SAU Community

Car Won't Run Had To Disconnect Aftermarket Bov To Keep Car Running ?

Hi can anyone shed any light on why when I hook up the BOV it keeps revving up and down up and down and then will eventually stall (i feel like a knob when driving it as it sounds like i'm allways revving it up for a race or something), it's hard to drive like this so I have just removed the vacume hose from it.

I have tried adjusting the screw at the top of it but it makes no difference, the BOV is a GREDDY type RS knock-off only a few months old so can't imagine it bieng faulty. The other end of pipe that used to go to the stock BOV has been blocked off properly.

post-11382-1183875445_thumb.jpg

Yes I'm of half a mind to whip it off and pull it apart and fiddle with it's insides, not sure such a good Idea but seen the car can run ok without the air hose hooked up, can't really hurt anything other than my wallet if I wreck it. Although it did sound impressive (seemed to be working correctly) when changing gears....

Can you see the piston down the trumpet, see if its jammed open, it may have a broken spring causing it to open under light vacuum, have you tried putting your hand over the trumpet to see if it fixes it?

Can you see the piston down the trumpet, see if its jammed open, it may have a broken spring causing it to open under light vacuum, have you tried putting your hand over the trumpet to see if it fixes it?

Yes tried that (putting my hand over the trumpet), and yes it seemed to imrove it, unfortunately I can't see the piston but will have a feel for it now.

Its obviously to loose and allowing air to escape when idleing causing your stalling problems. They spring rate itself may not be adjustable on this bov you have and you might wanna consider something out of the turbosmart range which are fulling adjustable. I have a type 2 - vee port, which works fine and no stalling issue's if you wind it up enough.

The BOV is supposed to be new and it looks new and nothing looking broken or seized though a nylon locking screw on the main thread/shaft inside it seemed to be what looked like all the way out, so I have screwed it all the way down (which made no difference) except what sounded like it was now constantly leaking air. I have now just clamped the hose going to it so the car runs, I will take it apart one last time and adjust the internal screw to half way down this thread if no luck with that I will take it too another mechanic this week sometime to see if they can shed some light on the subject. Yes I'd like to get a Turbo Smart BOV but would like to be cirtain mine is stuffed and actually needs replacing, rather than finding out it was a $2 hose somewhere else. Maybe I should get them to do a tune on it as the previous owner put this new BOV and FMIC on and it has not been tuned since, he did admit to saying it could do with a tune when I bought it....

Its obviously to loose and allowing air to escape when idleing causing your stalling problems. They spring rate itself may not be adjustable on this bov you have and you might wanna consider something out of the turbosmart range which are fulling adjustable. I have a type 2 - vee port, which works fine and no stalling issue's if you wind it up enough.

Yep, exactly right. The BOV is pretty much causing a vacuum leak and causing your car to stall. Been covered a million times. I see this happen a lot with cheap knock off BOV's and your better of in investing in a brand name one where you can adjust the spring tension.