SAU Community

Importing A Pre Owned Car

Guys,

a quick question about importing a car i have owned for over 12 months.

The problem is that its a track car only and has not been registered at any time i owned it. I brought it as a very very second hand junker sitting in the sun for 3 years, i have the import papers for this car from the import yard i purchased it from in the UAE.

Now my question is can this car be brought back to Australia as a personal import even though it is a track / race car.

I have all the reciepts from the parts i have brought for this car and workshops that have done work on it during this time frame. I even have the reciepts for the times the car has been entered into events in the UAE. I have my local FIA national racing licence here in the UAE, would i need anything else to import the car back to Australia.

you could certainly import it as a race only car to aus, but the only people who can properly answer this question for you are DOTARS. My advice would be 2 things. ask dotars for advice, and secondly register the car in UAE before you leave.

BB not possible to register the car in the UAE without converting to LHD.

I have spoken with DOTARS and they dont know either! The person i spoke to said they would get back to me about 3 months ago, glad i wasnt holding my breath.

My understanding is that i only need to prove i own it which i can do and that i use it which i can also prove as i have reciepts from over 12 months ago showing both entry into events, parts and repairs to the car during the 12 month period.

BB not possible to register the car in the UAE without converting to LHD.

I have spoken with DOTARS and they dont know either! The person i spoke to said they would get back to me about 3 months ago, glad i wasnt holding my breath.

My understanding is that i only need to prove i own it which i can do and that i use it which i can also prove as i have reciepts from over 12 months ago showing both entry into events, parts and repairs to the car during the 12 month period.

well how the hell did the RHD japanese car end up in the UAE in the first place if it couldnt be registered?

Theoretically you could ship it back as a race only import, and provide the details from where it came. I didnt think registration had anything to do with it...

Edited by m3gtr

I imported a car as a personal import last year and DOTARS seemed pretty relaxed about the paperwork. Things like official translations and car parking permits are on the list of paperwork you have to submit but I tried with out them and I got approval.

Not sure if this helps.

I'm pretty sure you can bring it in as a personal import....for example someone was looking at bringing a R390 to aus under the same rules lol. If you get rejected or a definate no from DOTARS it can definately come in as race only use but then it can never be registered except as a dedicated rally car

dodgybrooks they want the parking permits etc to prove you owned it for 12 months, and they are familiar with jap regs....pretty sure they won't be with UAE rules!

WHAT RULES :-)

And they use to convert them to LHD to drive but they stopped that unless you know the right people.

Few pic of my mates R34 GTR

post-28646-1184010214_thumb.jpg

post-28646-1184010256_thumb.jpg

post-28646-1184010283_thumb.jpg

Edited by tacker

dodgybrooks they want the parking permits etc to prove you owned it for 12 months, and they are familiar with jap regs....pretty sure they won't be with UAE rules!

Yea I'd say DOTARs see a few more cars coming from Japan than the UAE. But the point was they seem pretty lax. I'd send in your 50bux, the paperwork you have and see how you go.