SAU Community

Gran Turismo 3 Drifting

GFXman

ok......so my supra is shit right? cuz it has to much horse power. so downshift instead of upshifting. ok i got all that, but one thing i have to ask is "what do u mean by brake" is that the regular brake or the e-brake........when i try to drift i use the e-brake....but i'm trying to use the regular brake now to get the feell for it.....oh and another thing rezz.......when i drift my car goes like this...........straight, turns a little to the left/right depending on the angle of the corner, strightens out for some reason, then turns into the corner, stops sliding, gains traction, and then its over......and when its over i'm 3 quarters the way through a hairpin or a big corner........any suggestions on what the hell goes wrong? cuz i sure as hell dont!!!!! oh and for the 240zx what are the setups for it cuz i dont know what to tweak and what to tweak? thx.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I have to ask... whats an "e" Brake?

When I explained my controller setup, I said "brake" is Square button, and "Handbrake" (sidebrake in AmEnglish?) is Cicle button. When I explained above, I meant the "brake", not the "Handbrake"... (f@ck, why was that confusing?)

...as a side note, I'd recommend you don't get into using the handbrake just yet. Get the hang of entering the corners correctly first.

I'd say that when you said "it turns a little... then straightens out a bit for some reason", it's because your allowing the car to regain traction. For a lefthand corner: Approach the corner at about 100km/h (60mph?) and turn full-lock to the right, then full-lock to the left, at the same time you turn full-lock to the left, give it full throttle to initiate wheelspin. As the cars rear end gets about 30 degrees out, countersteer to the right to "catch" the momentum of the rear end. To sustain the "drift pose", keep steering between dead-center and full-lock right, while "tapping" the accelerator button to keep the car at about 30 degrees angle.

Try these settings for the 180SX (240?sx in the US? I don't know):

The Nissan 180SX is the best drift car. The SR20 powered Silvia`s are also good, but the S15 is a little too top endy in it`s power delivery, so to keep it sliding at the limit is more difficult than the others.

Why the 180? Well, the SR in that model (in the game) has the bulk of it`s torque around 3-4000rpm, you need this to be able to tap the accel and get instant wheelspin at lower speeds, and to be able to "steer" the car with the throttle. Also, on it`s lowest ride height at the front, the 180 has excellent stance making the front end really stable... this is apparent in the low to mid-speed corners.

The settings:

SUSPENSION

Spring Rate: (F) 5.2 ®16.2

Ride Height: (F) 89mm ® 89mm

Damper Bump: (F) 2 ® 8

Damper Rebound: (F) 2 ® 8

Camber: (F) 10.0 ® 2.0

Toe: (F) 2.0 ® -2.0

Stabilizer: (F) Level 1 ® Level 7

BRAKES

Brake Balance: (F) 20 ® 15

GEARING

L.S.D. Initial Torque: ® 30

LSD Accel: ® 40

LSD Brake: ® 30

GEARBOX

1st: 3.012

2nd: 2.302

3rd: 1.820

4th: 1.501

5th: 1.245

6th: 0.874

Final: 4.083

Auto Setting: Level 21

ASM (Active stability controller) and TCS (Traction Control System): Obviously set to 0.

*edit* IMPORTANT! Super Soft slicks on the front, with normal tyres on the Rear. Also, fully tune the engine, 500+ps is perfect power, no too much for the slow stuff, and not too little for the high-speed corners like at Apricot Hill.

Explanation: Honestly, keep the Camber set to 10 degrees on the front. This "lowers" the car even more, and it increases the overall track width, giving more stable (and higher speed) drift ability. The gears ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT!!! That box is set. You won`t need 6th, and the other gears are set so close that it provides power wheelspin at any time (just select the right gear for the trackspeed).

Originally posted by GFXman

haha i said it before and i'll say it again

YOU'RE A NUT!

LOL :(

Aye, thaat be true meeete...:D

well guys i'm bout ready to give up.......i just cannot get it right......lets face it guys. i suck at drifting. i just dont no damn clue as what to do (hey that rhymed). rezz i really need a video thats shows what ur doing.....ya know when u go into the replay options and u can set up this thing where it shows when ur braking and accelarating and steering. if i could see something like that i think i would know what the hell to do.....but until then i just gonna stick to grip driving i think

I got the GT Force wheel, but connecting drifts (requiring a furious right full lock-left full lock action) almost had me snapping the wheel off...

...not to mention wierd "handbrake on the steering wheel" button location. Much prefer a real handbrake for sure... aaah Logitech? How bout it?

ok, i have been playing around some more with my drifting style. Still faaaaaarrrr from perfect but getting the hang of it now. Lots of subtle control is required ;)

I'll try and get a video of it over the weekend. Then you can comment on my technique :)

I have found the Mazda RX7 RZ a really nice car to drift.

Will post my setup settings too. Rezz, I really didn't find your settings worked for me... dunno why.

hey i tried a sprinter trueno gt apex (ae86) and it drifts really nice.....only downside is that it isnt very fast.....plus those specs u gave me rezz didnt really work, all the car did was just spin out....i dont know what happened but that 240sx thing just didnt have enough go for me.....can one of u try to find a fast good drifting car?

Okay, I agree with Rezz - the 180sx (or 200SX Type X in AUstralian GT3) is by far the best and easiest car to drift in.

Here are the settings I use:

Car: Nissan 200sx Type X

Mods: Everything

Approx HP: About 460hp

----- Tyre Choice-----

Front: Racing Super Soft

Rear: Normal

----- Suspension -----

Spring Rate

Front: 6.0

Rear: 7.9

Ride Height

Front: As low as it can go

Rear: Just a touch higher than the front

Damper Bump

Front: 5

Rear: 7

Damper Rebound

Front: 6

Rear: 7

Camber

Front: 10

Rear: 0.5

Toe

Front: 0.5

Rear: 1.5

Stabiliser

Front: 3

Rear: 3

----- Brakes -----

Front: 4

Rear: 24

----- Gearing -----

LSD Initial

Rear: 50

LSD Accel

Rear: 50

LSD Decel

Rear: 10

Gear Ratio

I just set this to be about 21 or 22 (auto setup) and then changethe 6th gear to be as low as it will go. This gives you maximum torque in all the gears but lets you stretch the legs a bit on 6th.

----- Others -----

Down Force

Front: n/a

Rear: 0

Traction Control

Stability Control

This setup I have found gives awesome control of the car. Extremely responsive steering and so much available torque you can spin the wheels in any gear.

For an explanation of drift techniques. It even explains how to do them:

http://www.driftsession.com/technique.htm

I find that my style of drifting is mainly the Feint Drift and Power Over. However I also use the other styles when needed like Braking Drift for slow corners, E-Brake Drift for quick flicks like linking corners and Kansei Drift for high speed corners.

Hope this helps some for those having troubles. I'll try and get some footage of my drifting asap.