SAU Community

Car got tuned today...

PranK

Sams Performance is getting a seriously good name with regards to Gen III's and LS1 Edit. A mate's VX II R8 was dynoed there a few weeks ago and made considerable gains and was very impressed with the knowledge on hand.

Definitely a V8 place though. Thought you'd have to bring your own tuner...

Adrian

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah there was one hella tuff black hsv with ls1 engine... i didn't know anything i saw in that engine bay coz my knowlege on v8s r minimal... :cheers:

there were cars from everywhere... victoria, canberra etcetc..

i brought HITMAN with me.... got 225kw @ 4wheels

Originally posted by Mr R32 M-Spec

for people with GTR's though, how do you guys get it sideways through a corner?

Allegedly, attempting to overtake a 1st gen RX7 around a tight corner will do it :cheers:

The torque split controller in GTRs feeds power to the rear wheels, as such it drives like a GTS-t would. When it detects wheelspin it starts feeding torque to the front wheels to a maximum ratio of 50:50. Quite different to a WRX which drives all 4 wheels all the time.

Naturally the reason why you need a 4WD dyno for a GTR is because on a normal dyno, as soon as it senses the rear wheels turning and the front wheels are stopped it goes "oh shit, wheelspin!" and feeds power to the front. The car then procedes to add a new window in the workshop :D

Hi guys,

Sorry to jump in here but I have a question.

First off congrats to Prank, very nice numbers...

But that is the source of my question.

My GTR has 2530's, dumps, full exhaust, power fc, hks intercooler and is making 320hp at all 4 on 1.15bar on a dyno dynamics dyno. If Christian is getting 280 on standard turbos shouldn't I be getting a lot more than I am with the same boost??? I am only running that because the injectors are getting close to maximum and will run 1.4 once i have bigger ones, but I'm curious as to why my numbers appear so low compared to standard turbo gtr's..

It's not just Pranks car either, others talk about 300 + on standard turbos so do ya think mines not tuned right?? The a/f's are spot on says my tuner...

Just a question...

Cheers

Brett

Remeber that output is largly related to boost. ie. if everyone that owns a GTR runs 1 bar of boost then hp should be reasonably close. The main reason that you usually upgrade turbos is so that you can run more boost and then make bigger hp.

Hope this helps.

I only recently witnessed how dynos can tell some big fat porkies. Two different cars and dynos.

Ones, I went for a drive in a 180rwks RB25DET, felt it too. Plenty of top end, and pulled nicely. (stock turbo)

The very next day a friend got his car tuned, and turned out a 185rwks reading.(HKS 2530) Imagine my surprise when he took me for a drive that night.

This thing stuggles for grip all the way thru 2nd slewing the car sideways, and pulls much harder in 3rd. There is no way these cars had remotely the same power.

There would be at least a 1.5-2.0 second difference in the 1/4 times. Im guessing close to flat 14 for one, and a high 12 for the other.

I always thought that no matter what turbo u had, 1 bar of boost was 1 bar of boost.....

I mean at the throttle the same amount of air is coming through no matter what has pushed that air through??? you're still getting 1 bar of boost into ur engine weather a T88's supplying that much pressure of 2540's are????

am I wrong???

can someone clear that up??

Ha ha, I asked this question in another thread.

Boost is just pressure. 1 bar = 1 bar you are right.

But 1 bar from a huge turbo flows heaps more air than 1 bar with a small turbo.

Originally posted by B-Man

But 1 bar from a huge turbo flows heaps more air than 1 bar with a small turbo.

that's the part I don't get????

logic would say that 1 bar of pressure is 1 bar of pressure... the measurement doesnt change just because 1 turbo's bigger than another????

if the bigger turbo is flowing more air than that can't be 1 bar???

can someone clarify??

No. Dont confuse volume of air with pressure. Pressure is a force, volume is a unit of measureing how much space is being used.

The way I understand it is, a larger turbo flows the same pressure over a larger area. Think about blowing air through a thin straw at 5 psi, then blow 5psi through a straw with a bigger hole, which straw will more air?