) aswell as get a new front pipe.

The RB25DET with out the T will make less power than the 25DE as it has lower compression. less ign timing and different cams with are designed for forced induction.

But yes it could be done.

Andrew

I will be purchasing a r33 GTS-T in the next few months and because of the new p-plate laws coming in on july first in Victoria I wont be able to drive a turbo car while on my p's. The price difference between the GTS and GTS-T is next to none and the uprated diff on the GTS-T seals the deal. I was wondering what problems would I have removing the turbo? besides obviously needing a non turbo exhaust manifold. Would I need to get the ECU retuned or would the car adjust to it and so forth.

Thanks In Advance

The car is still build plated as a Turbo model.

The car is still registered as a Turbo model.

The car still requires all the Turbo model pollution gear to control it for EPA purposes

Playing with the ECU is also illegal and, for the R33, pretty much a pointless excercise.

Thre have been a dozen threads on this mate. You can not get around the law by simply "removing the turbo". You think the makers of these laws didnt think that people would attempt this?

You cant do it legally, so buy a N/A like the law states you must :)

Its as simple as that really.

I spoke to vicroads and they said to me that as long as I removed the turbo and it conformed to the power to weight ratio there wouldnt be a problem. To be sure I got it in writing from them. So I dont know what the score is :P

as stated best route is buy a N/A gts skyline and go from there, if that bothers you get a small 4 cyl car drive around for 3 years save more money and who knows with discussions of bio fuel and god knows what in 3 years things may be different that way 1. You have saved money all round on insurance and fuel and other things, 2. you can put that money towards something better?

you would have to plug up all the water and oil holes, and then your car will be more gutless than a natro skyline. the turbo cars run lower compression than natro, so it means less power.

I agree with the others, i bought a GTS however i am replacing it with DET motor as i have got a screw logged in my piston.

BUt buy a GTS and you'll have more power than the GTS-T (without turbo) because the NA engine was built to allow for (no-boost) and therefore a higher compression.

Just adding my thoughts..

Regards Hamish

I agree with the others, i bought a GTS however i am replacing it with DET motor as i have got a screw logged in my piston.

BUt buy a GTS and you'll have more power than the GTS-T (without turbo) because the NA engine was built to allow for (no-boost) and therefore a higher compression.

Just adding my thoughts..

Regards Hamish

:):D:O:blink: WTF!!! I wanna hear the story behind this!!! lol

But to be on topic, yeah definetely go the GTS, removing a turbo on a GTS-t when there is an NA version of the same car allready available........ummm where is the logic in this??? The diff being different (which you will not be able to tell is different just from amatuer driving) is hardly worth the money involved in turning into an NA car, and yeah as the guys above have allready said, its a turbo car from factory meaning you cannot drive it under P plate laws, regardless wether you drop a hyundai excel motor in it or not lol

Dude - for f**k's SAKE don't get a Skyline on your P's. Do You REALLY want to be pulled-over EVERY day THAT BAD ? ? !

I believe the new P's rules say "No mods at all to engine" - so removing the Turbo would be a mod.. . Catch 22. Plus the RB25deT motor has lower compression than the N/A Motor, so it'd be heavier on fuel than necessary, AND gutless.

Maybe get a 240Z for 3 years, & learn about hardcore maintenance ? ? ?