SAU Community

Best Gtr Tuner In Oz?

hey everyone i dont know if this is the correct section to post in but i thought i'd get the best reponse here.

i have a rb26 setup capable of 650-700hp at the wheels (previously made 605hp on 22psi at last tuner on pump fuel) and im running a motec m800 ecu and im after a tuner who has a high quality reputation for tuning big power gtrs. I dont care what state they are in as i will pay for there flight and accomodation to get them here. i have had issues with melting 3 pistons in my last setup from the tuner because he didnt use knock detection and cost me around $4000 to fix it so i dont want to go through the same thing again.

so if u had a choice of any tuner in Australia who would u use?

i have a few big tuners on my list including...

Croydon Racing Development

Tony Rigoli Performance

Subzero

RacePace

Willall Racing

Tilbrook

any others im missing?

anyone with positive stories regarding these and other big name workshops can u please post your experiences u have had with them and also if anyone has negative comments plese PM them to me to avoid any issues on the forums.

thanks

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you've listed pretty much all "the" places to take a GTR for high end performance.

And each person who uses those workshops is going to say, use those :)

Rightly so as well, they all do good work, and all have happy customers to boot.

Your probably better off chatting to each of them and going from there.

Personally i'd look to send the car to them, rather than fly people around the place, most tuners would perfer to work with thier own people/shops/tools etc etc.

Just something to think about.

So maybe then, what works out for transportation costs maybe might play a part?

Personally, ring them all. Chat to the tuners/owners and see who fits your ideal, cause at the end of the day... thats whats going to matter most i think

EDIT: And also while i think of it, remember, because big power involves big money... just take each "negative" story as it comes. There are two sides to each story, and given the monetary amounts this can easily become nasty quickly, and over seemingly nothing sometimes.

hey thanks for the advice nismoid, i have actually thought about the tuner liking his own workshop/dyno/tools etc if anything is needed to be fixed on my car while being tuned. plus the cost of me hiring a dyno in my area adds up too.

thank B-man i have been recomended Hitman by a friend as well i might give these workshops a ring and have a chat.

i am after someone who is willing to be helpful over the phone in the future after the tune if i have any issues without having to fly them back just to adjust the idle or something minor. so customer relations is important. i dont expect them to tell me how to tune or anything just if i need to adjust something simple.

cheers

Not really knowing any of those tuners, and what ecus they are used to tuning. But if it were my money, I would want to go to the tuner that has the most knowledge/best in tuning motec m800 ecus. Not the one that knows gtr's the best...

But, thats just my opinion.

hey thanks for the advice nismoid, i have actually thought about the tuner liking his own workshop/dyno/tools etc if anything is needed to be fixed on my car while being tuned. plus the cost of me hiring a dyno in my area adds up too.

thank B-man i have been recomended Hitman by a friend as well i might give these workshops a ring and have a chat.

i am after someone who is willing to be helpful over the phone in the future after the tune if i have any issues without having to fly them back just to adjust the idle or something minor. so customer relations is important. i dont expect them to tell me how to tune or anything just if i need to adjust something simple.

cheers

Ye, hence i would vote sending the car to them mate.

That way you can leave it with them for a couple of weeks, even a month.

The workshop then can drive it around, get a feel for the tune and make 110% certain that its not going to give you grief at any stage under varying conditions.

Tuning the ECU you have is a task in itself to get a great tune as opposed to an average one.

Getting a tuner in for 2-3 days is going to cost you 5 times as much i reckon. Being its your car only they are working on.

They dont get a chance to play with 4 cars, all doing the cold start, or all under load, etc etc.

Not trying to make you do it, but just really consider it is my best recommendation for you.

There is no doubt about it. Take it to someone who knows motec ecus well and has experience tuning with them. Go to motec website and get some suggestions and make your mind up from there. MOTEC are very good, but you can actually go worse with it compared to a simpler ecu because motec is complex "Ben Strador".

Western Australia so none are easier really except maybe Willall being in Adelaide.

I actually havent purchased the new ecu yet and motec was top option because i thought everyone could tune them i currently have an Autronic ecu but tuners are lacking from what ive noticed. So i suppose i can choose the tuner and then get the ecu they reccomend. i dont want AFM"S so pfc is out the question and its not in a gtr so plug in ecus are not of any value unless i wire in a gtr loom.

i simply want someone who isnt going to melt pistons when running high boost, and capable of tuning map/tps because a few of the Perth tuners ive seen wont tune it on anything but MAP sensor only and with 6 throttle bodies i hear its a no no. I dont care if the tuner doesnt make huge power i just want someone i can trust with experience and good workmanship.

There is an authorised autronic tuner/distributor in WA, just look on the autronic website/forum. For 99.9% cars, autronic is as good if not better than motec when wanting to run TPS/map sensing. PS what autronic are you running?

Edited by Adriano

I would run the Power Fc over the Motec. You can easily pay 5k for a Motec tune of you want it to drive like a std Nissan, and use all the functionality of the ECU's options. Power Fc its jsut so much quicker and easier to get the tune about right. So when speaking to workshops i woudl make sure you are asking them all the same question re the Motec. One place may give you a $1000 price for a tune vs anothers 3.5K.

SMC version, it has Autotune and all the usual features.

Power fc is a pain because wiring in the gtr harness is more hassle than its worth. i have bought a djetro in the past but when trying to wire in the harness i gave up and decided to sell it off and kept the Autronics. I dont like afm's as the engine bay is super clean and its a single turbo so i dont want 2 dirty afms in the way if i can help it :)

Edited by overpowered

6 throttles and good drivability, why not a d-jetro PFC, or even better get an AFM, are you worried about losing HP?

read above post about the d jetro, i dont want afm's because i like the engine bay without them lol. i might give wiring up the gtr loom a go again and try a pfc as they are cheap as chips anyway and i know someone who tunes them well. this car is a weekend car so drivability is not a big deal.

"this car is a weekend car so drivability is not a big deal."

Wow, guess you havent driven a car with big holes and flatspots like multithrottle MAP sensor cars tend to have, Another option is to put an AFM guts into the stainless intake and hook that up to the autronic, then you can run one afm and its hidden.

Dont understand the drivability thing. Surely thats the difference between a good tune and a bad tune? If you are just looking for wide open throttle then put a Microtech Digi on it :)